XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player
Apr 25, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #3,078 of 5,194
Can you quote what you are talking about because all I found is people confused on how to update and mixed feelings on RB

http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch/?search=pitch&resultSortingPreference=recency&byuser=&output=posts&sdate=0&newer=1&type=all&containingthread[0]=782912&advanced=1   POST 3011

Apr 26, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #3,080 of 5,194
  Well, they are different - c3 is brighter and clearer with better separation as the x3 fills the space between the instruments with a bit of warmth; x3 is warmer and smoother and has better texture and microdetails but presents them in a more polite manner. X3 is also superior in layering

I support this opinion.

I got XDuoo X3 today. Happy owner of colorfly c3 for 2 years. I use shure IEM SE846.

To me C3 sounds better, vocals are enjoyable, brighter, every sound attack seems to reach its peak fine, with full power, but the sound doesn't go out for some extra time, i think it over extends in time compared to stationary DAC.

X3 XDuoo has more powerfull overall bass and lows, but the mids are not as strong as on C3. To me X3 sounds somewhat dirty, the sound attack does not reach peak, falling off as if there was not enough micro power to go full amplitude. Especially seen when multiple attacks come on different high low and mid. It somewhat reminds of Ipod nano 3-4 gen experience, with its mechanical, low extent and low peaks sound. Imo, X3 audio chip may be of a new design and specs, but other components on the board may be not very impressive sound wise.

For reference on Asus Essence one muses - there is no lack of power, everything sounds correctly. Not overextended like on C3.

Colorfly C3 is extra durable, it operates well on motorcycle, on the run, in the gym... Once it fell out of the pocket and stayed in a wet puddle for 7 days, until I found it. It worked fine after, only one tiny bit came off the motherboard, must be some resistance piece. Ipod nano 3/4 batteries died fast due to cold weather exercises and sweat that killed them.

Maybe X3 is not warmed up, not burnt in yet.

C3 is more compact, more durable, better sound quality. (For my sports application)

And of course SQ can not compare to Audezee LCD2 with Asus E-one.

Apr 26, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #3,081 of 5,194

Well, they are different - c3 is brighter and clearer with better separation as the x3 fills the space between the instruments with a bit of warmth; x3 is warmer and smoother and has better texture and microdetails but presents them in a more polite manner. X3 is also superior in layering

I support this opinion.

I got XDuoo X3 today. Happy owner of colorfly c3 for 2 years. I use shure IEM SE846.

To me C3 sounds better, vocals are enjoyable, brighter, every sound attack seems to reach its peak fine, with full power, but the sound doesn't go out for some extra time, i think it over extends in time compared to stationary DAC.

X3 XDuoo has more powerfull overall bass and lows, but the mids are not as strong as on C3. To me X3 sounds somewhat dirty, the sound attack does not reach peak, falling off as if there was not enough micro power to go full amplitude. Especially seen when multiple attacks come on different high low and mid. It somewhat reminds of Ipod nano 3-4 gen experience, with its mechanical, low extent and low peaks sound. Imo, X3 audio chip may be of a new design and specs, but other components on the board may be not very impressive sound wise.

For reference on Asus Essence one muses - there is no lack of power, everything sounds correctly. Not overextended like on C3.

Colorfly C3 is extra durable, it operates well on motorcycle, on the run, in the gym... Once it fell out of the pocket and stayed in a wet puddle for 7 days, until I found it. It worked fine after, only one tiny bit came off the motherboard, must be some resistance piece. Ipod nano 3/4 batteries died fast due to cold weather exercises and sweat that killed them.

C3 is more compact, more durable, better sound quality. (For my sports application)

Can you try the rockbox port and give us your thoughts

Apr 26, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #3,082 of 5,194

Rockbox has a sound improvement, I doubt. Anyway, I didn't hear it different, but apart from sound department, everything else is superb. Its swift, and has tons of options, which I have not seen before for a any stock DAP os. By the way, Xduoo is my first Rockboxed device, and I should say it really is a great addition. I am not sure if my Rockbox installion was proper, and it has something to do with a 'slightly' muddier sound with Rockbox. Did anyone felt the same at any point. I can't say that with confidence, as I keep forgetting between the dual boot switching. So must be placebo!!

Apr 26, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #3,083 of 5,194
  I support this opinion.

confused_face_2.gif

As a ancient owner of the C3 and new owner (today!) of Xduoo X3 I was thinking about how my old C3 sound less good and overly bright and ''metalic'' compared to the exquisitely musical and gentle sound of my Xduoo X3.
Another proof of the subjectivity of sound perception I guess!
wink_face.gif

Anyway, I just begin to listen to it and don't use all my earphones with it. It's a little too impulsive to review the sound right now. Still, I really like how it sound perfectly clean with the Koss Portapro. Will try with my Westone custom ES2 and Grado Sr325i (don't think will sound at its best) in no long to see...and lot of others earphones.

I can say it have way less amping power than the Ibasso Dx90 tough (duh!).

Apr 26, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #3,084 of 5,194

Rockbox has a sound improvement, I doubt. Anyway, I didn't hear it different, but apart from sound department, everything else is superb. Its swift, and has tons of options, which I have not seen before for a any stock DAP os. By the way, Xduoo is my first Rockboxed device, and I should say it really is a great addition. I am not sure if my Rockbox installion was proper, and it has something to do with a 'slightly' muddier sound with Rockbox. Did anyone felt the same at any point. I can't say that with confidence, as I keep forgetting between the dual boot switching. So must be placebo!!

uh oh, slightly muddier sound? can you explain that further?

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #3,085 of 5,194
Still enjoying my Xduoo X3 right now and having try lot of different earphones with it I always returns to a strange one....

The Plextone S50.
Sinergy is just phenomenal with this ultra cheap in ear...something magical happen for real. Anybody got this rather unknow 10$ gems?

For a fast description of the Xduoo X3 sound I will say it's very clean and non fatiguing, smoothly detailed and kind of laid back sounding depending of the earphones (not so with the superb S50). It's a neutral player that render details very well and have a complete black background. Soundstage is airy and frontal (?), soundsignature on the warm side. Personally, I prefer it to the brightish Fiio X3 sound but the amp is less powerfull.
Xduoo X3 is really impressing me.
ksc75smile.gif

Apr 27, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #3,087 of 5,194
Still enjoying my Xduoo X3 right now and having try lot of different earphones with it I always returns to a strange one....

The Plextone S50.
Sinergy is just phenomenal with this ultra cheap in ear...something magical happen for real. Anybody got this rather unknow 10$ gems?

For a fast description of the Xduoo X3 sound I will say it's very clean and non fatiguing, smoothly detailed and kind of laid back sounding depending of the earphones (not so with the superb S50). It's a neutral player that render details very well and have a complete black background. Soundstage is airy and frontal (?), soundsignature on the warm side. Personally, I prefer it to the brightish Fiio X3 sound but the amp is less powerfull.
Xduoo X3 is really impressing me.:ksc75smile:  
But fiios are already considered warm and dark relative to completely neutral players.

Apr 27, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #3,089 of 5,194
I don't know about all Fiio product, I just have the FiioE7 and first gen Fiio X3 and find the X3 quite dark and bight sounding...lack of air and warm musicality of the Wolfson WM8740 that sound quite good with the Fiio E7 dac. At the time I was using Grado Alessandro MS-1 and Shure se420 with the Fiio X3. Not sure i'm objective about this player because I really did not like his soundsignature, before it I have the Xuelin ihifi 812v2 and it was so musical, warm, airy and effortlessly sounding...I remember I want to return the Fiio and was thinking it was a false
confused_face.gif

Anyway, the point is: XDUOO SOUND SUPER GOOD
bigsmile_face.gif
and I don't think their another player in this price range that use the Cirrus Logic CS4938.
But I will not suggest it to people that just have headphones, really, this player is perfect for earphones.
But if you have a portable amp it change the game because of the line out.

Firmware isn't the best tough....not very intuitive.

Apr 27, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #3,090 of 5,194
uh oh, slightly muddier sound? can you explain that further?
like I mentioned it can be completely placebo. By the way i am really sorry that I do not know well to explain it. May be I should try recording the headphone out using some device and see if there is any difference well. Everything I told earlier was subjective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back