Xduoo Amplifiers
Jul 23, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #1,382 of 1,985
Hi Guys,

Received my TA-26 a few hours ago. I let it on for a few minutes and immediately plugged in my HD6XX (couldn't wait anymore :smile:). Oh boy it was something I never heard of HD6XX sounding and I am loving it. This is my first OTL AMP.
I will give it some more time and let you know my impressions.
PSX_20220722_152810.jpg

Man it was terrible I heard LCD2C sounded out of any AMP I tested until now. LCD2C is a big NO with TA-26, there is hardly any bass and sound is too muffled, grainy and distorted.
Passion for sound on youtube measured the output impedance of TA-26 and it's 90ohms which not at all good news for low impedance headphones and especially planars with low sensitivity and low impedance.
If it's going to change after burn in or whatever I will let you know.
Great spasibo for answer 🙏🙋‍♂️
So what can you advice for TA26 with dark and maybe a little warm sound under 550$ ?

Jul 23, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #1,383 of 1,985
Great spasibo for answer 🙏🙋‍♂️
So what can you advice for TA26 with dark and maybe a little warm sound under 550$ ?
No problem :relaxed:.
You already have the beyers and HD600, I don't know any other headphone with high impedance in that price range that beats the warmth and smoothness of HD600/650/6XX especially on tubes.

Jul 23, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #1,384 of 1,985
No problem :relaxed:.
You already have the beyers and HD600, I don't know any other headphone with high impedance in that price range that beats the warmth and smoothness of HD600/650/6XX especially on tubes.
I have hd600 and thats my lovely ones with ta 26))
What about Sony mdr z7 and Neumann NDH 20 ??? Or maybe KLH Ultimate One?

Jul 23, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #1,385 of 1,985
I have hd600 and thats my lovely ones with ta 26))
What about Sony mdr z7 and Neumann NDH 20 ??? Or maybe KLH Ultimate One?
Never heard the Sony's. NDH 20s are very neutral and I read that they take tubes well but I never heard them on tubes, I liked them but they were uncomfortable for me. Not sure if KLH with 32 ohms impedance pairs well with TA-26.

Anyone else who heard them on TA-26 can chime in.

Jul 23, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #1,386 of 1,985
So anyway great thank you for impressions and advices🙋‍♂️

Jul 24, 2022 at 1:09 AM Post #1,387 of 1,985
Guys,

Is it a good idea to cool the AMP down with a portable fan or let it run hot for optimal performance?

I also run fans for any of my audio/visual gear, even in my dedicated HT room set-up (different brand and auto temp sensing but same deal)-(SS audio gear also gets hot in my set-up/s) when it gets a bit too warm, I use small 80mm remote speed controlled fans designed for A/V cooling type use on their lowest setting and share/limit power. Keeps them quiet as and is just a slight breeze/moving air for cooling. I don't have mine so close and more aimed at the transformer with slight tilt so air does flow towards tubes. Most of my gear is in tight compromised spaces with reduced normal air flow and I live in very hot country and it depends on tubes fitted as some do run fairly cool. If the gear (not actual tubes as they will run hotter obviously) is running below 40 Celsius it's fine, if hotter I assist cooling.

Pretty cheap also $20 for a 2 fans and controllers etc...
edit update to add link to fans I use for any interested
https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B082PXY572/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RCA sounds better?
Not for my ears, currently I'm much preferring the NOS BVA Brimar on the set-up I'm listening with... But each to their own, it's all good!

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2022 at 3:21 AM Post #1,388 of 1,985
I also run fans for any of my audio/visual gear, even in my dedicated HT room set-up (SS also gets hot in my set-up/s) when it gets a bit too warm, I use small 80mm remote speed controlled fans designed for A/V cooling type use on their lowest setting and share/limit power. Keeps them quiet as and is just a slight breeze/moving air for cooling. I don't have mine so close and more aimed at the transformer with slight tilt so air does flow towards tubes. Most of my gear is in tight compromised spaces with reduced normal air flow and I live in very hot country and it depends on tubes fitted as some do run fairly cool. If the gear (not actual tubes as they will run hotter obviously) is running below 40 Celsius it's fine, if hotter I assist cooling.

Pretty cheap also $20 for a 2 fans and controllers etc...
edit update to add link to fans I use for any interested
https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B082PXY572/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks.
I am also aiming the fan more towards the transformer. It's can get very hot in India as well especially during summer the temperature goes above 40°C. The fan I am using also comes with three speeds. I am using it at the lowest speed.

Jul 24, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #1,389 of 1,985
Guys,

Is it a good idea to cool the AMP down with a portable fan or let it run hot for optimal performance?

No, please don't cool tubes :)

The TA-26 amp/components are designed to take the fully loaded heat output, so there is no need to "cool" it.

In fact the whole point of the "heater" is to generate heat to an optimal temperature to get optimal characteristics out of the components. The stable temperature is where everything is designed to operate - component values and tuning derived from their combination at their stable temperature range - not cold, or cooled.

Using a "single-sided" cooler as in the photo might also create odd currents - one half of the tube is cooler/colder than the "hot" side, migration of heat from the hot side to the cool side, all kinds of weirdness.

Imagine cooling one side of a grill with a fan... gonna turn out some weird burgers and franks.

But, I also wouldn't run equipment stacked under the TA-26 with both powered up at the same time. The heat from the TA-26 is gonna "fry" components not designed to run that hot, and the TA-26 isn't going to need the added heat rising from the device below it.

Best to keep them apart by a couple of inches - side by side - with the TA-26 not too close to anything like monitors or disk drives. And I wouldn't want any device downwind from the TA-26 with the heat from the TA-26 blowing onto a device.

I let the heat rise on it's own, apart from each other.

But, if the heat from the TA-26 and other tube/hot components is filling the room with too much heat, you can make a hood + vent tube - with an exhaust fan at the exhaust end - to pull heat out of the room.

It is important to keep the Humans and Animals cool :)

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #1,390 of 1,985

The TA-26 amp/components are designed to take the fully loaded heat output, so there is no need to "cool" it.

In fact the whole point of the "heater" is to generate heat to an optimal temperature to get optimal characteristics out of the components. The stable temperature is where everything is designed to operate - component values and tuning derived from their combination at their stable temperature range - not cold, or cooled.
Sure, thanks.

Using a "single-sided" cooler as in the photo might also create odd currents - one half of the tube is cooler/colder than the "hot" side, migration of heat from the hot side to the cool side, all kinds of weirdness.

Imagine cooling one side of a grill with a fan... gonna turn out some weird burgers and franks.
Haha:smiley:I felt the same after a while and running the fan like this just to cool the DAC panel down.
PXL_20220724_103453375.jpg
Is it okay to run fan like this or avoid the fan and use the exhaust fan instead?

But, I also wouldn't run equipment stacked under the TA-26 with both powered up at the same time. The heat from the TA-26 is gonna "fry" components not designed to run that hot, and the TA-26 isn't going to need the added heat rising from the device below it.

Best to keep them apart by a couple of inches - side by side - with the TA-26 not too close to anything like monitors or disk drives. And I wouldn't want any device downwind from the TA-26 with the heat from the TA-26 blowing onto a device.
I got the idea to use the fan because it was heating up the top panel of the DAC.

But, if the heat from the TA-26 and other tube/hot components is filling the room with too much heat, you can make a hood + vent tube - with an exhaust fan at the exhaust end - to pull heat out of the room.

I will try to run an exhaust fan and keep the TA-26 separate from the DAC.

Jul 25, 2022 at 2:15 AM Post #1,391 of 1,985
xduoo ta 10r with goldplanar gl2000 modded . i tube rolled - i find the northern electric 12au7 tube really good along with th goldlion 12au7 . the psvane is not bad at all .

Jul 25, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #1,392 of 1,985

Thanks for the excellent responce, I had a small fan cooling mine and the vibration was affecting sound quality.
My only concern is the 12bh7 run hotter than the 12ua7, so I'm using tube risers that raise the tube enough that heat is outside of the unit.

The tube riser is an inexpensive and they make tube rolling easer. The only con is the tube protecters no longer fit.

@screwdriver my ta20 (used) had a set of northern electric 12au7 included. Considering there a newer product found the sound quilty is faily good, have to say was shocked at the price.
I no longer use 12au7 with the TA20 but think I’ll pop in the NE 12au7 and give them another listen.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #1,393 of 1,985
I also use a tube saver so that they don't heat up the inside unnecessarily and the beauty of the tube glows. This protector pad can be printed on a 3D printer.

Attachments

• 20220507_181158.jpg
    20220507_181158.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Aug 16, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #1,395 of 1,985
Depends if it is an active preamp stage, merely a passive volume control or even a straight bypass circuit. Does the level on the outputs vary with the volume control?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back