XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Jun 18, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #286 of 2,099
Is there any way to power the XD-05 from the PC without charging the battery?

I haven't gotten it yet but I believe the signal and power inputs are separate

Jun 18, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #289 of 2,099
Quote:

Yes, there are two different connectors on XDuoo: a full USB connector to connect it to pc and a microusb connector to charge it.

Haha sorry I meant connect it to the pc and plug in the micro usb cable, but instead of charging the battery, the amp pulls power from the computer to work(i.e. being powered by the computer rather than the battery).

Jun 18, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #290 of 2,099
Haha sorry I meant connect it to the pc and plug in the micro usb cable, but instead of charging the battery, the amp pulls power from the computer to work(i.e. being powered by the computer rather than the battery).

Sorry, my mistake!

I never tried it, but according to the manual, if you connect the charge microusb connector to a pc usb port the ampli will be charged...

Jun 18, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #292 of 2,099
The DT770s (250 Ohms) really sing on the end of a Cayin C5...

Jun 18, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #293 of 2,099
What makes you say it isn't good? for a portable amp/dac combo, it's one of the strongest I've seen (500mw at 32 ohm) compared to more expensive ones that don't get to 500mw.

Also, it will be enough for the 250 ohm version, it will power the 600 ohm version just fine, but it's not ideal. for 600 ohm headphones I personally would get a stronger amp.

damex said:
  so xduoo xd-05 amp is not so good?
will it be efficient enough (or have enough power) to drive dt770 600ohm? maybe 250ohm?

i want to stack it to sony nw-zx2.

Jun 19, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #294 of 2,099

Sorry, my mistake!

I never tried it, but according to the manual, if you connect the charge microusb connector to a pc usb port the ampli will be charged...
During my 2 weeks with it there's no way to do so. To be specific, whenever you turns it on it'll drain the battery regardless of whether you're charging or not. This is one of the biggest caveats of the xd05, as I wanted it to work as a desktop dac without using the battery and there seemed to be no way to do that

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #295 of 2,099
During my 2 weeks with it there's no way to do so. To be specific, whenever you turns it on it'll drain the battery regardless of whether you're charging or not. This is one of the biggest caveats of the xd05, as I wanted it to work as a desktop dac without using the battery and there seemed to be no way to do that

Damn, I just ordered it on Massdrop recently and wanted to use it as a desktop dac/amp.. 

Jun 19, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #297 of 2,099
  Damn, I just ordered it on Massdrop recently and wanted to use it as a desktop dac/amp.. 

Actually drawing power from the battery will result in a cleaner sound than from usb, and IME the xduoo was surprisingly clean for a mobile unit.

When I used it as a DAC (AUX out) the battery lasted for days. However my main concern is that one day the battery will die (which is inevitable) and there would seem to be no way for the xd05 to boost. Of course you can change the battery inside, but that's a hassle.

Jun 19, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #299 of 2,099
Actually drawing power from the battery will result in a cleaner sound than from usb, and IME the xduoo was surprisingly clean for a mobile unit.

When I used it as a DAC (AUX out) the battery lasted for days. However my main concern is that one day the battery will die (which is inevitable) and there would seem to be no way for the xd05 to boost. Of course you can change the battery inside, but that's a hassle.

My biggest concern is if it's even possible to get a spare battery of sorts. It seems quite illogical for the xd-05 to not be able to just be powered by the micro usb cable though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back