Xiaomi Hybrid IEM Thread (Piston successor)
Dec 8, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #331 of 856
My hybrids got some mic malfunction and the seller kindly enough to warranty it. During the time I secretly ordering a KZ Ate. The hybrids will be surprised when he returns he's no longer the favorite child with mic and control in the family .. Perhaps might even sold to another parent for his misbehaving muahahaha.!! get that you Xiaomi. :wink:

In my opinion the Xiaomi is quite a bit better than the Kz phones. It's only my opinion but I own almost every model of Kz phone that is worth anything sonically.

Just my opinion but my Ates and Ed9 remain in my drawer.

:grinning::grinning: TWIN

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #332 of 856
In my opinion the Xiaomi is quite a bit better than the Kz phones. It's only my opinion but I own almost every model of Kz phone that is worth anything sonically.

You're not alone, I've been a fan of KZ earphones for over a year now, I too have almost everything they've ever done including some discontinued models and nothing comes close to these hybrids.

Dec 8, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #333 of 856
  You're not alone, I've been a fan of KZ earphones for over a year now, I too have almost everything they've ever done including some discontinued models and nothing comes close to these hybrids.

cool.gif
From What I've been Reading Big Gear, there must be huge manufacturing differences in these phones.

Great Build, Great sound. Apparently I got the Luck of the Draw.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Dec 8, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #334 of 856

"Analogy doesn't work but good try."

You're right of course. I was being facetious. A much better analogy would be that to one person the wine tasted much better when it was first made and to another it was undrinkable until it had aged half a decade. Just as everyone's taste is different (some like box wine and some won't drink anything under 75 dollars a bottle) so is how everyone hears music, especially with these little devices crammed directly into our ear canals. Personally I can't imagine how anyone can judge the sound of a headphone playing electronica or dubtep (or any other electronic music) since there really is no standard for what a synthesizer is supposed to sound like. Actually, when you think about it, it's pretty amazing that even Dollar Store throw aways sound like they do and you can still easily differentiate between a piano and a guitar. All we're doing here on Head Fi is arguing the tiny minutiae of sound characteristics. 
blink.gif

cool.gif
That's why I sometimes make my opinion or first impression/ reviews VERY Short.

Either you like them or you don't. It's really pretty simple.

It seems that "AUDIOPHILE GRADE" is the Yardstick to measure by. Ruler Flat, Neutral, Huge Width, Depth, Height to the Soundstage and Laserlike Detail and Clarity with absolutely NO bleedover of any frequencies.

A lot of times this Translates into BORING.

Sometimes I want Chocolate instead of Vanilla

JMHO

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Dec 9, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #336 of 856

Strange...weren't you one of the members who hyped KZ the most?

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #337 of 856
  Strange...weren't you one of the members who hyped KZ the most?

Twin did.
Personally,
Having the choice between the Hybrid and the KZs I own I reached for the ZS1 all the time.

Why? Amazingly despite that awesome bass it has great details and clarity. Which the Hybrid doesn't.

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #338 of 856

Twin did.
Personally,
Having the choice between the Hybrid and the KZs I own I reached for the ZS1 all the time.

Why? Amazingly despite that awesome bass it has great details and clarity. Which the Hybrid doesn't.

Ech. Okay, yeah, I mean, I'm a fan of the 2.0 and 3.0, but the Hybrids did not cut it for me. As in, I'd take the 2.0 over the Hybrids any day. 

If by "details and clarity" you mean treble quantity, then yeah, the Hybrid has a definite lack of that. But  in terms of detail retrieval I kinda found them to perform similarly to the Pistons line. Still, the weird treble dip is really confusing. Luca Bignardi probably has weird hearing. No offense, Luca, but I suggest sticking to mixing and mastering recordings instead of tuning earphones, because you suck at it. 

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #339 of 856
Twin did.
Personally,

I'm still trying to form a proper impression - audiophile noob and all of my listening is done to-fro work while scanning reddit, so not exactly the most critical of listening!

What I'm hearing is a dark signature with punchy bass, good separation and clarity.

What I like is that when the bass starts to boom, it doesn't affect the mids or treble. With the zircons and ed10, I find the treble and mids can get slightly drowned out during the bass heavy parts of the song. With the hybrids, great clarity throughout the song - no bass bloat or muddiness at all.

Detail can be lacking, especially with guitars and female vocals. These hybrids suck with bright songs; they really shine with EDM, trance, rock.

Does that sound right or am I using the wrong terms?

Dec 9, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #340 of 856
  Ech. Okay, yeah, I mean, I'm a fan of the 2.0 and 3.0, but the Hybrids did not cut it for me. As in, I'd take the 2.0 over the Hybrids any day. 

If by "details and clarity" you mean treble quantity, then yeah, the Hybrid has a definite lack of that. But  in terms of detail retrieval I kinda found them to perform similarly to the Pistons line. Still, the weird treble dip is really confusing. Luca Bignardi probably has weird hearing. No offense, Luca, but I suggest sticking to mixing and mastering recordings instead of tuning earphones, because you suck at it. 

Which the whole Pistons line hasn't done well in.

Dec 9, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #341 of 856
cool.gif
Of COURSE I like and Support KZ Earphones. As a matter of fact I have 2 on the way now. ED4 and EDS2.

But that doesn't mean there aren't better and more expensive earphones out there.

THERE ARE TONS OF NEW ONES EVERY WEEK. You would go broke trying to keep up.

My Favorites so Far are:

PURO IEM500  (Easily the Best overall)
Carot One Titta ( Best critical listening 'phone VERY NEUTRAL not for everyone)
Trinity Delta (Great All arounder with customizable EQ via Nozzles)
BETTE ( Probably equals Puro except it is a Tad Bright and edgy for my Tastes)
Carbo Tenore (another very nice Phone)

These are what I travel with and rotate them depending on Material. If I was to Pick ONE KZ to include it would be the EDSE. A lot would disagree but I like it's signature. If It wasn't so damn uncomfortable to my ears, (it irritates the hell out of them) my Personal opinion for best Sound in the KZ line would be hands down the KZ ANV. It seems if you have the original they are quite expensive now. Over $40 from what I've seen.

JMHO

and yes, I am anxious to hear the 2 new KZ's....

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Dec 9, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #342 of 856
cool.gif
Guys I'm still of the impression that there are VAST differences in the QC and manufacturing of these first set of Xiaomi Hybrids. This is based SOLELY on others opinions and reviews. You can't mistake Dark from Bright, detailed from Muddy or Bass from No bass, IF everyone is getting a Proper fit with their respective eartips.

My Pair after 200 HOURS on them are pretty Damn good. They absolutely have treble, vocals are apparent and not hidden, Bass is tight and plentiful with a Tad of bleedover into low mids. But it is a far cry from my OOTB impressions. The Detail is excellent for what it is: a $20 pair of earphones.

Are they Giant Killers? I doubt it, but still mine sound pretty damn good.

I'm taking them with me tonight for a Real extended at-Volume listen.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Dec 9, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #343 of 856
Second time I've heard mention of the Puro IEM500!

Really curious about them now.

Dec 9, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #344 of 856
Second time I've heard mention of the Puro IEM500!

Really curious about them now.

cool.gif
Superb 'phones. There is a thread here on the forum. Be forewarned they are POWER Hungry, But when you give it to them,

WOW.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/786861/puro-sound-labs-puro-ie500iem-impessions-and-discussion/405#post_12137636

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Dec 9, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #345 of 856

cool.gif
Guys I'm still of the impression that there are VAST differences in the QC and manufacturing of these first set of Xiaomi Hybrids. This is based SOLELY on others opinions and reviews. You can't mistake Dark from Bright, detailed from Muddy or Bass from No bass, IF everyone is getting a Proper fit with their respective eartips.

My Pair after 200 HOURS on them are pretty Damn good. They absolutely have treble, vocals are apparent and not hidden, Bass is tight and plentiful with a Tad of bleedover into low mids. But it is a far cry from my OOTB impressions. The Detail is excellent for what it is: a $20 pair of earphones.

Are they Giant Killers? I doubt it, but still mine sound pretty damn good.

I'm taking them with me tonight for a Real extended at-Volume listen.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

TWIN, you ought to put out a ranking of your favorite IEMs.  Maybe two price categories: under $50 and over $50 (or something similar).  Just a suggestion...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back