XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Mar 25, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #1,036 of 2,099

Hi there,

Can you share with me where did you get your X5 coaxial cable and Burson V5i opamp?

Thanks in advance.

A 3.5mm to rca coax adapter comes with the X5. 
For X5 to XD-05 I just used a short (10cm) 3.5mm to 3.5mm interconnect
tongue_smile.gif
. At this length, I didn't want to get too pedantic about the cable....

Mar 25, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #1,038 of 2,099

Thanks bro!

As for your X5 to XD-05 interconnect is connecting to Line Out, am I right?

(X5) coax out -> (XD-05) Digital In

The cable was made for analog line-out
tongue_smile.gif

Technically a 2-pole (mono) 3.5mm would be better, but I only have a 3-pole (stereo) at hand. 

Mar 27, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #1,039 of 2,099
Hi,
I have a Fiio Q1. It is doing a good job with my HD600 headphones.
Do you think I will get an improvement with the Xd05? I can still return the Q1 to Amazon.
Most of the time I even don't turn on high amplification but dm since can't try a better amp I don't know If I am loosing anything the Xd05 can improve.
Thanks.

Mar 27, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #1,040 of 2,099
Hi,
Do you think I will get an improvement with the Xd05? I can still return the Q1 to Amazon.
Most of the time I even don't turn on high amplification but dm since can't try a better amp I don't know If I am loosing anything the Xd05 can improve.
Thanks.

I don't have Q1 but I did compare xd05 with mojo. I find that mojo is slightly detail and warmer but looking at the price point of xd05, I would just say that it's awesome. I also tried the xd05 with hd6xx and it pairs surprisingly nice especially with the bass gain. 

Mar 27, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #1,041 of 2,099
Hi,
Thanks.

I own both and use them with the HD650's. I'm not expert to define the sound signature and characteristics, I think both do a good job but XD-05 is better and with the V5i upgrade goes to a different level than Q1, it has a lot of options and more power. Nothing beats the Q1 for portability and battery life though.

Having said that, I'm selling both devices and getting a dedicated amp for home use. I think that in reality you don't own a pair of HD6xx for portable use and you can find better desktop options for them in the 250-300 dollars range. That is what I've concluded anyway.

For portability I use an xduoo X3 and I´m more than happy with it.

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #1,044 of 2,099
Hi I have the FiiO X5ii to go with my Xduoo XD-05 and I brought a 4-pole to 3-pole Cable to connect them digitally but I do not know the setup can anyone with the same setup help me to set these 2 up so I can listen to my Flac files

Mar 29, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #1,045 of 2,099
  Hi I have the FiiO X5ii to go with my Xduoo XD-05 and I brought a 4-pole to 3-pole Cable to connect them digitally but I do not know the setup can anyone with the same setup help me to set these 2 up so I can listen to my Flac files

Not much setup is required actually, the 4 pole cable goes into the Coax Out of the X5ii and the 3 pole one goes into the Digital in of the XD05. To get music, flick the input selector switch to the left, the LCD should read Optical In.

On the X5ii, go to System Settings, scroll to Multifunctional Outputs and set it from Line Out to Coax Out.

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #1,047 of 2,099
Just until today I had the issue with the V5i opamp cutting off. I had no problem using the XD-05 on high gain but I never move the bass switch from the left position.

So I noticed this:

Bass on left position with high gain - working fine
Bass on right position with medium gain - working fine

Bass on right position with high gain - cut off

Mar 30, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #1,049 of 2,099
  Just until today I had the issue with the V5i opamp cutting off. I had no problem using the XD-05 on high gain but I never move the bass switch from the left position.

So I noticed this:

Bass on left position with high gain - working fine
Bass on right position with medium gain - working fine

Bass on right position with high gain - cut off

There have been a couple of us that have had some issues with the V5i cutting off, either with using high gain, or combination of bass boost plus high gain.  I sent my V5i back and got a replacement that had the same issue.  In talking with the people at Burson, they identified that the issue might be with the capacitors inside the Xd-05 and the solution might be to change them to better caps as the problem is most likely irregular voltage.  I might do that at some point in the future with the 4 10uF 50V caps that surround the opamp, and maybe the 2 22uF 16v caps that are by the battery.

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #1,050 of 2,099

There have been a couple of us that have had some issues with the V5i cutting off, either with using high gain, or combination of bass boost plus high gain.  I sent my V5i back and got a replacement that had the same issue.  In talking with the people at Burson, they identified that the issue might be with the capacitors inside the Xd-05 and the solution might be to change them to better caps as the problem is most likely irregular voltage.  I might do that at some point in the future with the 4 10uF 50V caps that surround the opamp, and maybe the 2 22uF 16v caps that are by the battery.

Yeah I think I first read about the problem from one of your posts. If/when you change the capacitors please post some pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back