Xiaomi Hybrid IEM Thread (Piston successor)
Jan 24, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #571 of 856
hi may i asj for a advice? i really like these eaphones when i use them with my Xiaomi phone with Dirac sound ON....but when i connect them to my laptop the sound is terrible, flat, no bass at all....does anyone have the same problem? or i got faulty product? Thanks

Jan 24, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #572 of 856
I would recommend these to a friend if getting a good one is not a lottery. Xiaomi should improve their quality control. I wasn't expecting to have two different sounding units since I bought them at the same time from the same seller so the chances of them being from the same production batch is very high.
If you are feeling lucky, go ahead and buy some. But until Xiaomi implements better QC, I couldn't recommend it if bought online. If it's from a store, then test before buying.

Jan 24, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #574 of 856
That's a hard question - I like both to be honest. Since I am one of the people that apparently got a Hybrid with working BA I find the Hybrid maybe a bit less warm than the Piston 3.

I took them both out just now to compare them. For modern music I like both - the Piston 3 might be less analytical but the music is easier to listen to - so a plus there. As for classical music I just listened to the beginning of the Passacaglia & Fugue by Bach (Respighi orchestral version) that has some very low brass instruments at the start and that is something where the Piston 3 struggles slightly in comparison to the Hybrid it seems - it lacks some of the "brassiness/overtones". (If you want to listen to the piece, here's a YouTube version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChqQFyGmit4 - the beginning is a basshead's orchestral dream I guess :wink: ). 

Last but not least there's the fit: I feel the Piston 3 Dazzle much less than the Hybrids when I wear them for some time. Might be the lower weight, since the Dazzle version has a plastic housing, might be some other factor, I don't know.

So in conclusion I'd say the Piston 3s are less analytical but easier to listen to and for a third of the money definitely a very viable option. It won't be miles better than the Hybrid - both are very good headphones at their price point. But that's of course just my opinion and might not be what others experience.

Great and extremely detailed answer. Thank you very much I will take it into consideration before ordering again. To be honest I feel that I must be lucky with Hybrids and I am afraid of a lemon. I'm also considering 1More Voice of China at the same price that seem to be better than Piston 3 and maybe Hybrid.

Jan 25, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #575 of 856
i wasn't aware of manufacturing problems when i ordered mine from gearbest. they still haven't arrived, so how will i know if i've got a dodgy pair? has anybody had any experiences with getting refunds or replacements from gearbest?

Jan 25, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #576 of 856
Anyone else getting quite a bit of microphonics with these earbuds? These are my first pair of better earphones after using stock apple ones for a while. Everytime I move my head there is a  noticeable rustling sound. Btw I ordered them from gearbest.

Jan 26, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #578 of 856
Received my hybrids... have a mixed feeling about them. low/bass sounds great, mids also enjoyable, but treble/highs seems to be quite missing. Compared them with the Pistons 3 and 2, and the sound is more 'darker' as some others seem to call it.
Don't know wether it's a defect or just the sound it should produce...

Jan 29, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #580 of 856
just got my hybrids and they sound good. fwiw i'm 'upgrading' from philips SHE3580s (hardly breaking the bank i know, but i'm an earbud guy more than an IEM guy) and the xiaomi's sound a lot 'crisper' in the mids and highs. the bass right now is a little boomy to be honest, not a whole lot of definition, but hopefully it will settle in after more listening.

my question is about android; the in-line controls work fine on my girlfriend's phone but not on my phone. on my phone i can start and stop playback and skip songs using the middle button, but volume controls don't work. on my girlfriend's phone, everything works. it's probably a software problem with my phone, but does anybody know a way to fix this?

Jan 30, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #581 of 856
  i wasn't aware of manufacturing problems when i ordered mine from gearbest. they still haven't arrived, so how will i know if i've got a dodgy pair? has anybody had any experiences with getting refunds or replacements from gearbest?

Hi ext23,

I can't really call it "manufacturing problem" if Xiaomi expects differences in the out-of-the-box sound of their IEM's and make their customers hope and pray for changes after extended use. I bought two at the same time and they sound different: one is muddy and I really dislike, the other I love.
I remembered going back to this forum after listening to Scott Callum's audition and add some more words of appreciation for this great pair of IEM. If my brother's pair improves I'll report back here.

Just to add, this pair that I'm using is not dark at all. I think bright and crispy are better description? Is crispy even an adjective used for IEMs? Maybe it's what you call fast (fast-decay of frequency?)? I especially appreciate them when listening to mostly vocal performances: 

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #582 of 856
Originally Posted by ext23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

my question is about android; the in-line controls work fine on my girlfriend's phone but not on my phone. on my phone i can start and stop playback and skip songs using the middle button, but volume controls don't work. on my girlfriend's phone, everything works. it's probably a software problem with my phone, but does anybody know a way to fix this?

The volume buttons don't work on all phones (far from it). As far as I know, they don't work on any Apple phones. On Android they work on some. On my phone (Nexus 4) is the same; only the middle button is recognized.

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #583 of 856
  The volume buttons don't work on all phones (far from it). As far as I know, they don't work on any Apple phones. On Android they work on some. On my phone (Nexus 4) is the same; only the middle button is recognized.

thanks. that's annoying but less annoying knowing that i can't do anything about it. i've learned to sort of deal with just having the middle button and using multiple presses to control playback.

Feb 4, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #584 of 856

The volume buttons were designed to work on Xiaomi phones. As far as I know, they don't work on any Apple phones. On Android they work on some. On my phone (Nexus 4) is the same; only the middle button is recognized.

^ FTFY. It seems very few understand that Xiaomi also manufacture their own mobile devices and as such, design their earphones to be used with their phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back