Xiaomi In-Ear Headphones Pro HD (2 +1 Hybrid)
Nov 15, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #31 of 888
  Is the cord braided like the the previous version? Can't tell from the pics. 

As I mentioned in my quick review, the cord is full TPE plastic now, but the quality of the plastic is much nicer than most earbud cords in that the rebound rate of the plastic is much higher. Most earbuds when you bend the cord beyond a certain degree it will stay bent at an angle, this one straightens itself out.

Waiting for my pair to arrive in the mail as well. Can't wait. Will be comparing them against my 1More Triple Driver.

1More triple driver is 1DD + 2BA vs 2DD + 1BA for the xiaomi pistons/hybrid gen 5.  Would be interesting to see the difference as both are made by the same company.

Nov 16, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #32 of 888
Thanks for the insights @ricemanhk . I have always been a fan of Xiaomi IEMs (except the Piston Air capsules, lol)

It's really amazing that they are using graphene-coated driver this time. I just got myself a $100 Maxell graphene IEM from Japan last week, and now Xiaomi has already followed suit for just $25... ^^;

I think I will be getting a pair soon.

Cheers.

Nov 16, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #34 of 888
Did anyone managed to compare them with the HiFiMAN RE-00 - the massdrop version?
I wonder which one to order. I know I should order them both and compare myself but any other opinion will be great :)

I currently own the Gen 4 Hybrids and I have mixed feelings for them. On my Note 4 I don't like them at all - they are too bassy and muddy. On the other hand through FiiO Olympus 2 I like them - more open, wide and clear.

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #35 of 888
Im happy with the pistón 3, love the balanced sounds but for comute i use the hybrids, like the extra punch and better resolution. Now im waiting for this in ear pro from banggood.
Btw, any of this pistón sound quite great director from my FiiO x7 with the bassic amp

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #36 of 888
How is the maxell

Sorry OOT. Reminds me a bit of Vivo XE-800. Nice treble extension, somewhat bright, but still have the punch and detail. Still burning them in. Will use it for acoustic/jazz stuff.

Nov 17, 2016 at 5:33 AM Post #39 of 888
  I just got them in Xiaomi store. Let's see what they've got.

Looking forward to your impressions 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #40 of 888
Arrived this morning (http://i.imgur.com/luZJIoY.jpg) Can't post pictures directly, sorry.

Living in China so bought them direct from Xiaomi for 149RMB ($21.50US)

My current daily driver is the previous iteration, the Hybrid, 'HD Audio' etc original 'In-Ear Headphones Pro'. The previous Pro had amazing bass, but was a little muddy throughout pretty much all mids and highs. Made it easy to listen to music at very high volumes because everything sounded pretty soft through them. 

The new Pro HD is definitely much clearer, with way better mids and highs, but it has far less bass. I find myself turning songs down because the highs are so clear/sharp that it is a little painful at full volume. There are a couple of chillstep tracks where the bass goes so low that the earphones can't handle it, and it makes a rattling/static noise as it struggles to reproduce the sound. This is at full volume with bass boost, so it's not totally unforgivable - but it's a limit I never reached with the old ones. Switching them out and hearing the old ones play a song where the new, more expensive ones, can't is a shame. 

Ultimately, I don't think they're better than the previous Pros, just different. The previous ones are much better for jamming at high volumes, and listening to bass-heavy music like dubstep and some electronic stuff. The new Pro HD is great for movies, acoustic guitar, games etc because of the higher clarity.

Given that they're 50% more expensive, (99RMB vs 149RMB) I feel a little disappointed because I do tend to listen to very bassy music. For those who like the clean sound, they'll definitely appreciate them more. Still an incredible pair of earphones for $20.

Nov 17, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #41 of 888
  Arrived this morning (http://i.imgur.com/luZJIoY.jpg) Can't post pictures directly, sorry.

Living in China so bought them direct from Xiaomi for 149RMB ($21.50US)

My current daily driver is the previous iteration, the Hybrid, 'HD Audio' etc original 'In-Ear Headphones Pro'. The previous Pro had amazing bass, but was a little muddy throughout pretty much all mids and highs. Made it easy to listen to music at very high volumes because everything sounded pretty soft through them. 

The new Pro HD is definitely much clearer, with way better mids and highs, but it has far less bass. I find myself turning songs down because the highs are so clear/sharp that it is a little painful at full volume. There are a couple of chillstep tracks where the bass goes so low that the earphones can't handle it, and it makes a rattling/static noise as it struggles to reproduce the sound. This is at full volume with bass boost, so it's not totally unforgivable - but it's a limit I never reached with the old ones. Switching them out and hearing the old ones play a song where the new, more expensive ones, can't is a shame. 

Ultimately, I don't think they're better than the previous Pros, just different. The previous ones are much better for jamming at high volumes, and listening to bass-heavy music like dubstep and some electronic stuff. The new Pro HD is great for movies, acoustic guitar, games etc because of the higher clarity.

Given that they're 50% more expensive, (99RMB vs 149RMB) I feel a little disappointed because I do tend to listen to very bassy music. For those who like the clean sound, they'll definitely appreciate them more. Still an incredible pair of earphones for $20.

Thanks for the impressions, the photo looks really neat.

When you say full volume with bass boost, do you mean you're using the EQ?

Nov 17, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #42 of 888

Thanks for the impressions, the photo looks really neat.

When you say full volume with bass boost, do you mean you're using the EQ?

Yes, sir. However, after a few hours, the culprit songs are no longer causing the crackling sound, so it may have been because they were brand spanking new at the time and needed a little breaking in.

Definitely makes me feel better about them!

Nov 17, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #43 of 888

Yes, sir. However, after a few hours, the culprit songs are no longer causing the crackling sound, so it may have been because they were brand spanking new at the time and needed a little breaking in.

Definitely makes me feel better about them!

Nice 
smily_headphones1.gif
. It's good to know their treble is better because i consider the previous hybrids a little weak in that matter. I wouldn't say they had a balanced armature if i didn't know the specs of it. This time it seems to be noticeable. I only hope you find this difference a little balanced and not too bright. It's a matter of time to give those dynamic drivers a little burn in.

Nov 17, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #44 of 888
Definitely they are more neutral than the previous generations. I was expecting them to keep the V shaped spectrum with the punchy bass, the consumer line.
I'm glad they are aiming to a more analytical sound with these. Xiaomi just discovered that the lower mids exist!
I'm afraid I cannot tell much more about the sound because I'm quite new around. I don't feel like pretending I know more than I actually do so... buy one pair or ask more experienced guys if you want to know more details!

I find the isolation a bit lower than other IEMs because you cannot plug them that deep, but they are not made to protect your ear from loud noises, right?
The deeper an IEM go, the more pressure against the auditory canal is made so more bass is transmitted and that's not good to keep things balanced, so is always good to have a physical limit.

The package is really good. They have 3 more pairs of plugs to fit your ears as well a small pouch. The wire is a bit ticker so it doesn't get tangled that much.
Let's see how they age.
Note that you cannot use the volume buttons in Apple products, yet still you can play/pause, change song and use the mic.

I think for the prize is a no-brainer.

I don't see this around here (maybe I should look for more specific threads), but I'm going to throw a music recommendation that I like to test new stuff:  
Cliff Martinez - The Knick OST
Basically is dark ambient with a lot of punchy synth sounds all across the spectrum.
I'd love to hear what you guys usually listen to test!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back