xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
May 7, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #2,086 of 3,834
May 7, 2022 at 5:15 AM Post #2,087 of 3,834
Then it's another problem that I'm encountering and it's starting to become really annoying: when playing MQA, the device randomly switches from MQA to PCM back and forth, creating droputs in the audio stream. I am using the last firmware version, last drivers. Happens only on MQA. Has anyone else experienced this issue ?
I'm pretty sure it's not my Internet connection, as I am using a desktop computer wired to 1Gbps connection.

Yes, encounter the same drop outs. But only happens when I quickly go through tracks (like I'm looking for a specific song, don't like the current one and I quickly switch to the next track). Didn't really bothered me as I believe it has something to do with the MQA unfolding process.

May 7, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #2,089 of 3,834
To me it happens when I listen to a track beginning to end as well. If it was to be only when quickly going through them it would not bother me this much.

I see. I don't experience drop out at the end of tracks. Weirdly enough, this only happens when it's connected to my phone. On my PC (Win 10), I don't have this issue. 1.45 firmware, latest USB drivers.

My only issue with the Gryphon is when it's connected to my PC and I'm using Tidal. Sometimes when I change tracks it will blast the volume up (Discussed it previously a few pages back).

May 7, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #2,090 of 3,834
It's not at the end of tracks. Rather I have dropouts every 10 seconds or so while the track is playing (at the moment of dropout the display lights up and changes from MQA to PCM then back to MQA). This is happening when using Tidal Masters (Exclusive Mode, Force volume and Passthrough MQA all enabled).

EDIT: Changing the Default Format to 32bit, 384kHz in Control Panel settings does seem to help in regard to these droputs. Not 100% sure if it solves the problem, but it appears to at first glance.

The blasting of volume to maximum is clearly related to Exclusive Mode. When switching to a source that is not using this mode to Tidal Exclusive Mode it blasts the volume. This problem may be related to Volume Sync enabled/disabled.
I just did a Factory Reset on my device and it blasted the volume once after the reset, then it works just fine without a problem. Was working fine before the reset, it was done in regard to that MQA issue.

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #2,091 of 3,834
It's not at the end of tracks. Rather I have dropouts every 10 seconds or so while the track is playing (at the moment of dropout the display lights up and changes from MQA to PCM then back to MQA). This is happening when using Tidal Masters (Exclusive Mode, Force volume and Passthrough MQA all enabled).

EDIT: Changing the Default Format to 32bit, 384kHz in Control Panel settings does seem to help in regard to these droputs. Not 100% sure if it solves the problem, but it appears to at first glance.

The blasting of volume to maximum is clearly related to Exclusive Mode. When switching to a source that is not using this mode to Tidal Exclusive Mode it blasts the volume.

Oh I see! That would make the Gryphon useless in your case! Very irritating indeed! Have you tried hard-resetting the Gryphon?

In my case, I also have all 3 enabled (Exclusive Mode, Force Volume and Passthrough MQA) - it has nothing to do with Exclusive Mode - try disabling "Loudness normalization" under Settings - that's solved my issue. BUT I still have this fear that it would still blast the volume, got paranoid about this even though I have already solved it. So I only use IEMs that I don't mind being blown out when I have my Gryphon connected to my PC.

May 7, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #2,092 of 3,834
I edited my post, but likely did not notice the post below. The MQA issue seems to be solved by changing the Default Format in Windows to 32bit, 384kHz.
I did hard reset it before this, did not help at all.

As for loudness normalization, that was disabled a long time ago as it's a feature I don't want anyway. Then this explains why I did not have this problem.
EDIT: I just experienced the volume jump to maximum, despite the loudnes normalization is OFF.

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #2,093 of 3,834
I edited my post, but likely did not notice the post below. The MQA issue seems to be solved by changing the Default Format in Windows to 32bit, 384kHz.
I did hard reset it before this, did not help at all.

As for loudness normalization, that was disabled a long time ago as it's a feature I don't want anyway. Then this explains why I did not have this problem.

Here's to us continuing to enjoy our music - skip free and no sudden volume blasting incidents! :beerchug:

May 9, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #2,096 of 3,834
For everyone having dropouts when connected to PC, are you by chance using an USB-C port ? This can happen !

If that is the case switching to a normal USB 3 port should solve the issue.

If you are using a normal USB 3 port, still check that the port is provided by the CPU and not the Chipset. In other words try a different port. The one driven by the CPU is usually the most stable one.

Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #2,098 of 3,834
The one driven by the CPU is usually the most stable one.
Good point ! I did check on my PC and only 4 of the back USB ports are driven by CPU (and Gryphon is not connected to any of those), all the rest go through the chipset.
And yes, at the point I was writing about the MQA dropouts, the device was connected to the USB-C port in the back (and still is).
I want to confirm these dropouts have disappeared when Deafult Mode is set to 32bit, 384kHz.
May change the port at a later date, for me the actual one seems to work just fine and the rest are already full anyway, I need to reconfigure them to do this.

The dropouts only appeared on Tidal Masters (MQA) and nothing else: any other audio streamed from the Internet, local files, games would all play just fine.

I also have an update about the volume jump: the problem goes away when Volume Sync is set of to OFF in device's menu. It is set to on after a Factory Reset or
firmware update, so pay attention. This was also the problem in older firmware versions, as this setting did not exist in the menu and was always on.

From an audio quality point of view, syncing the volume with the device doesn't help, cause you will loose resolution if the digital volume is not at 100%.
So what I do is use the volume on the Gryphon (which controls an internal analog attenuator) and keep the source at 100% anyway.

Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 2:51 AM Post #2,099 of 3,834
Hi ! Just got my Gryphon yesterday and it sounds great out of the box with my gear.

But I would like to know more how to get it to be in desktop mode with battery charging to only 70% to maintain battery health.

Are the following steps correct (Assume battery power is already below 70% ) ?

1. Turn on Unit
2. Plug single wire for USB Data and Power .

Or.
1. Turn on Unit,
2. Plug in Wire for USB Data ( Power is off in the menu )
3. Plug another wire for 5V Power into the other USB Charging only port ?

May 10, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #2,100 of 3,834
Currently considering iFi Gryphon vs. iFi iDSD Signature.

Caveat — I don’t actually plan on using Bluetooth much, if at all.

Plan on driving HE1000, and using it either at desktop with my laptop, or as a “sandwich” with my iPhone.

Could anyone who owns/or had experience with both share any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back