Xduoo Amplifiers
Nov 17, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #781 of 1,985
Hi Folks,
has anybody heard the Xduoo TA-10R with the Hifiman Sundara? Would it be a good match?
Currently I'm using a JDS Atom stack as dac amp for my Sundara 2020, I mostly like it, but I'm looking for a little bit warmer sound signature. It would be nice to get a little bit more slam when i listening tracks with drums like instruments.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #782 of 1,985
For 'meaty' full bodied sound, I would try new production Sovteks, Tungsol, or even the Gold Lions. I am lately prefering reasonably priced new production, after getting a little jaded in regards to NOS tubes that were lauded online, and then finding that NOS RCA, Sylvania JAN tubes to be underwhelming.

Nov 17, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #783 of 1,985
For 'meaty' full bodied sound, I would try new production Sovteks, Tungsol, or even the Gold Lions. I am lately prefering reasonably priced new production, after getting a little jaded in regards to NOS tubes that were lauded online, and then finding that NOS RCA, Sylvania JAN tubes to be underwhelming.
Yup, I too went through a downturn when I was disappointed with the RCA Clear Top, RCA Long Black Plate, and some JAN offerings I found all "ho-hum" in a continuous stretch of them, but still they were doing a better job than some, just not top level "wow" material, that is why I don't recommend them in general.

There are specific Sylvania tubes I like, again not top sound, but elevated above most, like the 6201 tubes, even GE 6201's , where I don't usually recommend GE tubes at all, there are some specific models that do stand out.

I actually thought the same as I realized there are too many tubes out there and they all cost $$, I can only audition so many before I am gonna give up, and then I got the Tung-Sol 12AU7 Black Glass pair with 100% Life left, and then found another 2 pair in the same condition, and for a while that was my "find" and joy. :)

Whatever keeps you going, researching for tubes you might like, and hunting them down, finally finding a worthy pair, it's a fun and not too expensive way to while away the pandemic, at least for me...

Again, I want to emphasize that NOS is not considered "New/Unused" as the name New Old Stock implies. I've gotten to know a number of dealers and a few have told me that NOS is considered "measures NOS", but is a range that includes clearly "Used tubes". And, I also found that tubes starting at 95% life left as measured with a calibrated tube tester, is the point tubes start HISSing while listening with IEMs.

So I now specifically only buy "New" tubes that actually measure at the top of the specific tube measurement chart. There are enough great tubes out there still that you don't have to settle for "used" tubes.

I'd recommend to hang in there, enjoy the new reissues - they are also good tubes - but if you find a pair with potential, get it and give it a try, you might find a gem in amongst the dross. :)

Update: here is a long time NOS dealer - Brent Jesse, he has a lot of great listings with descriptions to pick up on details for tubes when hunting - I use his listings as a reference from time to time, and he has a lot of detailed entries for tubes not currently in stock I find interesting, but most of the ones I want from his inventory that are in stock are far too expensive for me to spend, so I just look and find inexpensive tubes elsewhere... his inventory does turn over quickly, so checking daily is a good idea if you are looking for specific tubes - try emailing him with questions too, he is a great guy and I enjoyed purchasing from him. :)
http://www.audiotubes.com/12au7.htm
http://www.audiotubes.com/12at7.htm

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #785 of 1,985
does anybody have a picture of the TA-26's power transformer?

I am wondering what type they are using and how big.
Not sure, but I don't think I've seen anything but the bottom of the Xduoo Hybrid Headphone amp transformers - wires coming out into the chassis - and I think those are likely sealed/potted during assembly. I've knocked on the top of my transformer box on top of the TA-20 and it doesn't ring it thumps solidly - like it's filled with potting material.

Has anyone taken their Xduoo Hybrid apart to see from the bottom where the wires from the transformer come in if they are coming out of a solid block?

It is common practice to pot transformers to stop vibrations being transferred into the chassis causing audible noise and component vibration issues.

Nov 22, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #787 of 1,985
Curious what made you ditch the A90 and listen exclusively with your TA-20. May i know what headphones you use these with mostly? Looking to get a TA-20 as well soon.
It actually happened pretty quickly, right after I received the TA-20 I popped out the stock tubes and put in PSVANE 12AU7-T MkII's, and from then on I pretty much only used the TA-20. I did try to keep using my A90, but now it only gets a little "on time" when I need to change tubes - while I wait for them to cool down, and I want to listen - then when the tubes are swapped I switch back from the A90 to the TA-20.

Also, when I need to "warm up" the TA-20+E80CC tubes during cold weather I'll also let the A90 run for a while, then when the E80CC tubes are running stable with no "Protect" standby - the E80CC tubes are warm enough to run, I'll switch back to the TA-20 and turn off the A90.

So, my A90 is still pretty much an invaluable part of my audio set up. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #788 of 1,985
It actually happened pretty quickly, right after I received the TA-20 I popped out the stock tubes and put in PSVANE 12AU7-T MkII's, and from then on I pretty much only used the TA-20. I did try to keep using my A90, but now it only gets a little "on time" when I need to change tubes and I want to listen - then when the tubes are swapped I switch back from the A90 to the TA-20.

Also, when I need to "warm up" the TA-20+E80CC tubes during cold weather I'll also let the A90 run for a while, then when the E80CC tubes are running stable with no "Protect" standby - the E80CC tubes are warm enough to run, I'll switch back to the TA-20 and turn off the A90.

So, my A90 is still pretty much an invaluable part of my audio set up. :ksc75smile:
I see ! Thanks for sharing!

Nov 23, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #789 of 1,985
Also posted the MT-601 and 602 tube rolling articles to my blog for those interested :wink:
Hello Wiljen, I saw a photo of MT-601 circuit board in your review on audiofool.reviews, it is very similar to the fissure next with a tube connector (see the attached photo). It arose when you tried to replace the tube?

Attachments

• Xduoo-MT-601-bottom-scaled_a.jpg
    Xduoo-MT-601-bottom-scaled_a.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 0
Nov 23, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #790 of 1,985
Hello Wiljen, I saw a photo of MT-601 circuit board in your review on audiofool.reviews, it is very similar to the fissure next with a tube connector (see the attached photo). It arose when you tried to replace the tube?
Honestly, I sent the 601 out to Josh Trienen sp? to have a look at a couple months back now and he's run into some other issues so I have not received it back to look at. I don't recall any issues with trading tubes on that board but with no central support I can see how repeatedly trading tubes would cause flex in the pcb and might eventually lead to a problem. If/when it returns, I'll take another couple photos and see if it has worsened.

Nov 23, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #791 of 1,985
tubemazestore on ebay is having a 15% off Thanksgiving sale - through Dec 1, 2021

I really enjoy the '58 Quad Mullard's I bought:

RARE Matched Quad NOS/NIB GEC/Mullard B309/M8162/CV4024/12AT7WA/ECC81 tubes 1958
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174432228156

Also available as a pair:

RARE Matched Pair NOS/NIB GEC/Mullard B309/M8162/CV4024/12AT7WA/ECC81 tubes 1958
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174474431717

and tubemazestore recommends the '68's as having a lower noise floor.:

RARE Matched Quad Mullard NOS/NIB M8162/ECC81/12AT7 Dual getter support tubes
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174841732527

Also available as a pair:

RARE Matched Pair Mullard NOS/NIB M8162/ECC81/12AT7 Dual getter support tubes
https://www.ebay.com/itm/203136271616

He has several pages of tubes at 15% off...
https://www.ebay.com/sme/tubemazest...ent&_soffid=8324385403&_trksid=p2047675.m2197

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #792 of 1,985
Hi guys. I am pretty new to the scene here, and so far i daily a pair of Hifiman Sundaras that are driven by a ADI-2 dac through a Little-Dot 1+. I am quite happy with that setup, but i i have ordered a xDuoo TA-20, which is on the way :)
My question to the gurus in here though; I have rolled both tubes and op-amps on my LD 1+, with good results. And i was wondering if there is any reason to change opamps in the TA-20, and if so; what are the alternatives to its pair of Ti OPA926 or the Ti OPA1612?

Best regards
-Pete

Nov 29, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #795 of 1,985
It actually happened pretty quickly, right after I received the TA-20 I popped out the stock tubes and put in PSVANE 12AU7-T MkII's, and from then on I pretty much only used the TA-20. I did try to keep using my A90, but now it only gets a little "on time" when I need to change tubes - while I wait for them to cool down, and I want to listen - then when the tubes are swapped I switch back from the A90 to the TA-20.

I also had the a90 then I sold it and I got the TA-20 I'm very satisfied, I installed some G.E. 5814 with five green stars and the TA-20 sounds great.
Get to know the G.E. 5814a?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back