XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Apr 15, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #1,366 of 2,099
This is the main largest aspect that I guage most solid state gear on, whether to other gear or tube gear.
I find this distinction (of sonic holography) is most difficult to do.

I am guessing that the op-amps are so tiny that they're difference in performance vary person to person ,
Because they are reacting to the different headphone load.

I had O2 and rolled op-amps into it to increase its sound quality even though those choices reduced power.
In the end I retired it in a drawer and later sold it.

From my experience,
I would not place the O2 unit above the Xduoo in terms of musicality.

This may definitely be a big reason why youryo experiencing better performance with same opamps ..
One of my friends bought another XD-05 from Jaben SG

When he tried OPA1692 it was horrible. It was noisy and dry recessed mid range. Totally opposite to my experience.

I guess there are component variations.

Btw, my next steps with XD-05 would be to extend the bypass using Silver plated OCC Cu wire and try various capacitors much more easily. The difference with Nichicon PW and VZ were really stark

Apr 16, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #1,367 of 2,099
Unfortunately if using electrolytics as output caps it will affect sound.

I would try Audio Note Kaisie caps.

Apr 16, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #1,369 of 2,099
Not as output caps. XD-05 I don't think is capacitor coupled. It is DC coupled.

So the bypass caps are actually just supply bypassing of BUF634
Oh thats excellent then.
I have not looked into this unit to know what is going on inside yet.

I had quite a few neat small portable amps but I really like this one as it definitely seems like an underrated unit,
As the sound is really dam good with replacement opamp.

I had the mojo and the ifi micro BL and small tube amps,
And while I would not say the Xduoo beat them,
I would say it can hold its own with them.
Definitely a quality musical sound here.

I am currently using is a a desktop dac unit as well,
because it has line out.
I using Spdif digital in, not usb.

I getting a great delicate sound out of the AKM chip.
Better than the Jotenhiem implementation.
:)

Apr 18, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #1,370 of 2,099

Have both and can confirm this.

The USB DAC on the XDuoo is one thing holding it back, and it's worth listening to from a dedicated desktop DAC if you're using it as a desktop amp. I noticed popping in a few instances with the onboard. It also enjoys shutting off and on constantly with loud transistor clicks each time, and it's quite annoying. For a portable DAC I can't complain though. I don't know about the optical DAC--which might be better. With an external DAC though, I found the amp section capable of higher resolution than before, and while it is a little bit on the bright side for my taste, it is close enough to the line run my Edition X (warm headphones seem to pair well). I'm actually curious about further DAC scaling at this point.

There is a quality to the presentation that I'm not sure how to describe. Holographic might be the word. I was listening to Beck's "Midnite Vultures" the other day and just got lost in it. It's not perfect. There are albums here and there that are inexplicably harsh or hazy. For the price, I can't knock it though.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #1,371 of 2,099
I had O2 and rolled op-amps into it to increase its sound quality even though those choices reduced power.
In the end I retired it in a drawer and later sold it.

From my experience,

Well the O2's design doesn't really support op-amp rolling actually, it was nWavguy's intention to reduce the impact of op-amp rolling. What I liked about the O2 was that it really keeps the same sound sig from the DAC and the headphones, not adding any colors - which I feel is not possible on cheap amps and also aligns with your opinion that the O2 isn't quite "musical". Which brings us back to the Xduoo, I really like its DAC (and the AKM chip), so the O2 was just what I need for a perfect cheap combo.

Have both and can confirm this.

The USB DAC on the XDuoo is one thing holding it back, and it's worth listening to from a dedicated desktop DAC if you're using it as a desktop amp. I noticed popping in a few instances with the onboard. It also enjoys shutting off and on constantly with loud transistor clicks each time, and it's quite annoying. For a portable DAC I can't complain though. I don't know about the optical DAC--which might be better. With an external DAC though, I found the amp section capable of higher resolution than before, and while it is a little bit on the bright side for my taste, it is close enough to the line run my Edition X (warm headphones seem to pair well). I'm actually curious about further DAC scaling at this point.

There is a quality to the presentation that I'm not sure how to describe. Holographic might be the word. I was listening to Beck's "Midnite Vultures" the other day and just got lost in it. It's not perfect. There are albums here and there that are inexplicably harsh or hazy. For the price, I can't knock it though.
Funny you have a totally contrary position to mine, but yes I do remember popping on the xDuoo. However, I got poppings on practically all the "cheap" DACs that I've owned, including the ODAC and the Modi2.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #1,372 of 2,099
Funny you have a totally contrary position to mine, but yes I do remember popping on the xDuoo. However, I got poppings on practically all the "cheap" DACs that I've owned, including the ODAC and the Modi2
I agree.
Poping I have heard on my mojo and ifi Micro BL..
They are not the issue.
It is a USB issue on the source side,
Not the dac side.
Especially with low memory or slow computers.

I use a usb to spdif converter, which has built in memory in its Xmos chip,
and believe thats why I never get that issue with spdiff.

This xDuoo is using latest AKM chip which I actually prefer over the chips in the mojo(holographic but dull & narrow) ,
Or the ifi Micro BL(dynamic but dark and hard)
The AKM sounds more delicate and just as resolving but at a more distant layering than my LG30 Quad dac which is a bit brighter and has euphoric brighter trebles.
Its sabre dac is no longer like the older type that are a bit harsh.

I was not a fan of the AKM , thinking it sounded a bit lifeless out of the implementation in the Jotenheim, which is a very lively dynamic amp, but a fairly shalllow in depth..

Anyways the point is that interaction and system synergy matters to get the most out of your system.

And there is a double--dge sword in this as well:
The better your headphones are,
The more faults you will find in your system,
Causing a condition called "upgrade-itis".

So enjoy every level of musicality when it appears, as it is fleeting lol.

Apr 19, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #1,373 of 2,099
Funny you have a totally contrary position to mine, but yes I do remember popping on the xDuoo. However, I got poppings on practically all the "cheap" DACs that I've owned, including the ODAC and the Modi2.

Not "cheap" necessarily, but I haven't had that issue with the Bifrost. It's not the best measuring DAC in the world, but it sounds well-behaved.

The O2 is like the exact opposite. It has some good measurements in some categories, but I am not a huge fan of the sound. After trying to like it for a couple weeks, trying it on different DACs and headphones, I put it back in the box and gave up.

Apr 19, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #1,374 of 2,099
A lot of my favorite DACs use AKM chip, from the xDuoo to the Aune S16 and the m9xx... But some I don't really like, including the Modi 2, the Audioengine D1 and the Jotunheim. The Jotunheim is actually a very good amp, but the original DAC chip was surely disappointing. That said I strongly recommend you trying out the MB version, or at least get a Modi MB to go with it.

Apr 19, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #1,375 of 2,099
Ok, I finally decided to go for it and ordered an Xduoo with the Burson amp ready for me to install. Hope the claims of holographic presentation are not too overblown as I won't be able to return it!!!
I have a question - I'd like to try running it as a DAC with my Fiio X5iii. This would have to be via coax. Can anyone either confirm that I need a four pole to two pole coax, or correct me and tell me what I do need?
I have to source my stuff on TaoBao so I need to be pretty specific!!!
Thanks (and I'll let you know how I get on!)

Apr 20, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #1,376 of 2,099
-2123018281-1087277739.jpg
You can find it in aliexpress as well or ebay. I found it before let me check.
Ok, I finally decided to go for it and ordered an Xduoo with the Burson amp ready for me to install. Hope the claims of holographic presentation are not too overblown as I won't be able to return it!!!
I have a question - I'd like to try running it as a DAC with my Fiio X5iii. This would have to be via coax. Can anyone either confirm that I need a four pole to two pole coax, or correct me and tell me what I do need?
I have to source my stuff on TaoBao so I need to be pretty specific!!!
Thanks (and I'll let you know how I get on!)

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #1,377 of 2,099
You can find it in aliexpress as well or ebay. I found it before let me check.
Thank you so much, found it on TaoBao thanks to your clear image!

Apr 21, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #1,378 of 2,099
Still waiting for that coax to be delivered, probably tomorrow.
However, the XD05 came today, along with the V5i-d.
With my UM Macbeth IEMs it's not a huge difference from the Cayin C5 - it all sounds good, don't get me wrong. Just not super different.
However, this amp makes my HE400i's absolutely sing. Soundstage is utterly transformed and the presentation is beautifully detailed yet not lacking at all in the lower frequencies. Rarely have cause to engage bass boost.

I am DELIGHTED with this amp and it's synergy with the Hifiman cans - this is far and away the best I have heard them (better than with the iFi iCan SE) Well worth the price for the result with these cans alone. With the Nighthawks I'm not yet convinced but, to be honest, I couldn't stop listening to the 400i's today. Will post again when I can try out the DAC. Currently, though, super pleased.

Apr 21, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #1,379 of 2,099
By the way, before you buy a lot of op-amps beware that there are plenty of fakes on eBay. Some counterfeit IC op-amps do not sound too bad and might even come close to the original, but for best results I think buying straight from Burson or NJR makes more sense than ordering a 2107 hoping it’s genuine

Apr 22, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #1,380 of 2,099
hey i was using my 05 and it randomly turned off. now when I try to turn it on it just shows the screen for a second and then says protect and turns off. I've been using the v5i for a while now but it just did this today for the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back