XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Sep 28, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #1,967 of 2,099
I do use it for Coax, but it's a DIY cable. It's an Oyaide HPC cable with Oyaide P-3.5SRL connectors on each end. In my experience I've found that different 3.5mm cables do alter the sound even when used in a coax connection. The cable doesn't influence the sound as much as it normally would in an analogue line out connection, but this particular cable does sound better in coax than every other 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable I've tried.

I also use an RCA to 3.5mm connection from a desktop amp to my player using a Blue Jeans Belden 1505F cable. That cable sounds better than my DIY RCA to 3.5mm Oyaide HPC cable using most of the same materials . If I had to buy/make everything over again, I'd probably just get the Blue Jeans cable for all of my coax connections (RCA to 3.5mm, and 3.5 to 3.5):

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/digital-audio/index.htm

Sep 30, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #1,969 of 2,099
have you tried the cheaper ad827jnz to see if they are similar to the ad827sq?

I've now spent some time comparing the AD827JNZ to the SQ variant. I was surprised at how similar they sound. I could immediately tell something was different between them, but it took several back and forth volume matched swaps before I could figure it out. The JNZ has the same basic sound as the SQ, but with some fullness and micro detail removed. With that fullness removed Instruments and vocals have less realism to them, as something is just missing/incomplete. The tone shifts ever so slightly brighter, but also less clear at the same time. Due to the reduced fullness there is less overall ambience, and less spatial detail as well.

I've said a lot of negatives about the JNZ variant, but I need to emphasize that all of the changes are small, subtle even. The end sound is very close to being the same. That said, if there's one thing I've learned in this hobby is that small changes in sound make big differences in enjoyment. The SQ variant sounds plainly better in my opinion only.

Oct 1, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #1,970 of 2,099
Hi, I'm intrigued by Xduoo XD-05 Plus.

I have read that many of you try different opamps, in stock format how does it sound?

Is it difficult to change opamps?

I know these cost more, but a comparison to Chord Mojo and IFI Micro IDSD Black Label? Are they much superior as SQ?

Are all the necessary cables already in the package, for charging and connecting with Android smartphones?

My favorite DAC of all the ones I've tried is Dragonfly Cobalt, but it's not super powerful.

Oct 1, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #1,971 of 2,099
I have read that many of you try different opamps, in stock format how does it sound?
Hello man.

Stock operational amplifier is Texas Instruments 1612, this is completely OK. Is good for high volume listening and it sound somewhat like Mojo does.

Is it difficult to change opamps?
Overall no, is not hard. The ones that are 'Dual' are more easy. 'Single' ones, you need 2 operational amplifiers and is harder to place them in. Is fine though, i think anyone can do it.

You will need screw driver to open it (to open the amplifier), to unscrew the screws, i think phone dissasembly ones are enough. They are 7-15 euros in Amazon.

Operational amplifiers you can find in AliExpress, a lot and not so expensive (same, 1-7-15 euros).

I know these cost more, but a comparison to Chord Mojo and IFI Micro IDSD Black Label? Are they much superior as SQ?
The detail retrieval depends on the DAC, XDuoo has build in AKM 4493. It sounds good enough if you ask me. Compare to Mojo, is with less bass and less treble at 10-12khz (at default position, it has 4-5 dac filters, they change the sound). Sounds neutal. However, there are 5 (or 4 were) DAC filters you can use, they change (there are ones that add bass) the sound. I would say the filters change the sound for sure, but operational amplifier switch will give you 2x effect.

Are all the necessary cables already in the package, for charging and connecting with Android smartphones?
There are 2 cables for connecting to other devices, one is one USB C to USB Micro (like usb c from modern smartphone to usb like Mojo has) and one USB C to USB C.

There is also 1 cable for charging.

This is what it comes with overall:

xduoo-xd-05-plus-7.jpg

You need the 6.3mm adapter for to connect 3.5mm headphones. The 6.3 goes into Xduoo and you then can connect 3.5mm headphones (by plugging them into the 6.3, the 6,3 is in the Xduoo). By default it has only 6.3mm output. In the box you already have adapter 6.3 to 3.5, so no need to worry about it.

Could take a look at the reviews in HeadFi: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/xduoo-xd-05-plus.23940/reviews

Could take a look at this post for the operational amplifiers (thanks to this gentleman again @Dramlin): https://www.head-fi.org/threads/xdu...ion-impressions.789886/page-119#post-15729305

Any op-amp that says single, you need 2 of them, anyone that says dual you need only 1.

So looks the place where you need to place the opamps (with them pulled out and none installed):

index.php

So looks with dual opamp placed in (where you need only 1 of them):

11512283_thumb.jpg

So looks with single opamps placed in (where you need 2 of them):

11426083.jpg

Overall great device.

Battery life is 14-15 hours as dac/amp and 35-40 in only amplifier mode. Charges for 5-6h to full from 0.

Works wth Neutron and UAPP.

Is not great for IEMs, you need to use at least 1/3 of the volume, otherwise i fear there is channel inbalance. For 32 ohms and + is where is good.

Spoiler op-amps:

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #1,972 of 2,099
Hello man.

Stock operational amplifier is Texas Instruments 1612, this is completely OK. Is good for high volume listening and it sound somewhat like Mojo does.

Overall no, is not hard. The ones that are 'Dual' are more easy. 'Single' ones, you need 2 operational amplifiers and is harder to place them in. Is fine though, i think anyone can do it.

You will need screw driver to open it (to open the amplifier), to unscrew the screws, i think phone dissasembly ones are enough. They are 7-15 euros in Amazon.

Operational amplifiers you can find in AliExpress, a lot and not so expensive (same, 1-7-15 euros).

The detail retrieval depends on the DAC, XDuoo has build in AKM 4493. It sounds good enough if you ask me. Compare to Mojo, is with less bass and less treble at 10-12khz (at default position, it has 4-5 dac filters, they change the sound). Sounds neutal. However, there are 5 (or 4 were) DAC filters you can use, they change (there are ones that add bass) the sound. I would say the filters change the sound for sure, but operational amplifier switch will give you 2x effect.

There are 2 cables for connecting to other devices, one is one USB C to USB Micro (like usb c from modern smartphone to usb like Mojo has) and one USB C to USB C.

There is also 1 cable for charging.

This is what it comes with overall:

xduoo-xd-05-plus-7.jpg

You need the 6.3mm adapter for to connect 3.5mm headphones. The 6.3 goes into Xduoo and you then can connect 3.5mm headphones (by plugging them into the 6.3, the 6,3 is in the Xduoo). By default it has only 6.3mm output. In the box you already have adapter 6.3 to 3.5, so no need to worry about it.

Could take a look at the reviews in HeadFi: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/xduoo-xd-05-plus.23940/reviews

Could take a look at this post for the operational amplifiers (thanks to this gentleman again @Dramlin): https://www.head-fi.org/threads/xdu...ion-impressions.789886/page-119#post-15729305

Any op-amp that says single, you need 2 of them, anyone that says dual you need only 1.

So looks the place where you need to place the opamps (with them pulled out and none installed):

index.php

So looks with dual opamp placed in (where you need only 1 of them):

11512283_thumb.jpg

So looks with single opamps placed in (where you need 2 of them):

11426083.jpg

Overall great device.

Battery life is 14-15 hours as dac/amp and 35-40 in only amplifier mode. Charges for 5-6h to full from 0.

Works wth Neutron and UAPP.

Is not great for IEMs, you need to use at least 1/3 of the volume, otherwise i fear there is channel inbalance. For 32 ohms and + is where is good.

Spoiler op-amps:

Hello and thank you for all the info!

I've read a few reviews and liked what I've read ... it has a very attractive price, lots of driving power and a remarkable battery life ... considering the Mojo doesn't offer more than 5-6 hours.

I am seriously considering it.

Oct 1, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #1,973 of 2,099

I've read a few reviews and liked what I've read ... it has a very attractive price, lots of driving power and a remarkable battery life ... considering the Mojo doesn't offer more than 5-6 hours.

Ok, well....the op-amp switch gives completely different sound. Is like new device. So from this point view i recommend it.

There are videos in youtube how to open it, can search - Xduoo XD05 plus op-amp change and it appears.

As for the op-amps, found this some time ago:

Has videos in his channel for different ones. The difference is very minimal and hard to be heard in Youtube vs. what is the difference when you switch them on real. The price on some of them is really high, like the Muses02 is 45-55, the AD827SQ is well around the 50's and Muses03 is 58 and you need 2 of them (https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NJR/MUSES03?qs=/ha2pyFaduiffy58lpRoV4jvV89viGwIHQu1dAJljmY=). Only for trying these 3=the price of the whole device. The Burson is in the 40's as well, with delivery count it 50 and something. Experimenting is good and ordering ones from AliExpress are fine, i tried the 3 above (links in the spoiler previous comment) and i find that the sound is same as Dramlin describe them. Overall i have old FiioE12A with Muses02 and the op-amps Muses02 i ordered from AliExpress sound same on the Xduoo, just like the E12a. So from there i make conclusion that even if they are replicas, so good that normally can't make difference.

My favorite is Muses03, very good and the best for loud listening. Rolled-off treble and dark, spacious sound is amazing. Muses02 is bright and with forward mids. Bass is fine but the mids and treble are in your face. AD827SQ is very detailed and good, when you turn the volume up though becomes somewhat like Muses02, bright. So not good for loud listening and i don't like it for this reason.

Good luck with your choice.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #1,974 of 2,099
My favorite is Muses03, very good and the best for loud listening. Rolled-off treble and dark, spacious sound is amazing. Muses02 is bright and with forward mids. Bass is fine but the mids and treble are in your face. AD827SQ is very detailed and good, when you turn the volume up though becomes somewhat like Muses02, bright. So not good for loud listening and i don't like it for this reason.
Thank you for the detailed responses above. It's great to hear additional opinions on these op amps.

Oct 2, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #1,975 of 2,099
By the way, be wary of the taxes for importing products from the far east. If you order it from Xduoo site for example and don't find it in Italy or meybe EU shop, there is chance there will be tax that is around 50. Keep this in mind and take it in consideration. So it is actually going into the 320-350 if you add 2-3 op-amps to try from AliExpress. Best to ask the support if there is tax for Italy. Because they write most of the time (in the delivery information page on their site) there is no tax, but there is some now recently added. This summer i think.

Thank you for the detailed responses above. It's great to hear additional opinions on these op amps.
Yes, really liking the 827SQ as well 👍. Muses02, there are some recording where it sound very alive, some from 70 and 80s.

PS: I reckon Muses02 will be good for games with the brigher sound coloration, to hear them steps from afar in shooter games. If somebody reads this and going after the Xduoo for PC and games, the Muses02 or the AD827SQ is the one for you. Muses02 can be found more easy though i think. You don't want to add EQ in Windows and bright soudning op-amp will help a lot.

Oct 2, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #1,976 of 2,099
By the way, be wary of the taxes for importing products from the far east. If you order it from Xduoo site for example and don't find it in Italy or meybe EU shop, there is chance there will be tax that is around 50. Keep this in mind and take it in consideration. So it is actually going into the 320-350 if you add 2-3 op-amps to try from AliExpress. Best to ask the support if there is tax for Italy. Because they write most of the time (in the delivery information page on their site) there is no tax, but there is some now recently added. This summer i think.
No problem, I saw that it is available on audioheavenstore - Polish shop with shipping from Poland - and also another French shop.

Is there also a charging cable in the package? And just use the classic 5V 2A smartphone charger, like with Mojo?

Oct 2, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #1,977 of 2,099
Is there also a charging cable in the package? And just use the classic 5V 2A smartphone charger, like with Mojo?
Yes, there is cable for charging in the box. USB C end. 3 cables overall in the box, 1 for charging long, 2 short ones for USB Audio. One USB C to USB C and one USB C to Micro USB.

It has 2 USB C ports, one is for receiving signal USB Audio and one is for charging. It does not drain phone battery.

44f6421454f2052a96eeeacb5099b324_2048x2048.jpg

The port for charging is with USB C. The other end of the cable you can plug in charger. So looks:

5ac6d34b-7d81-4123-9dfd-179cace128d7_1.e78c5943eec03641f4c61e40823b3470.jpeg

Charger, 1 to 2A and 5V. I tried with 1A, works and charges, works with 2A as well.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #1,978 of 2,099

I've both and I like both. Mojo have more density in music, sounding more analoque, more warm, it's great sinergy with Grado headphones.
In XD05+ I changed standard opamp with AD827SQ (thanx @Dramlin for your post), music is more detalied, especially in bass tracks. It's great for headphones like Takstar HF580 or Superlux HD330 in other words not for too bright hp. IMHO, of corse.

Attachments

• _DSC9381.jpg
    _DSC9381.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 0
  • _DSC9382.jpg
    _DSC9382.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 0
  • _DSC9386.jpg
    _DSC9386.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 8, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #1,979 of 2,099
I bought Xduoo XD-05 Plus from Audioheavenstore, it should arrive between Tuesday and Wednesday.

Does anyone still use it in the stock format or have everyone changed opamps?

Where did you buy the Burson V5i-D? Link to any reliable store? If in Europe it is better.

I have read mixed opinions on the Burson V5i-D though, as far as the bass is concerned.

I listen to a lot of extreme metal, so I need tight, fast and perfectly controlled bass. How does Burson V5i-D behave from this point of view?

Oct 8, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #1,980 of 2,099
I bought Xduoo XD-05 Plus from Audioheavenstore, it should arrive between Tuesday and Wednesday.

Does anyone still use it in the stock format or have everyone changed opamps?

Where did you buy the Burson V5i-D? Link to any reliable store? If in Europe it is better.

I have read mixed opinions on the Burson V5i-D though, as far as the bass is concerned.

I listen to a lot of extreme metal, so I need tight, fast and perfectly controlled bass. How does Burson V5i-D behave from this point of view?
I think Burson might be having a sale right now - I think I got an email in the past week or so. I didn't need any, so I deleted it, unfortunately.

I listen to a lot of metal, and I think they sound great with it. The characteristics all depend on the source, but I think you can get to where you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back