xDuoo - new company making interesting portable DAC and amp units
Feb 18, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #46 of 95
Please try this : Connect the supplied OTG cable to the XP-1 and then switch on the device. Connect the other end of the OTG cable to the S3. Check if it works. If it doesn't work, disconnect the OTG cable from the S3 and restart (reboot) the phone. After the S3 has rebooted, connect the cable to the phone again and check if it works. I tried it this way and it seems to work. I suspect the supplied OTG cable is not the same as those commonly available OTG cables in the market. The reason is because when I tried to charge the phone with the XP-1, it will only work with the supplied OTG cable. Normal OTG cables does not seem to work.

Also, I noticed that once I switched on the phone charger function, the connection with the S3 is cut off. I need to restart my phone again in order to connect with the XP-1.

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #47 of 95
Quote:
Oic but without the dac the amp section sounds better? I'm more concern about the amp section as I'm using it with my sony Z

I do not think the amp section of the XP-1 is better than the UHA-6S Mk2. At the most, they are equal. So you are safe 
size]
 I have to qualify this by saying that I did not do a very detailed comparison between the two amps. But to my ears, they are about the same in clarity/sound quality.

Btw, I compared the Apex Glacier with the XP-1 this afternoon, I found it very similar in performance. My friend, who is the owner of the Apex, also felt the same way with regards to SQ. That speaks volumes for this amp. My XP-1 has had about 50hrs of burn in time so far.

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #49 of 95
I tried the xDuoo with my Note 2 and UM Merlins a couple of days ago. I really really like the way it sounds but having to restart my phone everytime I plug it in and the loud "pop" sound when turning it on unfortunately proved to be a deal-breaker for me. Would be really interested to hear of any possible workarounds or fixes for those issues. It really does have a nice solid feeling build quality.

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #50 of 95
Quote:
I tried the xDuoo with my Note 2 and UM Merlins a couple of days ago. I really really like the way it sounds but having to restart my phone everytime I plug it in and the loud "pop" sound when turning it on unfortunately proved to be a deal-breaker for me. Would be really interested to hear of any possible workarounds or fixes for those issues. It really does have a nice solid feeling build quality.

From what I know, there is no way you can eliminate the "pop" sound. Just plug in the earphone after switching on the device. As for the restarting of the phone, you can avoid it if you use the standard OTG cable readily available in the market. Avoid using the supplied OTG cable if you do not want the hassle of restarting your phone.

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #51 of 95
Quote:
I do not think the amp section of the XP-1 is better than the UHA-6S Mk2. At the most, they are equal. So you are safe 
size]
 I have to qualify this by saying that I did not do a very detailed comparison between the two amps. But to my ears, they are about the same in clarity/sound quality.

Btw, I compared the Apex Glacier with the XP-1 this afternoon, I found it very similar in performance. My friend, who is the owner of the Apex, also felt the same way with regards to SQ. That speaks volumes for this amp. My XP-1 has had about 50hrs of burn in time so far.

if they're about the same clarity i've made the wrong choice :frowning2: i'm using it as a portable so i want something thinner so it's fit in my pocket. i was also interested in the apex but if sq is similar to xp-1 i'm glad i didnt buy the apex as it's so expensive. Btw are u comparing this to the amp section or the dac section of xp-1 and apex?

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #52 of 95
Quote:
if they're about the same clarity i've made the wrong choice :frowning2: i'm using it as a portable so i want something thinner so it's fit in my pocket. i was also interested in the apex but if sq is similar to xp-1 i'm glad i didnt buy the apex as it's so expensive. Btw are u comparing this to the amp section or the dac section of xp-1 and apex?

Haha. I don't have "golden ears" so please take what I write with a pinch of salt 
size]
 But to my ears, both the amps are very close. It is definitely not a day and night thing. Do note that while the XP-1 is thinner than the UHA-6S Mk2, the Leckerton is smaller and very comfortable to hold due to its rounded edges. The Apex is even thinner than the XP-1 but larger overall in size.

As for the Apex Glacier comparsion, I compared the sound quality coming out of the device attached to the S3. So I am comparing the dac and amp on both devices. I tried 3 different songs (all wav files) on both devices with similar loudness. One for the drums, one for the guitar and the last one for vocals. The differences is in the sound signature but both were about the same in SQ, to my ears.
I think there will always be better amps out there. We just have to learn to be contented or else......
size]

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #53 of 95
With regards to my earlier claim on the XP-1 unit hissing. The comparison I did was hearing my IEM plug in and out of the XP-1 unit itself.
When I do plug it in, I get an unpleasant pop as mentioned by others earlier. But I also hear a constant hissing right after the pop sound. I'm not sure if the unit i demo'ed is faulty or not. It's the demo unit I tried at jaben singapore. (I believe they have 2 units for demo there)

Feb 21, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #55 of 95
Quote:
Haha. I don't have "golden ears" so please take what I write with a pinch of salt 
size]
 But to my ears, both the amps are very close. It is definitely not a day and night thing. Do note that while the XP-1 is thinner than the UHA-6S Mk2, the Leckerton is smaller and very comfortable to hold due to its rounded edges. The Apex is even thinner than the XP-1 but larger overall in size.

As for the Apex Glacier comparsion, I compared the sound quality coming out of the device attached to the S3. So I am comparing the dac and amp on both devices. I tried 3 different songs (all wav files) on both devices with similar loudness. One for the drums, one for the guitar and the last one for vocals. The differences is in the sound signature but both were about the same in SQ, to my ears.
I think there will always be better amps out there. We just have to learn to be contented or else......
size]

sorry i forgot to ask what op-amp are u using with leckerton? i'm using 627 which is super smooth to my ears

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #60 of 95
guys do u recomend using this with the xperia z which i plan to use as my player with the heir audio 8.a .. do any of u guys r using it with ciems? how do u like it compared to some other units?
i am considering this as itll work well with a phone , rather then going with any other amp, need some info from people using it with their setups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back