XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Aug 15, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #361 of 2,099
  Something like this would work. You will need USB type A female to micro USB male.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/4-10cm-Short-Micro-USB-Host-OTG-Adapter-cable-for-LG-Google-Nexus-5-D821-D820-/291014385512?hash=item43c1cf1f68:g:Gm4AAOSwgQ9VmRxA&rmvSB=true

If you want to stack them together, don't get a cable with angled connector - it won't work well. You can try to find the shortest possible cable, but 4" should work comfortably for most phones.

thank you. after this cable i need a male to male usb A adapter or i´m wrong?

Aug 16, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #363 of 2,099
No. That's all you need to connect an android phone.

ok, thanks again
beerchug.gif

Aug 16, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #365 of 2,099
  Hey there, look here what I did with my XD-05.... an amazing op-amp upgrade-mod!!!

nice. i found this op amp that is compact like your burson. you know this? http://sparkoslabs.com/discrete-op-amps/
Edit. bought one from china for 150€. 
given the same converter, i´m really curious to make a compairison with the centrance dacport slim

Aug 18, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #367 of 2,099
Hi I saw in your Viet review how iphone was connected to Xd-05 and i was wondering what cable it was. Because apple has one cable that is lightning to camera usb female, your cable looks like straight up male. can you please explain? i have iphone 6s and a minidisc mz-n1 with optical spdi/f output so very excited about trying this little wonder. I have beyerdynamic dt-250 headphones as well. and i have never used external portable dac/amp before. please advise.

Aug 18, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #368 of 2,099
  No you can't use it once the battery dies out. But replacing the battery SHOULD be easy (I'm not sure how it actually is). 

Even at $100 it's impossible to get a decent DAC/amp that's worth the money. (Sorry, Dragonfly and Dacport lovers. Also all apologies to Fiio and iBasso lovers. It's just that obvious to me.) 
I once did a full comparison between the JDS C5D, the Oppo HA2 and the XD05 but it's in another language. In this review I found that it's really rare to find such a full featured product like the XD05 in the <$300 price range, while the C5D wins in term of sound and the HA2 wins in terms of design and portability. That said, I don't like the HA2 sound at all. Its treble is too un-refined for me.
So in short the reason I've been endorsing the XD05 is because it's really like a Swiss army knife. While it's not on the same level as Mojo or m9xx, it's really hard to find a cheap amp/DAC that sounds clean, has SPDIF input and LED screen. The XD05 sounds less revolving than the C5D, though.
So here's the comparison, but it's in Vietnamese.
http://vnreview.vn/danh-gia-top-10/-/view_content/content/1844519/do-suc-3-chiec-amp-dac-di-dong-hap-dan-jds-c5d-oppo-ha-2-va-xduoo-xd-05

For your second question, join the drop on Massdrop.

Hi I saw in your Viet review how iphone was connected to Xd-05 and i was wondering what cable it was. Because apple has one cable that is lightning to camera usb female, your cable looks like straight up male. can you please explain? i have iphone 6s and a minidisc mz-n1 with optical spdi/f output so very excited about trying this little wonder. I have beyerdynamic dt-250 headphones as well. and i have never used external portable dac/amp before. please advise.

Aug 19, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #369 of 2,099

This kind of cable:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/TG-Adapter-Cable-for-Camera-Connection-Kit-Dock-Connector-to-USB-8pin-OTG-Cable-for-iPad/32704088552.html

Aug 21, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #370 of 2,099

A couple of size comparing shots of ha-2 and xd-05, for anyone who's interested.
I'd like to also add a word of my impressions, after owning ha-2 for half a year, and xd-05 for just over a month. Ha-2 is easily 2x bigger than xd-05 and noticeably heavier, so, if portability is among your top priorities, ha-2 might be your best bet. SQ wise, I feel xd-05 has edge in two ways. Ha-2 sounds slightly on the bright side for my ears, while xd-05 is relatively neutral and balanced. However, if you are into young female vocals, ha-2 may sound more appealing, because it has an emphasis in the up-mid area - to my ears anyways. Despite of the slight difference in sound signature, I am very happy with both driving my UM PRO 20. However, for full size headphones, in my case AKG K7xx and Hifiman HE400i, it is more obvious that xd-05 does a better job than ha-2. Full size phones just sound a little dull when pairing with ha-2. Well, both make full sizes sound less exciting comparing to a decent desktop DAC/AMP combo - mine are Teac UD-301 and Schiit Valhalla-2. But xd-05 does have more energy than ha-2. Connectivity wise, I will definitely give my vote to ha-2. It literally connects to any player with a USB port and just works. All cables you ever need are included too. On the other hand, xd-05 only works with computer out of box. You do need to pay a little extra for a OTG cable, in order to connect to Android devices, and pay quite a bit extra (~$40) for the camera kit, in order to connect to iDevices, which does increase xd-05's owning cost. I'm an Android guy, with a cable inventory, so it's not too bad.
I bought my refurbished ha-2 from Oppo Digital directly for $240, which I consider a great deal for its SQ and features. But if I had known xd-05 existed at the time, I would buy xd-05 instead, I think. My xd-05 was bought from Gearbest, brand new. They have it on sale for just over $150 shipping included - a unbeatable deal if you ask me. I think the sale is still on. For $150, you simply won't go wrong. 

Hey x_lk, 

This post was MOST helpful!!

I own the AKG K550 MK II and the Oppo HA-2. I absolutely LOVE both, but this XD-05 does sound interesting, esp considering the price. 

I prefer "neutral and balanced" sound too, so I wonder if I also might like the XD-05 more? But I don't like bulky amp/DACs either like the CO I used to have b/c I feel they're more easy to drop than something sleeker like the HA-2. 

So how EXACTLY do you connect this to an Android phone? I have an OTG MicroUSB to MicroUSB cable, but unlike the HA-2, it seems like for this one I'd need an OTG MicroUSB to USB cable, right? Please elaborate. 

Aug 21, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #371 of 2,099
Hey x_lk, 

This post was MOST helpful!!

I own the AKG K550 MK II and the Oppo HA-2. I absolutely LOVE both, but this XD-05 does sound interesting, esp considering the price. 

I prefer "neutral and balanced" sound too, so I wonder if I also might like the XD-05 more? But I don't like bulky amp/DACs either like the CO I used to have b/c I feel they're more easy to drop than something sleeker like the HA-2. 

So how EXACTLY do you connect this to an Android phone? I have an OTG MicroUSB to MicroUSB cable, but unlike the HA-2, it seems like for this one I'd need an OTG MicroUSB to USB cable, right? Please elaborate. 

Seems like you gotta connect the fat end of an OTG USB/microusb cable to that USB-A (full size) port-dongle thing and then the microusb end to your phone.

Welp just pulled the trigger on one so will be able to confirm that if it arrives tomorrow. Supposedly it's already in the country awaiting delivery. DHL FTW

Aug 21, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #372 of 2,099
Seems like you gotta connect the fat end of an OTG USB/microusb cable to that USB-A (full size) port-dongle thing and then the microusb end to your phone.

Welp just pulled the trigger on one so will be able to confirm that if it arrives tomorrow. Supposedly it's already in the country awaiting delivery. DHL FTW

Ok I just saw his other post answering this.

Thanks!

Aug 21, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #373 of 2,099
No. That's all you need to connect an android phone.

Wait........you said no, but the female USB end of the cable needs to be MALE to fit into the XD-05. So maybe you mean use the SUPPLIED USB to Micro USB cable WITH the OTG cable you linked, and you tested this already and know 100% it will work? 

Please also answer my other post too. 

Thanks x_lk!

Aug 21, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #374 of 2,099
Wait........you said no, but the female USB end of the cable needs to be MALE to fit into the XD-05. So maybe you mean use the SUPPLIED USB to Micro USB cable WITH the OTG cable you linked, and you tested this already and know 100% it will work? 

Please also answer my other post too. 

Thanks x_lk!

I had the same doubt. From the.pictures of the amplifier seems that the usb is female but it is male. So you need an adapter male micro usb to female a usb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back