XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player
Jan 29, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #4,246 of 5,194
Didn't someone (probably from the Russian forum) put a DIP adapter socket on their X3? I can't remember if there is room in the device to socket the opamps. Seems unlikely, but it would be better than repeated surface mount soldering...

Jan 29, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #4,247 of 5,194
For all the complaints about x3 and it's sortware, it is still extremely difficult to find a player that is remotely comparable to it in its price range, especially considering there's rockbox available.

Yes xduoo stunk in the way it just abandoned the user base and stopped with the software updates (either because they didn't care or they can't I don't know), but it's quite telling whenever the question of what is a sound wise competitor to the x3, the suggestions are usually players that are 4 to 8 times the price.

I guess there's a trade off at some point, you want a great sounding player with a rocking interface? You pay for it. Don't expect to pay $80 and expect a player that would compete in every way against a $400 player. It's simply common sense and it's unreasonable otherwise.

Jan 30, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #4,248 of 5,194
Absolutely agree with @ambchang.

I've been really impressed that when I reviewed the Soundaware Esther Pro the X3 held it's own against a DAP that sells for 6x it's price.
I strongly suspect that the chip (all 3 DAPs I've compared with used the 4398 chip) plays a huge part in this.
The differences in DAPs for me has been in ergonomics and UI.
Personally for walking etc. I actually prefer the X3, it is the most pocket friendly DAP I've experienced.
I'm just not impressed with Xduoo as a company and their lack of support of what should have been a real giant killer of a DAP
It seems somehow 'wrong' that they rely on a 3rd party to implement a 3rd party tool to correct their mistakes (or misteps not sure which)

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #4,250 of 5,194
My XDuoo X3 no longer charges/turns on. I've owned it about 11 months, and in the last few weeks, the battery level indicator became unreliable and it would run out of battery sooner and sooner. Yesterday it shut down while playing music abd the battery indicator showed 50% charge. I'm going to guess the battery is faulty... anyone know where I can find a replacement?

Feb 2, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #4,254 of 5,194
Feb 3, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #4,259 of 5,194
hi,

so my xduuo's battery is dead since i got it. basically, when i charge it it overheats. Does anyone know what seems to be the problem and which screw driver do i buy to open the back. can anyone recommend me with a replacement battery for it, i dont care if the capacity is smaller i just want to try xduuo.

Feb 3, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #4,260 of 5,194
I searched this thread, and found this post from someone who replaced the battery:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/782912/xduoo-x3-dsd-24bit-192khz-cs4398-chip-lossless-music-player/3975#post_12929950

Their link to the aliexpress page selling the battery doesn't work anymore. Regardless, I'd rather buy from a more reputable seller (and since I'm in the US, ideally a US seller). I found this, and while most of the specs look like a good match, the thickness (7mm) is probably too much:

https://chicagodist.com/products/lithium-ion-battery-3-7v-2000mah

I found it interesting that they say this:

"Like most lipos, the batteries we sell do not have thermistors built in. This is why we suggest charging at 1 C or even less - 100 to 500mA is a good rate, and available from any USB port if using a USB-powered charger."

Does anyone know if the XDuoo X3 includes circuitry to limit the charge amperage? If not, maybe that's why so many people experienced battery issues (and/or maybe the batteries they include weren't reputable). I know I sometimes charged mine with a 2A charging source, and I wonder if my battery would have lasted longer from a 500mA only source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back