xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Mar 21, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #1,831 of 3,834
I have the latest Tidal version installed from the Microsoft Store.

@iFi audio @Sebastien Chiu

Any thoughts?

Oh and another question, volume synchronization seems to work "one way" for Android 12. If I change volume on the smartphone, Gryphon will sync and follow the volume change. But if I change volume on the Gryphon, the smartphone volume doesn't move at all. Is it suppose to be this way? Seems odd.

Mar 21, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #1,832 of 3,834
I have the latest Tidal version installed from the Microsoft Store.

@iFi audio @Sebastien Chiu

Any thoughts?

Oh and another question, volume synchronization seems to work "one way" for Android 12. If I change volume on the smartphone, Gryphon will sync and follow the volume change. But if I change volume on the Gryphon, the smartphone volume doesn't move at all. Is it suppose to be this way? Seems odd.
For me it works both ways

Mar 21, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #1,833 of 3,834
I believe I figured out the issue - under App settings: "Loudness normalization" - I changed it to OFF. So now it doesn't jump volumes when I change tracks. :thumbsup:

Now I can go back into Sound Output settings and change "Force Volume" - to ON ("ON" on all 3, just like it should)

Mar 21, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #1,834 of 3,834
Bear with on this as I don't have the same gears as you have but I were in your shoes a few weeks back. I'm lucky enough to audition both units to my heart's content. I used an EE ESR MK2 to audition both. I don't own a Monarch nor have I auditioned it.

Both units will do DAC/Amp functions for your PC/Android phone. If you're huge on Tidal and you want full MQA decoder then +1 with the Gryphon. MQA on the Mojo 2? Mojo 2 answers - what's that?

If you want to play around with EQ, +1 for the Mojo 2 as it has full EQ function (although you might be confused with the instructions). EQ on the Gryphon is practically non-existent - does this bother me - no since I don't play around with EQ.

My ESR MK2 hisses by just a tad on my Gryphon, does that bother me - no. Because I can't hear the hiss when I'm already playing music, So I never enable IEMatch - athough it's good that I have it now should my preferrence change in the future.

I used to own a Mojo (1st) and a DX50. The Mojo does have a "Line-in" function - you just use the Coaxial input which the DX90 has - a Coax out.
IMG_1549.JPG

I just got back to the hobby after 3-4 years of hiatus. So my previous DAC/Amp left was a Centrance Mini-M8.

What did I purchase - the Gryphon. Why, because of it's versatility, how good it pairs to my new gears and great aftersales feedback. It has Balanced which majorty of my gears have balanced plugs. It has Bluetooth, if I feel like going wireless, I have that capability. Wireless on a Mojo 2 - then you still need to purchase the expensive Poly.
IMG_20220312_182455.jpg

Hope this helps your decision making :)
So agree with what u say here.

Mar 21, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #1,835 of 3,834
Bear with on this as I don't have the same gears as you have but I were in your shoes a few weeks back. I'm lucky enough to audition both units to my heart's content. I used an EE ESR MK2 to audition both. I don't own a Monarch nor have I auditioned it.

Both units will do DAC/Amp functions for your PC/Android phone. If you're huge on Tidal and you want full MQA decoder then +1 with the Gryphon. MQA on the Mojo 2? Mojo 2 answers - what's that?

If you want to play around with EQ, +1 for the Mojo 2 as it has full EQ function (although you might be confused with the instructions). EQ on the Gryphon is practically non-existent - does this bother me - no since I don't play around with EQ.

My ESR MK2 hisses by just a tad on my Gryphon, does that bother me - no. Because I can't hear the hiss when I'm already playing music, So I never enable IEMatch - athough it's good that I have it now should my preferrence change in the future.

I used to own a Mojo (1st) and a DX50. The Mojo does have a "Line-in" function - you just use the Coaxial input which the DX90 has - a Coax out.
IMG_1549.JPG

I just got back to the hobby after 3-4 years of hiatus. So my previous DAC/Amp left was a Centrance Mini-M8.

What did I purchase - the Gryphon. Why, because of it's versatility, how good it pairs to my new gears and great aftersales feedback. It has Balanced which majorty of my gears have balanced plugs. It has Bluetooth, if I feel like going wireless, I have that capability. Wireless on a Mojo 2 - then you still need to purchase the expensive Poly.
IMG_20220312_182455.jpg

What can you say about sound signature of both devices? Are they similar? Does any of them have more natural, analog and engaging sound than another one?

Mar 21, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #1,836 of 3,834

IMG_1549.JPG

IMG_20220312_182455.jpg

How much difference have you noticed between new and old gear about sound quality?
After some days using the Gryphon, you'd buy it again?

Thanks!

Mar 21, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #1,838 of 3,834
What can you say about sound signature of both devices? Are they similar? Does any of them have more natural, analog and engaging sound than another one?

To my ears, they are not that similar. I didn't find both analog sounding. I would say both are engaging but the Gryphon sounds more musical. Listening to the Mojo 2 reminded me why I sold my Mojo - it's engaging yes but sounds too analytical for me. I just don't "feel" the music. Even if you read/view some of the Mojo 2 reviews, it's more on the analytical side. Natural sounding will go to Gryphon as well. Again, to my ears so please take with a grain of salt.

How much difference have you noticed between new and old gear about sound quality?
After some days using the Gryphon, you'd buy it again?

Thanks!

Oh a HUGE difference! I kept telling the shop attendant how old my gears are. I was used to the Mini-M8 for a long time. To my ears, you can hear the difference in backgroud - how dark the Gryphon and the level of presentation is much more engaging - but then again, 2 different signatures here - but my other IEMs can also agree to this

If my requirements doesn't change, yes, I wholeheartedly recommend the Gryphon.

We like that too :wink:
Great stuff @karloil, thank you :beerchug:

Thanks! If you can also look into my other issue of volume sync on Android 12 please, would appreciate it!

Mar 22, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #1,839 of 3,834
Thanks! If you can also look into my other issue of volume sync on Android 12 please, would appreciate it!

Do you mean this?

If I change volume on the smartphone, Gryphon will sync and follow the volume change. But if I change volume on the Gryphon, the smartphone volume doesn't move at all. Is it suppose to be this way? Seems odd.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 22, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #1,841 of 3,834
If I change volume on the smartphone, Gryphon will sync and follow the volume change. But if I change volume on the Gryphon, the smartphone volume doesn't move at all. Is it suppose to be this way? Seems odd.

I'd have to double-check, but this is how it should be as far as I know. Gryphon's FW was designed to track volume changes within Android, but that OS would have to also track what xDSD Gryphon does and that's beyond our control I believe. Unless I missing something, @Sebastien Chiu, do you have any info on the subject?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 22, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #1,842 of 3,834
I've just placed the order, can't wait to test it with Tidal and the Thieaudio Monarch :)

Mar 22, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #1,843 of 3,834
Just wanted to say I’m really enjoying my Mojo 2 ONLY combined with the Gryphon! xBass from the Gryphon and iSilencer control the bass so well it’s unreal. I’m using it with my Monarch MKII. Mojo 2 would be somewhat boring without the Gryphon. Lovin it! :)

Mar 22, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #1,844 of 3,834
Just wanted to say I’m really enjoying my Mojo 2 ONLY combined with the Gryphon! xBass from the Gryphon and iSilencer control the bass so well it’s unreal. I’m using it with my Monarch MKII. Mojo 2 would be somewhat boring without the Gryphon. Lovin it! :)

Why choose one when you can have both!

Mar 22, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #1,845 of 3,834
Hello, I am interested in what you say. Why do you think it is like that? Does it have to do with the neutral character of the Monarch MKII, maybe? I am asking, because I am planning to purchase the Monarch MKII, as well.

I recently bought the Mojo 2 and I am currently using it with my 7Hz Timeless, stock cable, no EQ, no Crossfeed. I'm listening to Amazon Music Unlimited, Qobuz, YouTube and a few of my FlACs. It sounds amazing to me!

Just asking because one more person has said to me that the Monarch MKII sound way too boring... Besides the cost, it will take them 4 - 6 weeks to arrive to me, after ordering them, so I'm interested to know your opinion.

Thank you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back