XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Jan 12, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #1,261 of 2,099
And... I've swapped out my first op amp, thanks to User00.

I was a bit nervous, but it's easier than expected. I had taken a punt on an LME49720 as recommended by imran27 and by taken a punt I mean bought from eBay, so who knows what I'm listening to.

I've listen to a couple of familiar tracks and was a bit confused at first. It didn't sound great - poss less favourable than the stock one. Definitely different - almost muddy. I was listening using my dt 770 pro 80ohms. I use bass on, and medium gain. Dropping the gain and I'm much happier. I wonder whether this is consistent with your experience of op amp rolling - having to change settings?

Either way, thanks for the info guys, this is proving fun and I'm happy with what I'm hearing. I liked the stock one mind, just wanted to explore!

Jan 19, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #1,262 of 2,099
Update: I switched back to the OPA1612 to do some trouble shooting. The Xd-05 works perfectly with the OPA 1612, so it seems as if the problem is with the V5i. I've contacted Burson detailing the issues I've been having and am waiting on their response.
Hey, me too I got problem using the Burson V5i-D....XD-05 would always be on PROTECT mode....so I get freaked out, I put back stock Opamp and now it work. Hum, I think this Burson amp should not be in there really....

Jan 19, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #1,263 of 2,099
And... I've swapped out my first op amp, thanks to User00.

I was a bit nervous, but it's easier than expected. I had taken a punt on an LME49720 as recommended by imran27 and by taken a punt I mean bought from eBay, so who knows what I'm listening to.

I've listen to a couple of familiar tracks and was a bit confused at first. It didn't sound great - poss less favourable than the stock one. Definitely different - almost muddy. I was listening using my dt 770 pro 80ohms. I use bass on, and medium gain. Dropping the gain and I'm much happier. I wonder whether this is consistent with your experience of op amp rolling - having to change settings?

Either way, thanks for the info guys, this is proving fun and I'm happy with what I'm hearing. I liked the stock one mind, just wanted to explore!
LME49720 is supposed to improve a lot over OPA1612. Try the opamp from a genuine source. Ebay is unreliable af

Jan 23, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #1,264 of 2,099
Hey, me too I got problem using the Burson V5i-D....XD-05 would always be on PROTECT mode....so I get freaked out, I put back stock Opamp and now it work. Hum, I think this Burson amp should not be in there really....

When you say always, do you mean even on low and medium gain? My unit shuts down when I'm using V5i-D on high gain, but no problem on low and medium.

Jan 23, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #1,265 of 2,099
When you say always, do you mean even on low and medium gain? My unit shuts down when I'm using V5i-D on high gain, but no problem on low and medium.
Hum.....sorry kinda too late for this question as I already change it, but perhaps it was only on high gain, can't confirm, I was testing all 3 gain everytime and it always make the protect mode happen, but after this everytime I turn it on it was opening in protect mode. Perhaps it was still on high gain, not sure...
But about this Protect mode, is there any risk it fock the whole thing up if we push the luck to far?

Now its in my Walnut V2S and I find it more usefull this way, as I can enjoy great amping on the go.

Jan 23, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #1,266 of 2,099
For all these problems people are having with V5i-D in XD-05, I never faced any problem. In fact I used it extensively only on high gain mode.

Could it be the female DIP socket?

Seeing so many people talk about it I think I will swap it out again and check V5i-D with high gain

Jan 24, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #1,267 of 2,099
Jan 24, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #1,268 of 2,099
imran, i am new in this field, hopefully u can help;
1) what is the difference between LME49720NA/NOPB and LME49720MAX/NOPBCT-ND?
2) i assume the socket is 8DIP?

Cheers
Chip packages are different. NA is DIP8 while MAX is SOIC8

For XD-05 you can use the NA DIP8 part, easier and doesn't need any adapters. Since your location is shown as Malaysia, you can order from element14 Malaysia, they ship pretty fast

Jan 24, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #1,269 of 2,099
I just swapped out the opamp with the burson v5i. Holy Cow! This sounds awesome. It went from a $175 dac to a $500 dac. The air and soundstage...phenomenal! I wasn't using my xd05, and was thinking of selling it because it wasn't keeping up with my Vorzuge Vorzamp Duo, RHA Dacamp l1, and iFi Black Label. With the Burson v5i, it's right there with them all. Power must have increased as well, because It powered my HD650 in low gain easily. If you have this amp, you must swap out to the Burson. Burson also has a v6 opamp. I may try that as well.

When I first put it in, it went into protect mode. I reversed it, even though it was the wrong way. It came on but the volume was really low and gain wouldn't work. I reversed it again and then it worked perfect. It needed to be played with a little I guess. It's very loud, even in lowest gain. When I put it in middle gain it was very loud, hi gain tripped the protect circuit. I figure it needs to burn in and get used to the opamp.

Update; hi gain is way too loud and trips the protect. It's not needed anyway.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #1,270 of 2,099
I just swapped out the opamp with the burson v5i. Holy Cow! This sounds awesome. It went from a $175 dac to a $700 dac. The air and soundstage...phenomenal! I wasn't using my xd05, and was thinking of selling it because it wasn't keeping up with my Vorzuge Vorzamp Duo, RHA Dacamp l1, and iFi Black Label. With the Burson v5i, it's right there with them all. Power must have increased as well, because It powered my HD650 in low gain easily. If you have this amp, you must swap out to the Burson. Burson also has a v6 opamp. I may try that as well.
When I first put it in, it went into protect mode. I reversed it, even though it was the wrong way. It came on but the volume was really low and gain wouldn't work. I reversed it again and then it worked perfect. It needed to be played with a little I guess. It's very loud, even in lowest gain. When I put it in middle gain it was loud, hi gain tripped the protect circuit. I figure it needs to burn in and get used to the opamp.

Update; hi gain is way too loud and trips the protect. It's not needed anyway.
Yeah, the V5i-D is a pretty amazing sounding opamp. Very low background noise and very lively presentation. It probably has the best dynamic recreation I've heard so far with OPA1612 a close second and OPA1652 being the next.

If you loved V5i-D I highly recommend the OPA1652.

Regarding High gain mode with V5i-D, this is what I observed:
Powering it on in high gain mode can be problematic as in no sound output and chip starts warming up quickly.
Workaround is to power up in low/med gain, wait for the relay to click (after which you hear a pop in your headphones because of the high output offset voltage of V5i-D).
Start playing, getting sound output? If yes then switch gain to high and you're good to go.

Sometimes it takes quite long like more than a minute for the relay to click. Be patient. If it doesn't, switch to low gain mode, power off, wait for a minute, power on and wait for the click and repeat former steps.

Jan 26, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #1,271 of 2,099
Yeah, the V5i-D is a pretty amazing sounding opamp. Very low background noise and very lively presentation. It probably has the best dynamic recreation I've heard so far with OPA1612 a close second and OPA1652 being the next.

If you loved V5i-D I highly recommend the OPA1652.

Regarding High gain mode with V5i-D, this is what I observed:
Powering it on in high gain mode can be problematic as in no sound output and chip starts warming up quickly.
Workaround is to power up in low/med gain, wait for the relay to click (after which you hear a pop in your headphones because of the high output offset voltage of V5i-D).
Start playing, getting sound output? If yes then switch gain to high and you're good to go.

Sometimes it takes quite long like more than a minute for the relay to click. Be patient. If it doesn't, switch to low gain mode, power off, wait for a minute, power on and wait for the click and repeat former steps.

What does the OPA1652 have over the Burson v5i? Is Extension or soundstage better? More details? I love the v5i. I wish there was a way to play/change the bass boost circuit. I would want something like Vorzuge does with the Vorzamp. They have a much higher increase but centered much lower at 18 hz, so you get much more subass and it’s separated from everything else.

Jan 27, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #1,272 of 2,099
What does the OPA1652 have over the Burson v5i? Is Extension or soundstage better? More details? I love the v5i. I wish there was a way to play/change the bass boost circuit. I would want something like Vorzuge does with the Vorzamp. They have a much higher increase but centered much lower at 18 hz, so you get much more subass and it’s separated from everything else.
If you want bass get the OPA2197. Warm bass signature. A little less warm more detailed and extended is OPA2192

Though right now my favorite is OPA2209. Superb details and extension, depth like never before and layering is fantastic. I like this better than Burson V5i-D. But V5i-D has better width, more musical and more full bodied mids. Mid bass is also better on V5i-D.

OPA1652 is a bit hazy, but wide forward soundstage. Very accurate and detailed. Quite smooth and good bass. But I suggest OPA2197 over OPA1652 for bass.

Feb 13, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #1,274 of 2,099
Feb 18, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #1,275 of 2,099
Got my V5 in there and love it and ordered the extenders from Burton then will drill a small hole in the case top and attach it outside the case. Makes it easier to op amp roll in the future too.
lead.jpg

JcSeAPg.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back