XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player
Apr 22, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #3,061 of 5,194
  is there anyone who use Ostry KC06A with xduuo x3 ...

I use only KC06 but many says it's almost the same but A version more V-shape sound, specially bigger bass boost.
The KC06 sounds great with X3.

Basicaly all IEMs (P3, VSD3, KC06, many KZs) and the headphone (AKG K550) what I've tried sounds great with X3 imho.
(However imho VSD3+xDuoo X2 is the best low budget basshead combo i've heard so far)

Apr 22, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #3,062 of 5,194
Hi there, 
I currently own a Fiio X5 and am looking for an upgrade, mainly to do with the fact that I want to a more neutral sounding DAP and better soundstage.
I have been looking at a different range of DAPs including Astell & Kern (Jr, AK100ii and AK120ii) and iBasso DX80 but nothing is looking an considerable upgrade to what I have already.
From what I have read on this post is the X3 should be considered a serious contender.

I must admit I am a bit sceptical :confused:  hence why I am writing this post and would be grateful for any feedback before I take the next step with my DAP upgrade. 
1) Can anyone verify whether the X3 can be considered an upgrade to Fiio X5 (1st Gen) in terms of sound quality or is it more of case it just has a different sound texture?

I am aware of the stock firmware issues / restrictions, therefore assuming Rockbox is installed:-
2) Is it possible to use M3U playlists (which I have already created using foobar)?
3) Gapless playback is available
4) Replaygain is also available.

Apologies if these questions have already been posed but I am new to this post and I have done my best to read as much as possible, but I am seriously considering purchasing the X3 as an upgrade to my Fiio X5. Therefore, I appreciate any comments, feedback and words of wisdom :wink_face:  

IMO, this is not an interest or hobby that includes considerable upgrades, but rather one of small and very subjective improvements. That said, I am also not a big FiiO fan with the X5ii being the only DAP that I actually sold because I was disappointed in it. But, while the SQ of the X3 is very impressive for its cost, I would not consider it an upgrade for any of the AKs or iBasso DX80. The X3 UI is poor to not there and it sure does not appear as if xDuoo will fix it since they passed the information to Rockbox. The Rockbox effort is in beta at best with frequent changes and no real documentation. Unless you like the challenge of figuring things out on your own the Rockbox X3 may not be to your liking.

If xDuoo would fix the firmware so the included features at least worked, it would be a good low cost player, but not really an upgrade for anything. Well, maybe the FiiO M3.

Apr 23, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #3,065 of 5,194
I think the Xduoo X3 has a much bigger soundstage than Fiio's X1. 

Apr 23, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #3,066 of 5,194
I thought the fiio x1 was slightly bright or focused on upper mids. X3 isn't really bright. I would call it really neutral and balanced

So it's darker relative to the X1 , got it.

I think the Xduoo X3 has a much bigger soundstage that Fiio's X1. 
That I know :wink:

Apr 23, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #3,067 of 5,194
So it's darker relative to the X1 , got it.
That I know
wink.gif

I wouldn't call it a dark sound, just a very netureal one, but relative to the X1, yeah it is a bit darker probably.

Apr 24, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #3,068 of 5,194
I love this DAP. I started in to this audio game with Fiio X1 which I love(d). Lovely sound but the more I used it the more I thought it sounded a bit too warm and maybe lacked detail. this was mainly after I purchased the Fiio e10k for my laptop. I started hearing music much clearer and accurate, more neutral too. Going by price I thought I'd take the chance on the Xd X3 to see if it uncovered more details in my music... which it has thankfully.

I planned on doing a song by song comparison on them both, but straight away I could tell the X3 was more accurate, better with micro details and as a bonus had SO MUCH more control of bass. Nice and accurate, and punchy. Much better than the Fx1. It is def more neutral, but not in a boring way as it is still musical. It felt less congested than the Fx1 too. I think the Fx1 maybe beats it when it comes to being more musical, but again only slight.

Another bonus of the Xd3 is it powered my headphones much better. i managed to get the Sony Mdr100AAP on ebay recently for £22 as it was an ex display model, great bargain. I kinda gave up on them though quite quickly s they didn't seem to live up to the reviews, they were good but lacked a lot for a set that sells for £130 imo. with the xd3 though they came alive, even in the headphone out. Now I could hear the clarity the reviews boasted about, with lovely controlled bass, very accurate sounding. Have been listening with them all day.

Using the Sony's with the line out and a topping nx2 amp made them even clearer but they started to lack a little bit of warmth and in some songs a bit harsh top end. The only problem using a headphone amp is the size difference as the xd3 is very slim so pairing is awkward, but the dap looks and feels great too handlwe ithout one.

The Ui does get a bit of getting used to, especially the settings. It kept turning itself off every few songs. I realised I had it on auto power off 10 mins which happened as i didn't put led off on timer so it stayed on. I have got used to it though.

The only problem I have is it seems to cut a half second off the start of new song choices, not always but quite a lot??? Neveer used the rockbox as it seems very complicated lol.

Hope this helps anyone looking at buying either Fiio x1 and Xduoo x3. Both are great, but the cheaper x3 is better sounding all round.

Apr 24, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #3,069 of 5,194
Damn. Someone should really buy that used X3 in Classifieds for a nice price. If it's not sold by the end of the day I'm going to buy it as a backup :wink:

@harry501501 - Replace "topping nx2" with "cayin c5" and "Sony Mdr100AAP" with "Aurisonics 2.5" and you have pretty much my exact fiio x1 to xduoo X3 story. Never going back.

Apr 24, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #3,070 of 5,194
  Damn. Someone should really buy that used X3 in Classifieds for a nice price. If it's not sold by the end of the day I'm going to buy it as a backup :wink:

Seller posted "why" in post #3006.  Moved on to Cayin N5.

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #3,071 of 5,194
  I love this DAP. I started in to this audio game with Fiio X1 which I love(d). Lovely sound but the more I used it the more I thought it sounded a bit too warm and maybe lacked detail. this was mainly after I purchased the Fiio e10k for my laptop. I started hearing music much clearer and accurate, more neutral too. Going by price I thought I'd take the chance on the Xd X3 to see if it uncovered more details in my music... which it has thankfully.

I planned on doing a song by song comparison on them both, but straight away I could tell the X3 was more accurate, better with micro details and as a bonus had SO MUCH more control of bass. Nice and accurate, and punchy. Much better than the Fx1. It is def more neutral, but not in a boring way as it is still musical. It felt less congested than the Fx1 too. I think the Fx1 maybe beats it when it comes to being more musical, but again only slight.

I agree with your coments but the bass control part, not sure the X3 is far better, but sense of space around the instruments is where X1 can't compare to X3 and sound stage is wider.

Quote:
The only problem I have is it seems to cut a half second off the start of new song choices, not always but quite a lot??? Neveer used the rockbox as it seems very complicated lol.

No cut off with Rockbox, but a delay around 2 seconds when starting the first song, happen sometimes when you're in the middle of a song and start a new one (not the next one).

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #3,072 of 5,194
I'd like to see Xduoo solve secreen brightness issue under sunlight. It's almost invisible even at max.

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #3,073 of 5,194
Same for me, and using the inverse mode in Rockbox LCD Settings don't improve a lot, let's hope it's not a hardware thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back