Xiaomi Hybrid IEM Thread (Piston successor)
Nov 23, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #826 of 856

You might be thinking about pure graphene diaphragm - sure, that would be crazily expensive. But the so called graphene diaphragm that is coming to the headphone market right now are really composite diaphragm that contains graphene. Those are not that expensive.

Do you have any more info on this? The stuff I find from suppliers in China is still very expensive, even in bonded form with PET film.

Nov 23, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #827 of 856
  Do you have any more info on this? The stuff I find from suppliers in China is still very expensive, even in bonded form with PET film.

No more info than what you can already find online. I don't think Xiaomi is going to tell us about their supply chain anytime soon, but they are not the only one using it. **** makes an earbuds with graphene diaphragm as well, called PT15.

Dec 1, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #828 of 856
HI all,
I own this Xiaomi Hybrid IEM and the cheap KZ ATR, for me they sound really differents, but i don't know how to put it into words.

If someone own both, could you tell me the differences in term of SQ, it is
to enrich my general knowledge in technical terms.

Thx

Dec 1, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #829 of 856
HI all,
I own this Xiaomi Hybrid IEM and the cheap KZ ATR, for me they sound really differents, but i don't know how to put it into words.

If someone own both, could you tell me the differences in term of SQ, it is
to enrich my general knowledge in technical terms.

Thx

I am really interested in that as well.
I have an ATR on my way. Which do you like better?

Dec 2, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #830 of 856

Just Can tell you that for me, the Xiaomi feels premium. For the Sound, out of m'y phone(Redmi Note 3) i prefer the Xiaomi, out of m'y dap+amp it is an other story, they Sound really différent, and i have no préférence, it depends really on what kind of music i'm listen to.

Dec 14, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #834 of 856
And now there is Hybrid PRO HD version: http://www.mi.com/en/headphonesprohd/. Have anyone tried this one?

Out of the box, I already had preferred them over the original Hybrids. Treble can be a bit shrill with sibilance in some songs, but can be mitigated by inserting the tips deeper for a better seal. Added details in the mids and highs are nice compared to the originals; lows don't hit as hard, but are still clear.

Some have said they had fitting issues with the stock tips, but YMMV with your own ears. I've personally had no major problems.

Dec 14, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #835 of 856

I like the Hybrid Pro HDs much better, though I am a fan of the ATRs and own 4 sets. The Xiaomi has a broader dynamic range and is more balanced and less fatiguing.  They are also, to me, much more comfortable to wear.  The fit to the ATRs is finicky, and the cable is annoying to route.  That being said, the ATRs are a great value (which is why I bought extras), but not a good every day choice for me....... I listen to music a lot at work, so need to be able to pop IEMs in and out when customers and colleagues are around so I look like a "team player," and the ATRs are not suitable to that.  I do listen to the ATRs a lot around the house, and while working in the yard or whatever...... they are a great sounding set of "beaters" that are not so expensive that one would cry if they broke.  

I guess it depends on your budget and your intended use. 
rolleyes.gif
  Sounds quality of the Xiaomis is superior, but the price point of the ATR makes them a good choice,

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #836 of 856
I too have bought a set of the new Hybrid Pro, and am pretty happy with it. Doesn't seem to have the dip in the Freq Response that the earlier model has/had, and it has less distortion in bass and midrange - the dynamic driver(s) seems a closer match to the BA portion. IMHO, a noticeable improvement, making these even more ridiculously good for the price. When I've landed, I'm swooning over my Black Friday Koss Electrostats; when I'm mobile the Hybrid Pro are keeping me happy! Pretty sure I'm sending back the HifiMan Waterline; the RE0 actually has more bass - WT???

Edit - HifiMan Waterline, not Xiaomi Songbird [duh]. And, with a little judicious EQ, not so bad. Comply help, like they do with the RE0...

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #837 of 856
After 6 months or so, mine have probably become defective. The left earphone has started to pass an electrical current onto my ear. Very painful. Coincidentally I've its successor on order, but if that one will show the same defect at any point in time, I'll definitely reconsider buying Xiaomi earphones. Apart from pain, not going to play roulette with my health.

Mar 3, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #838 of 856
  After 6 months or so, mine have probably become defective. The left earphone has started to pass an electrical current onto my ear. Very painful. Coincidentally I've its successor on order, but if that one will show the same defect at any point in time, I'll definitely reconsider buying Xiaomi earphones. Apart from pain, not going to play roulette with my health.

i'm wondering how an electrical current gets passed onto your ear in this case. what is your earphone plugged into when this happens? is there any physical defect of the earphone visible? sounds serious.

Mar 3, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #839 of 856
  i'm wondering how an electrical current gets passed onto your ear in this case. what is your earphone plugged into when this happens? is there any physical defect of the earphone visible? sounds serious.

No defect visible from the exterior. It's plugged into my PC at the moment. I'm quite sure the problem lies with the earphones, as others on Head-Fi and elsewhere have reported it also, and for a solid half year this has never occurred. Google "xiaomi piston hybrid electric shock", and you'll find plenty of results. Oddly enough it's only the left earphone, while the right is perfectly fine. Somehow an electrical current is passing through the metal casing, as when I touch the casing with my finger while the earphone is out of my ear, I can hear electrical interference in the right earphone that is situated in my ear.

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #840 of 856
  No defect visible from the exterior. It's plugged into my PC at the moment. I'm quite sure the problem lies with the earphones, as others on Head-Fi and elsewhere have reported it also, and for a solid half year this has never occurred. Google "xiaomi piston hybrid electric shock", and you'll find plenty of results. Oddly enough it's only the left earphone, while the right is perfectly fine. Somehow an electrical current is passing through the metal casing, as when I touch the casing with my finger while the earphone is out of my ear, I can hear electrical interference in the right earphone that is situated in my ear.

Plenty of results would be a serious stretch. Each result I found most sensibly attributes the occurrence to static electricity. The cloth cable rubbing clothing is the likely source of the buildup, and the metal shell provides the path for the discharge. Other brands were reported as causing a similar effect - this is not a Xiaomi exclusive. Certainly the inner ear can be a rough place to get a static electric burst. Current won't be high, but voltage can be in the tens of thousands. The electrons are just waiting for a place to go. If the grounding to 'earth' of the cable/player/computer isn't good, your body is as good a place as any for those electrons to jump. Yowser! 

Short story? Bad ground, good static, nasty zap. Static happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back