Xduoo Amplifiers
Jun 29, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #1,336 of 1,987
Anyone with both Xduoo TA26 and Little dot mkII ?
I'd like to know how TA26 stands against dot mkii.

@Wiljen Have you tested both?

Jun 29, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #1,337 of 1,987
Anyone with both Xduoo TA26 and Little dot mkII ?
I'd like to know how TA26 stands against dot mkii.

@Wiljen Have you tested both?
I do have both. Output power on the Ta26 is about double that of the Little Dot MkII so different target headphones I would think. The Ta-26 does well with Beyer 600 Ohms and the big Sennheisers (HD660, HD800) and gives a bit more headroom than the little dot does with the same.

The Little dot has less options in power tubes without needing adapters as the 6N6 isn't directly interchangable with much else without some form of adapter or rewire. The 6AK5 is common and cheap so that is a plus in favor of the little dot. Tubes for the Ta-26 are more plentiful (6SN7 driver, 6AS7 Power) but there are a ton of junk tubes out there, especially for the 6SN7 and good tubes are more expensive than those for the Little dot. Tube availability favors the Ta-26 but cost per tube favors the little dot.

I really like the Ta-26 and think it is better made than the little dot as the case is heavier and better finished, but it also uses pcb where the little dot still uses a lot of point to point wiring and is easier to modify if desired. It will all come down to what you intend to do with it. If you like to tinker and change caps and rewire sockets etc the little dot will be easier to work with. If you want to tube roll it but not change internals, the Ta-26 has a wider range of options, and if you just want to use it and never tinker at all, the Ta-26 has more output power but also a bit higher initial cost and a bit more up keep cost when it comes time to replace tubes.

Hope that helps.

Jun 29, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #1,338 of 1,987
@Wiljen

Thank you!

From what you told me, mkII seems to be a good starting point to (non-hybrid) tube amps. Is it enough to get a true taste of how tube amps can sound?

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #1,339 of 1,987
@Wiljen

Thank you!

From what you told me, mkII seems to be a good starting point to (non-hybrid) tube amps. Is it enough to get a true taste of how tube amps can sound?

The little dot is good for getting started and there are enough tube options for the 6J1 (which translates to the 6AK5 or 5654 in US tube designations) that you can get an idea what tube rolling is all about. I'd leave the power tubes alone and try 3 or 4 different pairs of 6AK5s in the front two sockets. Personal choices would be a Raytheon 6AK5, a Western Electric 403b, and a GE 6096 pair. Changing out the front two tubes (the drivers) will make the most difference to the sound and there is considerably more variety available than for the rear two 6NP power tubes and any change made to the front two is then magnified as it passed the rear tubes. You will want a high impedance headphone to test with. I'd see about finding an early AKG 240 or a Beyerdynamic DT990 (either in 600 Ohm form) or a HD6xx, 660, or 800 in the Sennheiser line.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #1,340 of 1,987
The little dot is good for getting started and there are enough tube options for the 6J1 (which translates to the 6AK5 or 5654 in US tube designations) that you can get an idea what tube rolling is all about. I'd leave the power tubes alone and try 3 or 4 different pairs of 6AK5s in the front two sockets. Personal choices would be a Raytheon 6AK5, a Western Electric 403b, and a GE 6096 pair. Changing out the front two tubes (the drivers) will make the most difference to the sound and their is considerably more variety available than for the rear two 6NP power tubes and any change made to the front two is then magnified as it passed the rear tubes. You will want a high impedance headphone to test with. I'd see about finding an early AKG 240 or a Beyerdynamic DT990 (either in 600 Ohm form) or a HD6xx, 660, or 800 in the Sennheiser line.

Thank you again!

I will try to get a mkII first since I can get it at half the price of TA26. I already have some high impedance cans as a dt990 250 and a hd6xx, and even some earbuds with impedances from 150 to 600 Ohm. I'd like to hear how they sound once paired with an OTL tube amp.

I do appreciate your responses. They are a valuable guide for dudes who are interrested in TA26 or Little dot mkII.

Jul 2, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #1,341 of 1,987
Hi guys!:)
I want to buy some new headphones - which of this would be better for TA 26 :

Audeze LCD - 2 Classic

or

Monolith by Monoprice M1570

Jul 2, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #1,342 of 1,987
Hi guys!:)
I want to buy some new headphones - which of this would be better for TA 26 :

Audeze LCD - 2 Classic

or

Monolith by Monoprice M1570
I'd go with the LCD-2 Classic - a bit easier to drive (higher sensitivity) and a bit better pairing with the Ta-26 to my ear.

Jul 3, 2022 at 4:41 AM Post #1,343 of 1,987
I'd go with the LCD-2 Classic - a bit easier to drive (higher sensitivity) and a bit better pairing with the Ta-26 to my ear.
Great thanx for answer
In your opinion what version of LCD 2 would be better - open or closed back ?(for rock/metal music - i like warm and dark sound)

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #1,344 of 1,987
I have a TA-26 on order from Shenzhen Audio. Hopefully it will ship early next week. I was disappointed that I had to pay an extra delivery fee (to the UK) because of the weight of the TA-26 but it was on sale and I should get it in my hands quicker so fair enough. I'm really looking forward to hearing it and trying it out as s pre-amp into some 50 year old Wharfedale Linton speakers 🥰

Jul 3, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #1,345 of 1,987
Great thanx for answer
In your opinion what version of LCD 2 would be better - open or closed back ?(for rock/metal music - i like warm and dark sound)
Warm and Dark would be more the territory of the closed back although neither is really very warm or dark. My preference is for the open-back with its better imaging and stage.

Jul 3, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #1,346 of 1,987
Warm and Dark would be more the territory of the closed back although neither is really very warm or dark. My preference is for the open-back with its better imaging and stage.
But i think that it would be warm and dark with ta 26 (like it was with my hd 600 - it has perfect and warm sound with it instead of solid state amps)

Jul 5, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #1,347 of 1,987
I forgot to ask: does anybody have suggestions for a reasonably priced DAC to pair with the TA-26. I'd be looking for one that has optical-in.

I have the JDS Labs Atom DAC+ or SMSL Sanskrit pencilled in as possibilities (expecting the Atom DAC+ to be pretty clean and the Sanskrit to be on the smoother side).

Jul 5, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #1,348 of 1,987
I forgot to ask: does anybody have suggestions for a reasonably priced DAC to pair with the TA-26. I'd be looking for one that has optical-in.

I have the JDS Labs Atom DAC+ or SMSL Sanskrit pencilled in as possibilities (expecting the Atom DAC+ to be pretty clean and the Sanskrit to be on the smoother side).
I like the Atom+ in that role.

Jul 5, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #1,349 of 1,987

Is the TeraDak Chameleon still available?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back