xDuoo XD05 Balanced
Jan 22, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #391 of 569
Ok, so my review of the Xduoo XD-05 Bal is out now. It's 20 mins long. There is a time index in the description and chapters on the video too. Happy now to answer any questions on this device here. On Saturday, the Xduoo XD-05 Bal vs iFi Gryphon will be up too.

Comparison between the Xduoo XD05 Bal and ifi xDSD gryphon :) Any questions ask away.

Jan 22, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #392 of 569
Hello everyone. Tell me, is it normal when the device is charged in mains power mode?
Hi LinstantX. Your question doesn't make sense.

If you want some help, please try to say it again in a different way.

What does "it" refer to in your question?

What do you mean by "charged in mains power mode"? Do you mean, "when the device is being operated on external power?"

Jan 24, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #394 of 569
I think you meant Q5s lacks power. Which is true but for portable use (IEM's) it's more than enough. If you plan to use Headphones on-the-go and are on a budget then XD-05 BAL or TRI TK2 (no bluetooth) might be better for you.
Oops yeah I meant the Fiio not the iFi. And I'm running DCA Aeon 2 Noire, they need the power. I'll check out the TRI TK2, but Bluetooth is really nice to have. XD-05 BAL trips into PROTECT mode when connected to a balanced cable. 1/4" works fine, just the 4.4mm pentaconn that has this issue. Two units have had this issue with multiple cables and headphones (and sources). Don't really want to try to stick with a unit with QC issues like this.

Jan 24, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #395 of 569
Oops yeah I meant the Fiio not the iFi. And I'm running DCA Aeon 2 Noire, they need the power. I'll check out the TRI TK2, but Bluetooth is really nice to have. XD-05 BAL trips into PROTECT mode when connected to a balanced cable. 1/4" works fine, just the 4.4mm pentaconn that has this issue. Two units have had this issue with multiple cables and headphones (and sources). Don't really want to try to stick with a unit with QC issues like this.
Are you shure that that balanced cable is not the problem? If the connector is soldered wrong this would happen.

Ok, you wrote you tried multiple cables... I would give the XD-05 a third chance.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #396 of 569
Which Opamp are you using? Back when I had the OG XD-05, it would go into protect mode when using Burson V5i and High Gain, something to do with not meeting voltage requirements I think. I don't think the BAL has the same issue but it might be worth a try to use Stock Opamps with yours and see if that works.

Jan 24, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #397 of 569
Are you shure that that balanced cable is not the problem? If the connector is soldered wrong this would happen.

Ok, you wrote you tried multiple cables... I would give the XD-05 a third chance.
I tried two headphones with two completely different cables. A third chance requires getting a replacement shipped from China again. Quite the pain

Jan 24, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #398 of 569
Which Opamp are you using? Back when I had the OG XD-05, it would go into protect mode when using Burson V5i and High Gain, something to do with not meeting voltage requirements I think. I don't think the BAL has the same issue but it might be worth a try to use Stock Opamps with yours and see if that works.
I am using the stock op amps.

Jan 24, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #400 of 569
Probably a defective unit. Best to go with a replacement if it's in warranty.
Two straight defective units. Replacement means shipping to China and waiting for a return. I'm really tired of re-explaining this bc people won't read.

Jan 25, 2022 at 3:18 AM Post #402 of 569
Has anyone compared the SE and BAL outs on the same headphone?

I've never heard my Sundara from the BAL out, so I'm a little curious as to whether there might be any benefit of going with a balanced cable.

Jan 25, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #403 of 569
Two straight defective units. Replacement means shipping to China and waiting for a return. I'm really tired of re-explaining this bc people won't read.
If the unit is defective, there's not much you can do but return. If you don't want to deal with it and are "Ok" with the loss of money, Get something else.

Portable devices with in-built bluetooth and that are powerful are rare. You may have to stack different devices and deal with a bulky setup if you want bluetooth funtionality on other DACs.

Using a small player like HiBy R2 connected to a portable DAC (XD-05 Plus, Mojo...) as a source or a portable Amp (xCAN, NX7...) using R2's internal DAC. You can wirelessly send audio to the R2 or control the music stored on the R2 for better quality.

Jan 26, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #404 of 569
Hey guys

For the last few weeks I've been thinking about buying a new dac/amp for my Aeon RT's. I bought the Hip Dac 2, but it has too little power. For this reason I kept looking and kept coming across the xduoo xd-05 bal. However, I kept reading negative reviews, mainly about the Bluetooth connectivity. However, Bluetooth is not one of the main criteria for me. Can anyone tell me whether it is worth investing the extra money and switching from the Hip Dac 2 to the xduoo xd-bal 05 (especially to drive my Rt's properly)?

Jan 26, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #405 of 569
Hey guys

For the last few weeks I've been thinking about buying a new dac/amp for my Aeon RT's. I bought the Hip Dac 2, but it has too little power. For this reason I kept looking and kept coming across the xduoo xd-05 bal. However, I kept reading negative reviews, mainly about the Bluetooth connectivity. However, Bluetooth is not one of the main criteria for me. Can anyone tell me whether it is worth investing the extra money and switching from the Hip Dac 2 to the xduoo xd-bal 05 (especially to drive my Rt's properly)?
If Bluetooth is not Important for you, why not get the XD-05 Plus instead? Apart from some usability issues, the BAL is a very good sounding unit, better than Plus and almost as good as Gryphon which is a more costly product. Lack of power won't be an issue with any of them.

If you already own a DAP that has Line-Out, you could get the Topping NX7 and save some money.

Attachments

• Most efficient headphone review.png
    Most efficient headphone review.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back