XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Mar 31, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #1,051 of 2,098
Just until today I had the issue with the V5i opamp cutting off. I had no problem using the XD-05 on high gain but I never move the bass switch from the left position.

So I noticed this:

Bass on left position with high gain - working fine
Bass on right position with medium gain - working fine

Bass on right position with high gain - cut off

I own XD-05 with v5i op-amp and I too am having a problem with cutting off at high gain setting.
But for me it just cuts off at high gain, no matter whether the bass is switched on or not.

Apr 2, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #1,054 of 2,098
Update: The opamp cutoff behavior changed again. Now it's cutting off at high gain setting with bass on, not with bass off.
Strange...

Did you check your battery charge? Like others said before, mine is now cutting off at high gain/bass off if battery is full or close to completely charged. Otherwise only cuts off when both gain and bass are on high.

Apr 6, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #1,057 of 2,098
Just to confirm​, it is a torx t6 screwdriver isn't it to remove the screws? I have a small torx set, but there's nothing in there that remotely matches the screws

Yes, its a T6 screw, however I had issues with it as well. Screw heads were damaged before and my screwdriver couldn't get a proper grip on them. 

Apr 6, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #1,059 of 2,098
I've been looking for a portable Amp/DAC (with optical input) and this one seems to fit the bill.
having read the thread there seems to have been some concern about the XD-05 with high sensitivity IEMs - I'm looking to use this primarily with a pair of 1964Adel U4 IEMs which are 25 Ohm impedance and a sensitivity of 118 db/mW, can anyone comment on whether I'll struggle with volume control with this setup? or on whether doing anything like swapping the op-amp would help with that?

Apr 6, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #1,060 of 2,098
  I've been looking for a portable Amp/DAC (with optical input) and this one seems to fit the bill.
having read the thread there seems to have been some concern about the XD-05 with high sensitivity IEMs - I'm looking to use this primarily with a pair of 1964Adel U4 IEMs which are 25 Ohm impedance and a sensitivity of 118 db/mW, can anyone comment on whether I'll struggle with volume control with this setup? or on whether doing anything like swapping the op-amp would help with that?

I don't have any IEMs quite as sensitive as the one you are using, but I will say this using my KZ ZST... I haven't had any problems with the ones I am using in terms of hiss, and I don't think switching out the OpAmp to the Burson will help as it seems to actually push through more power than the OPA1612 already installed.  The first tiny bit of travel on the volume pot won't give you anything (it clicks on just past 8 o'clock and sound comes in at around 10 o'clock).  The volume knob, however is very nice and very well damped, so between 10 and 2 o'clock I find it fairly easy to control from quiet to I might be damaging my ears if I keep it this loud.  

One thing you will hear though are relay clicks when going from no sound to just before sound comes through when starting it up or between periods of no sound.

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #1,061 of 2,098

I'm ussing the XD-05 with Alclair Reference CIEM, and I don't have any volume problem.

I mainly use the XD-05 on PC with the volume at 50% at windows audio control panel so It gives me some more room to fine tune the volume knob because the volume knob has some channel imbalance at the very lower starting position. Apart from that it sounds really good and with black noise floor.

BTW I have the stock opamp.

Apr 6, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #1,062 of 2,098
OK, that sounds promising then for being able to control the volume without blowing my ear drums.
I wonder if there is such a thing as a replacement op-amp that would reduce the overall gain.

I guess the final thing to check is any reliability issues but from what I've seen so far people are happy with the XD-05

Apr 8, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #1,063 of 2,098
Hi all I'm new to this forum and don't know much about audio so I apologize in advance for any silly questions.

I recently bought the XD-05 to drive my fostex t40rps. Although for most recordings medium gain is quite loud some recordings need high gain to get a good volume. I noticed distortion in the bass when on high gain with the volume control at 2 o'clock or further. With bass boost on this happens from the 1 o'clock position already. Is this a result of the amp clipping or is there some defect in my unit? I guess the fostexs are even harder to drive than I imagined. Thank you.

Apr 8, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #1,064 of 2,098
Can someone please confirm the orientation of the Burson chip in this unit. I've just fitted it, thought i had it correct, but there is no sound. I reversed the chip and , horror, still no sound. It starts okay with the chip in both positions but is dead both ways .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back