XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Aug 30, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #422 of 2,098
I don't know because is in the custom

Oh you haven't gotten it yet? Ok cool. 

I honestly most likely won't buy it anyway, cuz I'm already very happy with my Oppo HA-2, and also I'm not too keen on the volume knob being so sensitive, and also some people on here say in b/t songs it makes a "clicking" sound which they say is actually a protective feature to prevent power spikes. But still, I'll read your review either way. lol

Aug 30, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #423 of 2,098
The "clicking" sound is not unique to the XD-05. Nearly every amp that I have come across does the same thing when turning on. This includes sound cards, receivers, portable and desktop amps. I'd say non-clicking amps are harder to find. I am assuming that it happens more often on the XD-05 to save power, shutting off the amp after a brief period with no input.

Having heard the HA-2 multiple times, IMO the HA-2 is better then stock XD-05. Getting the XD-05 would be redundant, there will not be any large improvement in sound quality. 

Op-amp rolling is probably the most significant "advantage" of the XD-05 compared to the HA-2.

Aug 31, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #427 of 2,098
  The "clicking" sound is not unique to the XD-05. Nearly every amp that I have come across does the same thing when turning on. This includes sound cards, receivers, portable and desktop amps. I'd say non-clicking amps are harder to find. I am assuming that it happens more often on the XD-05 to save power, shutting off the amp after a brief period with no input.

Having heard the HA-2 multiple times, IMO the HA-2 is better then stock XD-05. Getting the XD-05 would be redundant, there will not be any large improvement in sound quality. 

Op-amp rolling is probably the most significant "advantage" of the XD-05 compared to the HA-2.

ZGojira, 

Thanks for your input. 

I don't remember if I hear a click through my headphones when turning my HA-2 on or off, but I do know that I NEVER hear a click in between songs, etc etc. What I notice is that if more than I dunno, 20-30 seconds (or so) goes by w/o any music being played, it will go into "Standby Mode" and only get out of it a few seconds after it detects music. But there's never any clicking noise. If I am in the middle of the track and hit the button to start it over, that will bring it out of Standby Mode too. 

I really appreciate that you've tried them BOTH out. I am getting mixed reviews from both this site and others like Massdrop on that comparison. To me I want a balanced/neutral sound, but if it's a bit warm, I guess that's fine too. I love that the HA-2 balances out the bass too so an overly bassy track will sound less so. And for those that lack, I find that the Bass Boost feature is quite helpful (esp on certain heavier rock tracks). It sounds to me like I'm probably just going to stick with my HA-2. The bigger body and sensitive volume knob of the XD-05 factor into that decision as well. 

What is op-amp rolling? 

Aug 31, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #428 of 2,098
Fast first impression: i tried the amplifier with my android phone via itg but my phone is no compatible.
so i connected the phone via headphne jack.
in every case the amplifier is huge and the term portable amplifier does a little bit laughing
After this, i connected the amplifier in my pc with windows 10.
no problem at all with the drivers and the installation.
my source is tidal hifi, so no foobar or similar.
yesterday i received the centrance dacport slim.
the xduoo seems to me superior.
i have not noticed any clicks and i think that the volume potentiometer is good.
in this week(work and children allowing)i listen better and i will made a better compairison with the centrance.
like a first impression again, i think that for this price better is impossible. i paid 150€(including shipping), around 170 dollars

Aug 31, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #429 of 2,098
  Fast first impression: i tried the amplifier with my android phone via itg but my phone is no compatible.
so i connected the phone via headphne jack.
in every case the amplifier is huge and the term portable amplifier does a little bit laughing
After this, i connected the amplifier in my pc with windows 10.
no problem at all with the drivers and the installation.
my source is tidal hifi, so no foobar or similar.
yesterday i received the centrance dacport slim.
the xduoo seems to me superior.
i have not noticed any clicks and i think that the volume potentiometer is good.
in this week(work and children allowing)i listen better and i will made a better compairison with the centrance.
like a first impression again, i think that for this price better is impossible. i paid 150€(including shipping), around 170 dollars

Which phone do you have? The OTG cable wouldn't allow it to work still with your phone?? That's not good, b/c it should. Connecting with the headphone jack I'm pretty sure means you're NOT using the DAC in the XD-05, only the amp. The DAC will only be activated when connecting your phone to the it DIGITALLY. The headphone jack is an analog connector. 

With your PC though it sounds like you got it right. 

When you say superior, superior to what? The PC by itself? Your phone by itself? 

Ok cool on clicks and volume knob. 

Aug 31, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #430 of 2,098
  Which phone do you have? The OTG cable wouldn't allow it to work still with your phone?? That's not good, b/c it should. Connecting with the headphone jack I'm pretty sure means you're NOT using the DAC in the XD-05, only the amp. The DAC will only be activated when connecting your phone to the it DIGITALLY. The headphone jack is an analog connector. 

With your PC though it sounds like you got it right. 

When you say superior, superior to what? The PC by itself? Your phone by itself? 

Ok cool on clicks and volume knob. 

My phone does not have otg support. it´s an huawei p7 lite with lollipop. i know that with the headphone jack the dac in the duoo is bypassed.
when i speak about superior is reported to comparison with the centrance which it´s still a good product.
but i repeat: it´s just a first impression.
in any case, i don´t regret, with this amplifier and my headphone(oppo pm-3), the stuffs that i had in the past. and my wallet sais thank you
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #431 of 2,098
  My phone does not have otg support. it´s an huawei p7 lite with lollipop. i know that with the headphone jack the dac in the duoo is bypassed.
when i speak about superior is reported to comparison with the centrance which it´s still a good product.
but i repeat: it´s just a first impression.
in any case, i don´t regret, with this amplifier and my headphone(oppo pm-3), the stuffs that i had in the past. and my wallet sais thank you
biggrin.gif

Oh ok. 

I was more interested in how the DAC sounded (though amp too). At least your PC connection was digital, so that helps. Glad it sounded better than your Centrance did when connected to your PC (or P7 phone?) But at this point I think I've decided to just stick with my HA-2. I will still read your review either way just to hear more. 

Thanks!

Aug 31, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #432 of 2,098

Oh ok. 

I was more interested in how the DAC sounded (though amp too). At least your PC connection was digital, so that helps. Glad it sounded better than your Centrance did when connected to your PC (or P7 phone?) But at this point I think I've decided to just stick with my HA-2. I will still read your review either way just to hear more. 

Thanks!

well, it´s hard to judge a dac in a combination with an amplifier. too much  variables.
i use the centrance with my pc too. i think that the dac is the same of the duoo

Aug 31, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #433 of 2,098
  well, it´s hard to judge a dac in a combination with an amplifier. too much  variables.
i use the centrance with my pc too. i think that the dac is the same of the duoo

Yeah, but IMO the DAC is what has the biggest influence on how good the sound quality will be. The amp just makes it louder. lol

Oh ok, cool. Yeah that's good you compared them both on PC so that they're both on equal standing. 

Aug 31, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #434 of 2,098

Yeah, but IMO the DAC is what has the biggest influence on how good the sound quality will be. The amp just makes it louder. lol

Oh ok, cool. Yeah that's good you compared them both on PC so that they're both on equal standing. 

well...on a side you´re right. the dac is most important but in the other side if you have a good or poor amplification the result is different

Aug 31, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #435 of 2,098
  well...on a side you´re right. the dac is most important but in the other side if you have a good or poor amplification the result is different

That is true too. A DAC will only sound as good as the amp lets it. If the amp is poor, you won't be able to really hear ALL that the DAC is doing (or isn't doing lol). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back