XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player
Oct 16, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #122 of 5,194
I don't have other DAP. But I do like X3. It's so cute and small in the hand, I love its slim design. For the sound, I think it's a different taste from Meridian Explorer. Explorer has warm sound. X3 is more bright. I have no time to AB them but no sense of obvious inferior.

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #123 of 5,194
Atm Penon Audio who have the best price on XDuoo X3 are still out of stock, this does not help thread contribution.

But to answer your questions:

1) Abosultey better than FiiO X1.

2) Yes, it can keep up with FiiO X3II, especially for someone looking to leave FiiO's warmer house sound behind.

3) Have not heard the HP200 so cannot say. But XDuoo X3 drives my HD25 (70ohm) no problem.

Atm, I'm definitely around, but I don't want to flood the thread with just 'my' impressions because proof is always in numbers. What I can tell you is I'm using XDuoo X3 right now, and have been since it arrived and remain more than satisfied.

Okay just last question...............e17(2) or xduoo x3?
I understand they have diff implications and functions but purely on basis of x1+e17(2) vs just xduoo x

iem's would be vc1000,havi b3 pro1,vc02
headphone--hp200

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #124 of 5,194

I understand they have diff implications and functions but purely on basis of x1+e17(2) vs just xduoo x

headphone--hp200

Maybe X1 and Xduoo X3 and then you gonna decide which one suits you better? You don't need combination like Fiio X1 + E17 to drive your HP200.

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #125 of 5,194
  Maybe X1 and Xduoo X3 and then you gonna decide which one suits you better? You don't need combination like Fiio X1 + E17 to drive your HP200.

I know but i was getting e17 for using as an external soundcard plus general improvement in sq from x1.

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #126 of 5,194

headphone--hp200

Never heard an E17, not much help there. Sounds like you want to venture away from the FiiO sound though, not add more warmth. If you want my honest opinion get the XDuoo X3. But I recommend using it full-time in high gain which is 6db+ mode in settings. Because even with low impedance, say 11ohm Fidue A83 low gain sounds to soft imo. Once you're in high gain it performs normally. I have no idea why the volume feels so soft in low gain, it's usable but once using the higher setting I'm more impressed, the dynamics improve the authority, detail etc.

Usually in normal circumstances I'd say always use the lowest gain possible unless you absolutely need more volume, but not here today.

Oct 16, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #129 of 5,194
I should receive it next week, so hopefully I'll be able to join the discussion soon. I'm interested to hear how it will fare with multi-BA like my Noble 6 given that while x2 was great with most of the gear I paired it with, the X2+N6 combo was quite unlistenable.

Oct 16, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #130 of 5,194
I have just had a bit of a session between the X2 and X3 by Xduoo, I have had a quick flick around my headphones and decided on the Soundmagic P21 for this. I did plug the Porta Pro's in but the kind of muddy mid range they produce was amplified on these units. Great little headphones but will keep them for my phone where they sound best. 
Firstly between the 2 I will compare the housing. The X3 definitely has more of a presence which I personally prefer as if you have read previous post I did on the X2 and X1 I did love the X1 and its feel in my pocket. It is like Xduoo have made the X2 for people that want the small powerhouse in your pocket and have now given themselves a little more space to pack in a few more things. Holding it in your hand shows they have thought about that and taken the sharp angles off the back edges and it feels pretty good in the hand.

The whole set on the sides is familiar to anyone who uses a mobile phone and the operation of these comes naturally while the X2 is more of a 2 fingers and a thumb operation. Again this is personal preference I prefer the more bulky style while people who like the Sansa clip may like the size of the X2 more. 
The interface has been ironed out a lot and the internal workings produce a more detailed display on the X3 including more track data such as bit rate and volume level constantly displayed. It is not amazing amounts but its the fine things I like and its an improvement but again its a bigger screen so it would be wrong not too!

They have also added a lock switch on the side which I welcome as the X2 seemed to lack this although the buttons on the X2 were tougher and less sensitive. 
The user controls on the front are more defined with a triangle shaped track forward and back make it easy to blind operate and the play pause button which also works as the select button is easy to pick out blindly also but can be sensitive. You also have an escape button like on a keyboard of a computer and this will jump you backwards until you hit the main menu. I don't really need to explain the power button. 

As everyone will most likely know it supports 2 separate 128 gigabyte cards or up to depending what you have or want to mix and match and also allows you to pick which you are reading from. The X3 also supports Cue sheets which is one of the main options on the menu. I do not use these myself but I am sure many do and will find this a bonus. 
When listening to tracks you can tag a song by tapping the menu button and selecting "add to favorite" puts this track in your favorites (using the American spelling) which can be accessed from the Favorite option on the main menu of the X3, build up the tracks you love and short cut to them. The menu also gives you access to turn on a +6db when you want it with a few other options and full track info read off of the file itself. 

In the overall use of the X3 I find it superior in interface and overall ergonomics than the X2 but the X3 is a lot bigger and has the luxury of more space. I feel they have taken the X2 and read what people were saying and added these into the X3. These are not all of the features but trying to give anyone who does not have one an overview.

OK now to the sound, bare with me as I have been blasting both since I got home from work. 

Ice Cube  - The Nigga you love to hate.flac

This is old school beat but one of his best produced albums Amerikkka's Most wanted.
Between the X2 and X3 I could only say that the X3 handled the bass better separating it and allowing the mid range to come through a little clearer but it took a lot switching between the two and on a blind listen you would not likely notice.

Pearl Jam - Black.flac

Now you can hear the top end and vocals have a slight edge on the X3 compared to the X2 so seems on my headphones I am hearing this but again the  X2 pulls up its pants and keeps up but I can notice the X3 advantage on this track.

Prodigy - Breathe.flac

Again hard to tell between the two of them until the "Breathe the pressure" where the distortion kicks in the high end appears clearer and more separated show that the X3 is producing a better top end for me. The bass is lovely and rich between the two and if you listen again and again (which I did) I would say the X3 defines it slightly better. 

Eagles - Hotel California.flac

I am now finding that voices are slightly better sounding on the X3 but not a massive margin may I add as the X2 is still producing a lovely stage.

Fleetwood Mac - Big Love.flac  

Opening cymbal crash appears more crisp and fades off smoothly and overall vocals lean towards the X3 for me. 

VERDICT

The X3 trumps the X2 on interface and usability in my opinion. The overall feel of the X3 sits better in my hand and the ease of use is instantly noticeable. The X2 should not be underrated on its sound quality and stage it keeps up very well and it is half the price. 
I have only been using my Soundmagic P21 which I think is a great headphone to test with and cost more than the X2. 
After this the X3 is my favorite as it sports a better interface and the size is closer to the XDuoo X1 which preferred over the X2 and also I think if I sported a better set of headphones the X3 would shine better but what do you think?

ADDITION - I forgot to mention there is no EQ on the X3 compared to the X2. The X3 seems to give you exactly what you put into it so an unaltered version of what the artist wanted you to hear. If you are an Audiofile this is most likely what you are looking for in a player and will not have only one pair of headphones. Your headphones are your EQ on this as the artist wanted you to hear and what match you prefer to receive this on is up to you. I noticed this with my Koss porta pros which I like on my mobile using Mp3 and use most days on the way to work. If you require EQ on a player this is not for you. I would say rather than trying to make your headphones fit a hole try and find a pair that suit you and the formats you are using. (Again only my point of view).

Oct 16, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #135 of 5,194
What I dislike most is I cannot figure out how to make it stop at where I have listened. Each time it autimatically turned off, it returned to the beginning of the song. Anyone knows if this player restart at wherever you stop listening?
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back