xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Jan 10, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #3,226 of 3,834
Thank you for the response. Are you also aware how Gryphone would sound with Mest Indigo, I'm mostly worried about the background hiss so unable to decide.I'm hesitant to spend that much on RS6 until it is a huge difference in sound quality, positively.
Have not heard the Indigo. All I can say is that both the EF400 and Mojo 2 were completely silent with my IEMs but Gryphon had some hiss when using the Balanced Out.

On the other hand, because of how powerful the EF400 is, you don't get a lot of volume range with the EF400 when using IEMs. It gets too loud at ~9 O Clock on volume pot and there is some channel imbalance below 7:30. You can get a budget but good external Amp like Zen CAN to use with IEMs but that's an extra expense.

I am going to get the RS2 soon (1-2 weeks) if you are "ok" with waiting. I can let you know how it sounds in comparision to Gryphon and Mojo 2.

Jan 10, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #3,227 of 3,834
Vision Ears EXT
  • Driver count: One 9.2mm dynamic driver, one 6.2mm dynamic driver and four electrostatic drivers.
  • Impedance: 10Ω @ 1kHz.
  • Sensitivity: 108.5dB @ 1kHz @ 1mW.
I have the VE Ext too and the Go Blu. The Go Blu hisses with sensitive IEMs like the Shure SE846 (have that too) but zero hiss with the VE Ext on both 3.5mm and 4.4mm.

I had a Gryphon once shortly for less than a week. Also zero hiss with the Ext. Pairs quite well together, really brings out the slam in those dynamic drivers. It had a weird problem that it would shutdown automatically every 20 minutes or so when connected to the PC even when sound is playing that’s why I returned it.

Jan 10, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #3,228 of 3,834
Have not heard the Indigo. All I can say is that both the EF400 and Mojo 2 were completely silent with my IEMs but Gryphon had some hiss when using the Balanced Out.

On the other hand, because of how powerful the EF400 is, you don't get a lot of volume range with the EF400 when using IEMs. It gets too loud at ~9 O Clock on volume pot and there is some channel imbalance below 7:30. You can get a budget but good external Amp like Zen CAN to use with IEMs but that's an extra expense.

I am going to get the RS2 soon (1-2 weeks) if you are "ok" with waiting. I can let you know how it sounds in comparision to Gryphon and Mojo 2.
Thank you. I'm absolutely fine waiting till Feb as I plan to buy portable DAC in Feb only. EF400, I'll use only with Arya v3 not with my IEMs. I'll wait for your updates on RS2 ...

Jan 10, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #3,229 of 3,834
Hi cross post from IDSD SIGNATURE thread and turned out that Signature isn't suitable for IEMs without IEMATCH.
Same story for Gryphon and Go Bar?

Hi chaps
I am still looking for some bedside rig to be paired with my Denon AH-D9200 and VE EXT.
Diablo was sounding super but actually hardly usable without digital headroom in Roon or IEMATCH which I don't want to use.
The Ifi headphone calculator is actually showing any! IFI device to be unsuitable without IEMATCH.
What are your guys ecperiences using non sensitive IEMs like my VE EXT respectively sensitive DD Overear with 23 Ohms using IDSD SIGNATURE economy mode without IEMATCH or some Gryphon for example.
Is it usable without channel imbalance?
Thx!

Just my 2 cents.

The most sensitive IEMs I own are LZ A7.

They hiss strongly with GO-BLU.

They hiss a bit with GOLD-BAR (I use IEMATCH).

They not hiss with Gryphon.

They not hiss with iDSD Signature (I use IEMATCH only to be able to push the volume up)

My ear does not hear SQ degradation with IEMATCH.

I slightly prefer the sound of GOLD-BAR over the Gryphon.

Jan 10, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #3,230 of 3,834
The most sensitive IEMs I own are LZ A7.

They not hiss with Gryphon.

15 ohm and 108db are very similar to my ME700 and they are a tribrid with sensitive BA and piezos so generally similar to the DD and BA hybrid configuration of the ME700.

How fussy are you to hiss ?

I don't mean that my ME700 hiss loudly but they do hiss audibly in a very quiet room. I can't hear it during music and I can't hear it of there is a bit of background noise with no music playing but there is a noise floor for certain.

I am not trying to prove myself correct, it doesn't matter to me, I am just trying to get proper context for FooFighter so he knows what he is dealing with if considering the Gryphon as an alternative to current equipment and this is a critical part of the decision making process since IEMatch is off the table for him.

I have the VE Ext too and the Go Blu. The Go Blu hisses with sensitive IEMs like the Shure SE846 (have that too) but zero hiss with the VE Ext on both 3.5mm and 4.4mm.

I had a Gryphon once shortly for less than a week. Also zero hiss with the Ext.

How fussy with listening for hiss were you with the Gryphon ? Again, on paper, I would have expected that there would be some hiss with those based on sensitivity specs versus my ME700 which do hiss very slightly. Again, I am not trying to be right but I would hate to see FooFighter get a Gryphon and hear noise floor if he is perhaps more fussy than others.

Jan 10, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #3,231 of 3,834
Don't worry guys, am very happy and thankful for your considerations!

Jan 10, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #3,232 of 3,834
15 ohm and 108db are very similar to my ME700 and they are a tribrid with sensitive BA and piezos so generally similar to the DD and BA hybrid configuration of the ME700.

I don't mean that my ME700 hiss loudly but they do hiss audibly in a very quiet room. I can't hear it during music and I can't hear it of there is a bit of background noise with no music playing but there is a noise floor for certain.

I am not trying to prove myself correct, it doesn't matter to me, I am just trying to get proper context for FooFighter so he knows what he is dealing with if considering the Gryphon as an alternative to current equipment and this is a critical part of the decision making process since IEMatch is off the table for him.

not particularly fussy.
When I say I hear hiss, I mean a really pronounced hiss. (so mine is not a sophisticated opinion)

If you claim to hear the hiss with the Gryphon, I believe you.
That's certainly a more refined opinion than mine.

Jan 10, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #3,233 of 3,834
not particularly fussy.
When I say I hear hiss, I mean a really pronounced hiss. (so mine is not a sophisticated opinion)

If you claim to hear the hiss with the Gryphon, I believe you.
That's certainly a more refined opinion than mine.

Cheers mate, I wouldn't consider my opinion in any way refined, just trying to ensure proper context is available and it looks like Mr Foo Fighter is happy which was the main point of the discussion.

Jan 10, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #3,234 of 3,834

How fussy with listening for hiss were you with the Gryphon ? Again, on paper, I would have expected that there would be some hiss with those based on sensitivity specs versus my ME700 which do hiss very slightly. Again, I am not trying to be right but I would hate to see FooFighter get a Gryphon and hear noise floor if he is perhaps more fussy than others.
If you search the Go Blu thread you’ll find that I’m one of the first who complained about hiss. So yea I’m quite fussy about it and like I said I have VE Ext and I’ve tried it with the Gryphon, it has zero hiss. End of discussion :wink:

Also it’s not only about sensitivity and numbers. There are other factors too. You can’t compare the VE Ext and its drivers, quality, the stock cable etc. with the Shanling. One is a TOTL IEM made in Germany, the other is a mid-tier chi-fi IEM. No offence.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #3,235 of 3,834
If you search the Go Blu thread you’ll find that I’m one of the first who complained about hiss. So yea I’m quite fussy about it and like I said I have VE Ext and I’ve tried it with the Gryphon, it has zero hiss. End of discussion :wink:

Also it’s not only about sensitivity and numbers. There are other factors too. You can’t compare the VE Ext and its drivers, quality, the stock cable etc. with the Shanling. One is a TOTL IEM made in Germany, the other is a mid-tier chi-fi IEM. No offence.

No offence taken, I am very happy with my mid tier chifi IEM and have no interest in spending $3K on an IEM.

I would argue hearing the noise floor is only about sensitivity, no IEM can bypass electrical theory.

If I hear hiss with at 106 db/mw and you don’t at 108 db/mw there is something else going on that has nothing to do with your IEM being TOTL, German and stupid expensive, no offence.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2023 at 3:29 AM Post #3,237 of 3,834
LHDC isn't working for me with Gryphon, does anyone have any tips to get it working?

It works fine from my M11 Plus.

It displays as HWA which is I believe the company name.

46C3C09C-97F2-4251-A5A6-ECCA78B6EADE.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #3,239 of 3,834
Thanks for the replies. I'm using an Oppo phone that supports LHDC with an Oppo wireless IEM that I own but not with the Gryphon, I will check the GAIA app but I didn't change the defaults so if its enabled by default then it should be good.

Edit:
I disabled all the CODEC's except LHDC and I get an SBC connection now. I just noticed there is an Android 13 update for the phone I will update and see if that makes a difference.

Another Edit:
Android 13 on this phone made no difference, its still not possible to connect using LHDC, I also updated to BT F/W version 2.16, oh well I will stick with one of the other CODEC's.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back