XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Aug 3, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #346 of 2,099
If you look at the back of the HA2 and read its manual which can be found online, you'd know the answer. The HA2 has a special port that's marked "A" and it's used for just the iPhone. Oppo also includes a Lightning cable which, in combination with the "A" port I mentioned, function quite similarly to what you'd get if you use the Camera connection Kit with a normal USB OTG cable.
In fact the xduoo is more convenient than other dac/amp in the sense that it only requires a CCK. My c5d requires a CCK and a OTG cable. Oppo just creates a shortcut by introducing a special port for Lightning.
But in term of sound, I think Oppo is much worse than xDuoo. The more I listen to the HA2, the more I hate its broken trebles, which I didn't notice at first. The HA2 sounds very artificial as a whole IME
Can someone explain how/why the Oppo HA-2 can connect to my ipod classic 160GB (30 pin cable) and ipod nano 7th gen (lightning cable) via USB, but the Xduoo XD-05 can only connect to certain apple devices and needs a special Apple lightning to USB camera cable? :confused_face_2:  

Aug 4, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #347 of 2,099
If you look at the back of the HA2 and read its manual which can be found online, you'd know the answer. The HA2 has a special port that's marked "A" and it's used for just the iPhone. Oppo also includes a Lightning cable which, in combination with the "A" port I mentioned, function quite similarly to what you'd get if you use the Camera connection Kit with a normal USB OTG cable.
In fact the xduoo is more convenient than other dac/amp in the sense that it only requires a CCK. My c5d requires a CCK and a OTG cable. Oppo just creates a shortcut by introducing a special port for Lightning.
But in term of sound, I think Oppo is much worse than xDuoo. The more I listen to the HA2, the more I hate its broken trebles, which I didn't notice at first. The HA2 sounds very artificial as a whole IME

I own both the Oppo HA-2 and Xduoo XD-05.

The Oppo is MFi compatible and can use the normal USB cables (lightning or 30 pin) that come bundled with the ipod classic 160gb and ipod nano 7th generation to transmit audio.

The HA-2 does not require a special OTG cable for these apple devices. I've already tested USB audio with the ipod classic and ipod nano 7th generation and they both work with the Oppo HA-2 USB port (A) and their normal usb cables.

A USB OTG cable on Oppo HA-2 port (A) is only required for Android devices.

My question was more about getting the ipod classic to connect to the Xduoo XD-05 via USB and a 30 pin to USB cable.

The theory is if the ipod classic audio works via USB on the Oppo, then it should be capable to work via USB on the Xduoo using a CCK?  The Xduoo XD-05 (just like the Oppo) also requires a USB OTG cable for Android devices.

Edit: I got the Apple Lightning to USB camera adapter cable and it rejects the nano 7th gen with a "accessory not supported message".
mad.gif

The ipod classic and HA-2 connected using the regular 30 pin USB cable.

Aug 13, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #350 of 2,099
The xd05 look really big I had the same assumption when looking at Chord Mojo pictures but in reality they are literally just the same height as the Nano 7. Can you post size comparison pictures of the xd05?

And btw the Mojo didn't work with my Nano 7 as well, there might be some issue with the software side as the OS on Nano 7 is just a proprietary made to look like an iOS or the Nano 7 isn't powerful enough for CCK/otg connection.

Aug 13, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #351 of 2,099
the otg cable is male A- male micro B?
where can i meet?
thank you

Aug 13, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #352 of 2,099

A couple of size comparing shots of ha-2 and xd-05, for anyone who's interested.
I'd like to also add a word of my impressions, after owning ha-2 for half a year, and xd-05 for just over a month. Ha-2 is easily 2x bigger than xd-05 and noticeably heavier, so, if portability is among your top priorities, ha-2 might be your best bet. SQ wise, I feel xd-05 has edge in two ways. Ha-2 sounds slightly on the bright side for my ears, while xd-05 is relatively neutral and balanced. However, if you are into young female vocals, ha-2 may sound more appealing, because it has an emphasis in the up-mid area - to my ears anyways. Despite of the slight difference in sound signature, I am very happy with both driving my UM PRO 20. However, for full size headphones, in my case AKG K7xx and Hifiman HE400i, it is more obvious that xd-05 does a better job than ha-2. Full size phones just sound a little dull when pairing with ha-2. Well, both make full sizes sound less exciting comparing to a decent desktop DAC/AMP combo - mine are Teac UD-301 and Schiit Valhalla-2. But xd-05 does have more energy than ha-2. Connectivity wise, I will definitely give my vote to ha-2. It literally connects to any player with a USB port and just works. All cables you ever need are included too. On the other hand, xd-05 only works with computer out of box. You do need to pay a little extra for a OTG cable, in order to connect to Android devices, and pay quite a bit extra (~$40) for the camera kit, in order to connect to iDevices, which does increase xd-05's owning cost. I'm an Android guy, with a cable inventory, so it's not too bad.
I bought my refurbished ha-2 from Oppo Digital directly for $240, which I consider a great deal for its SQ and features. But if I had known xd-05 existed at the time, I would buy xd-05 instead, I think. My xd-05 was bought from Gearbest, brand new. They have it on sale for just over $150 shipping included - a unbeatable deal if you ask me. I think the sale is still on. For $150, you simply won't go wrong. 

Aug 13, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #353 of 2,099

A couple of size comparing shots of ha-2 and xd-05, for anyone who's interested.
I'd like to also add a word of my impressions, after owning ha-2 for half a year, and xd-05 for just over a month. Ha-2 is easily 2x bigger than xd-05 and noticeably heavier, so, if portability is among your top priorities, ha-2 might be your best bet. SQ wise, I feel xd-05 has edge in two ways. Ha-2 sounds slightly on the bright side for my ears, while xd-05 is relatively neutral and balanced. However, if you are into young female vocals, ha-2 may sound more appealing, because it has an emphasis in the up-mid area - to my ears anyways. Despite of the slight difference in sound signature, I am very happy with both driving my UM PRO 20. However, for full size headphones, in my case AKG K7xx and Hifiman HE400i, it is more obvious that xd-05 does a better job than ha-2. Full size phones just sound a little dull when pairing with ha-2. Well, both make full sizes sound less exciting comparing to a decent desktop DAC/AMP combo - mine are Teac UD-301 and Schiit Valhalla-2. But xd-05 does have more energy than ha-2. Connectivity wise, I will definitely give my vote to ha-2. It literally connects to any player with a USB port and just works. All cables you ever need are included too. On the other hand, xd-05 only works with computer out of box. You do need to pay a little extra for a OTG cable, in order to connect to Android devices, and pay quite a bit extra (~$40) for the camera kit, in order to connect to iDevices, which does increase xd-05's owning cost. I'm an Android guy, with a cable inventory, so it's not too bad.
I bought my refurbished ha-2 from Oppo Digital directly for $240, which I consider a great deal for its SQ and features. But if I had known xd-05 existed at the time, I would buy xd-05 instead, I think. My xd-05 was bought from Gearbest, brand new. They have it on sale for just over $150 shipping included - a unbeatable deal if you ask me. I think the sale is still on. For $150, you simply won't go wrong. 

Typo: xd-05 is easily 2x bigger than ha-2 and noticeably heavier...

Aug 14, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #355 of 2,099
Got PM asking about ha-2's digital inputs. When I said ha-2 wins in the connectivity department, I didn't mean xd-05 doesn't have its advantage. Yes, ha-2 wins hands down when pairing with cellphones and tablets, but xd-05 does support the traditional SPDIF connections, in the form of both optical and coax. Ha-2 uses a specific design that has phones and tablets in mind. For DMP providing SPDIF output only, xd-05 is the way to go - I assume you don't want to use only the AMP section of either. One feature wasn't clear to me was the SRC function of xd-05. I didn't know SRC is only applicable to optical or coax signals until I received the unit. Not sure what's preventing Xduoo from implementing this feature to all digital inputs - it seems odd to me. My recommendation between the two: pickup xd-05 for your Android phone - a short OTG cable is all you need. If you are a iphone owner, you won't be disappointed by ha-2. Not only ha-2 supports iphone without the camera kit, it visually matches iphone much better than xd-05, IMO.

Aug 14, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #356 of 2,099
  Got PM asking about ha-2's digital inputs. When I said ha-2 wins in the connectivity department, I didn't mean xd-05 doesn't have its advantage. Yes, ha-2 wins hands down when pairing with cellphones and tablets, but xd-05 does support the traditional SPDIF connections, in the form of both optical and coax. Ha-2 uses a specific design that has phones and tablets in mind. For DMP providing SPDIF output only, xd-05 is the way to go - I assume you don't want to use only the AMP section of either. One feature wasn't clear to me was the SRC function of xd-05. I didn't know SRC is only applicable to optical or coax signals until I received the unit. Not sure what's preventing Xduoo from implementing this feature to all digital inputs - it seems odd to me. My recommendation between the two: pickup xd-05 for your Android phone - a short OTG cable is all you need. If you are a iphone owner, you won't be disappointed by ha-2. Not only ha-2 supports iphone without the camera kit, it visually matches iphone much better than xd-05, IMO.

Thank you. about otg cable, please explain me which cable. honestly i don´t understand nothing about otg

Aug 14, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #357 of 2,099
  Thank you. about otg cable, please explain me which cable. honestly i don´t understand nothing about otg

Something like this would work. You will need USB type A female to micro USB male.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/4-10cm-Short-Micro-USB-Host-OTG-Adapter-cable-for-LG-Google-Nexus-5-D821-D820-/291014385512?hash=item43c1cf1f68:g:Gm4AAOSwgQ9VmRxA&rmvSB=true

If you want to stack them together, don't get a cable with angled connector - it won't work well. You can try to find the shortest possible cable, but 4" should work comfortably for most phones.

Aug 14, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #358 of 2,099
I'm really itching to pull the trigger on the XD-05, but I have a few concerns and would be very thankful if anyone could help answer my questions.

1.  I worry about the battery issue.  If for instance the battery does one day die out, would it be possible to just keep it plugged in through a micro usb wall unit and still use it, like say a laptop with a battery that won't hold charge?  Or is it the case that once the battery is done, it just becomes an expensive paperweight?  Also, would you have any recommendations of a desktop solution instead without a battery that is as full featured and capable within $50-$100 (closer to 50 if possible)?

2.  Maybe more importantly, seeing as most sellers are from China and any kind of issue would be a hassle to deal with in terms of returns or refunds, which seller(s) do you find to be the most reliable and dependable, especially in terms of pricing, shipping, customer service and selling genuine products.

Many, many thanks in advance!

Aug 14, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #359 of 2,099

1.  I worry about the battery issue.  If for instance the battery does one day die out, would it be possible to just keep it plugged in through a micro usb wall unit and still use it, like say a laptop with a battery that won't hold charge?  Or is it the case that once the battery is done, it just becomes an expensive paperweight?  Also, would you have any recommendations of a desktop solution instead without a battery that is as full featured and capable within $50-$100 (closer to 50 if possible)?

No you can't use it once the battery dies out. But replacing the battery SHOULD be easy (I'm not sure how it actually is). 

Even at $100 it's impossible to get a decent DAC/amp that's worth the money. (Sorry, Dragonfly and Dacport lovers. Also all apologies to Fiio and iBasso lovers. It's just that obvious to me.) 
I once did a full comparison between the JDS C5D, the Oppo HA2 and the XD05 but it's in another language. In this review I found that it's really rare to find such a full featured product like the XD05 in the <$300 price range, while the C5D wins in term of sound and the HA2 wins in terms of design and portability. That said, I don't like the HA2 sound at all. Its treble is too un-refined for me.
So in short the reason I've been endorsing the XD05 is because it's really like a Swiss army knife. While it's not on the same level as Mojo or m9xx, it's really hard to find a cheap amp/DAC that sounds clean, has SPDIF input and LED screen. The XD05 sounds less revolving than the C5D, though.
So here's the comparison, but it's in Vietnamese.
http://vnreview.vn/danh-gia-top-10/-/view_content/content/1844519/do-suc-3-chiec-amp-dac-di-dong-hap-dan-jds-c5d-oppo-ha-2-va-xduoo-xd-05

For your second question, join the drop on Massdrop.

Aug 15, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #360 of 2,099
  No you can't use it once the battery dies out. But replacing the battery SHOULD be easy (I'm not sure how it actually is). 

Even at $100 it's impossible to get a decent DAC/amp that's worth the money. (Sorry, Dragonfly and Dacport lovers. Also all apologies to Fiio and iBasso lovers. It's just that obvious to me.) 
I once did a full comparison between the JDS C5D, the Oppo HA2 and the XD05 but it's in another language. In this review I found that it's really rare to find such a full featured product like the XD05 in the <$300 price range, while the C5D wins in term of sound and the HA2 wins in terms of design and portability. That said, I don't like the HA2 sound at all. Its treble is too un-refined for me.
So in short the reason I've been endorsing the XD05 is because it's really like a Swiss army knife. While it's not on the same level as Mojo or m9xx, it's really hard to find a cheap amp/DAC that sounds clean, has SPDIF input and LED screen. The XD05 sounds less revolving than the C5D, though.
So here's the comparison, but it's in Vietnamese.
http://vnreview.vn/danh-gia-top-10/-/view_content/content/1844519/do-suc-3-chiec-amp-dac-di-dong-hap-dan-jds-c5d-oppo-ha-2-va-xduoo-xd-05

For your second question, join the drop on Massdrop.

Thank you for your detailed reply!  I very much appreciate it.  I will keep an eye on Massdrop to see if it comes back.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back