XFi Xtrememusic worth it?
May 30, 2007 at 12:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Xhristmas

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,
I'm planning to buy a Creative X-fi Xtrememusic sound card to replace my Soundblaster Live! 24 bit.
My preferred headphones currently are Sennheiser HD437's, but I might be getting a pair of HD580's as a hand me down in a few months (hopefully!)
I'll be using it for mostly movies and music, I don't game at all.
So, will this be worth it? Or should I just stick to my current sound card?

May 30, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #2 of 35
If you don't plan on gaming or 5.1 stick with the Live 24-bit. If you want to watch movies in 5.1, I'd recommend the Audigy 2 ZS, which can be had cheaper than the Xi-Fi. The reason I recommend the Audigy 2 ZS for 5.1 movies is I believe that it has 5.1 discrete audio outputs, while the Xi-Fi does not.

The Xi-Fi is mainly useful when it comes to gaming.

May 30, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #3 of 35
Oh, ok, thanks very much.

Thank god I decided to post first before buying, I would've wasted a ton of money.

Are there any other sound cards that I should consider other than the Audigy?

May 30, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #4 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ex0du5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't plan on gaming or 5.1 stick with the Live 24-bit. If you want to watch movies in 5.1, I'd recommend the Audigy 2 ZS, which can be had cheaper than the Xi-Fi. The reason I recommend the Audigy 2 ZS for 5.1 movies is I believe that it has 5.1 discrete audio outputs, while the Xi-Fi does not.

The Xi-Fi is mainly useful when it comes to gaming.

huh???

If you're going to go with creative, don't even consider buying anything BUT the X-Fi. The 580 still needs an amp to be driven correctly though.

May 30, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #5 of 35
I have the Xtreme Music and it does have 5.1 output, I don't know why the poster above thinks it doesn't. It's also heads and shoulders above the Live 24 bit, which is what I had previously. Great for gaming, movies, and good enough for music. Also has optical out if you ever get an external DAC. Good value for the money.

May 30, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #6 of 35
i replaced live 24bit with x-fi xtreme music. this is a much better card. and plan to do the x-fi mod soon just to crank everybit of detail out of this card.

May 31, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #8 of 35
Ooookay, it seems that while I was planning to get it, the Xtrememusic seems to have sold out EVERYWHERE (at least over where I live)
frown.gif

I think I can get a hold of an M-Audio Revolution, though, so is that an ok replacement for the X-Fi? I've read around here that's it's a really good card, but I'd like to get other opinions.

May 31, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #10 of 35
Ah, that sucks. I guess I'll just have to wait for the stores to restock their supplies. I guess it's fine if this means that I won't have to skimp and save in the the next few months for the other things in life, like maybe food.
wink.gif

May 31, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #11 of 35
Xtreme Music is an older version which I believe is being phased out. So they may never restock. As for the newer versions, don't get XtremeAudio (it's not actually an X-fi, it's an Audigy4 value or something). I'm not sure about the other models' price/performance.

If you don't play games, I think M-audio Revo 5.1 is a decent choice, but if you can find e.g. Sondigo Inferno (should be around the same price), I would go for that--it's a much newer card with good surround capabilities (Dolby Digital Live and DTS encoding, so you can output multichannel sound to your receiver via digital out).

May 31, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #13 of 35
Thanks for the tips, Ahriman. Exactly how good are the X-fis / M-Audio Rev compared to my current card? I'm asking because I might expect too much and that when I do buy a better card I'd be disappointed. So what exactly should I expect?

To Evisu, what exactly didn't you like about the M-Audio? Anything particular I should know?

May 31, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xhristmas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the tips, Ahriman. Exactly how good are the X-fis / M-Audio Rev compared to my current card? I'm asking because I might expect too much and that when I do buy a better card I'd be disappointed. So what exactly should I expect?

I never heard the Live!, so I honestly don't know. The perceived increase in quality really depends on your speakers/headphones. For what it's worth, I felt a significant improvement when I switched from onboard sound to Chaintech AV-710 a couple of years ago -- and that was on $20 no-name multimedia speakers. Switching to X-fi Fatality on my current system (see sig and profile) brought out a bit more detail and "colder" tonal balance (emphasized highs). From what I read, Live! is somewhat worse than AV-710 (again, I never heard it), so I guess you will notice improvement, especially with Shures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back