xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Dec 4, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #736 of 3,828
A wishful thinking of mine. I'd like to see a non battery version of Gryphon for a proper desktop setup.
You'd be looking at something like the iDSD Neo. The Diablo/iDSD BL/Silver/Signature and x products have batteries and are well suited for desktop use still. Even the Gryphon I believe is great for desktop. On an assuring note I've never had a battery issue with Ifi and even if I did they are pretty easy to replace in these products.

Dec 4, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #737 of 3,828
Dupe

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #742 of 3,828
So this could in theory blow the drivers in my IEMs?
Yes.

IMHO a device like this with a very powerful output should not have externally controlled volume, its all to easy for any transport, even a PC, where a miss-click of the mouse or a transport software glitch can cause very high output power levels, this is even if the bug is fixed.

The Tidal app on the PC can cause this too in my experience, volume normalisation may be to blame here.

@iFi audio you are setting yourselves up for legal action here.

@iFi audio I will do your job for you and suggest some kind of built in maximum volume limit, that can be set in the options page is the only way to fix this if you continue to offer source controlled volume.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #743 of 3,828
@Sebastien Chiu
@iFi audio

I've come across an issue that I'm reporting to you uys but don't think you'll be able to fix.

First off, well done on an excellent looking, excellent featured and excellent sounding device especially when using Bluetooth, also excellent sound when using via USB to my Samsung S21 Ultra, however only if I use the USB Audio Player Pro app. It seems that an age old problem with certain Android handsets is going to affect the Gryphon.

If I use the Gryphon via USB and use my Amazon HD service then I hear small clicks and pops in the background of the music. I had this with the Dragonfly Cobalt and Audioquest explained it is something to do with the maximum sample rate of the Android audio driver. USB Audio Player Pro bypasses the driver so effectively eliminates the issue however they only support Tidal and Qobuz and doesn't support offline listening.

This is not really Ifi-audio's fault but will probably make it a deal breaker for me as although I do store music on my phone I do tend to use my streaming service more and can't listen to pops and clicks.

Be interesting if any other Samsung users have this, I think it mainly affects the chipsets used in Euro models, and if they have found any solutions. Well reported over at Samsung forums but to my knowledge never resolved, Samsung don't feel it is their issue. It's been happening since around the S7 days.

Dec 5, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #744 of 3,828
@iFi audio I will do your job for you and suggest some kind of built in maximum volume limit, that can be set in the options page is the only way to fix this if you continue to offer source controlled volume.
+1. A volume limiter should be standard issue on any digital device. It's the first thing I enable on my DAPs. My ears are still ringing from two bad experiences without a volume limiter. It's absolutely dangerous, especially with IEMs.

Dec 5, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #745 of 3,828
You guys make me scared :D
Is there any way to setup a volume limiter (or it would be better to call it db limiter, or?) with a normal PC, Mac or iOS Device? I want to use the Gryphon as a device which should fulfill every use case (mobil with my iPhone, desktop DAC for my PC at home and during working time with my MacBook).
I do not think that the issue you are talking about is related to the Gryphon, right?

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #746 of 3,828
You guys make me scared :D
Is there any way to setup a volume limiter (it it would be better to call it db limiter, or?) with a normal PC, Mac or iOS Device? I want to use the Gryphon as a device which can should fulfill every use case (mobil with my iPhone, desktop DAC for my PC at home and during working time with my MacBook).
I do not think that the issue you are talking about is related to the Gryphon, right?
You should be, its all very well saying, "I wouldn't accidently click full volume, I know what I'm doing" but even when the "volume bug" is fixed, accidents happen.

This is not an issue specific to the Gryphon I'm sure, but with the push towards ever bigger output power levels (mine is bigger than yours) manufacturers must build in user settable power limits so that we can use our DAC/Amps with sensitive IEM's and power hungry headphones alike.

The Gryphon has a screen, software controlled volume and user settable options menu, why not add a user settable volume limit, its only software after all.

Dec 5, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #747 of 3,828
Sorry for being a NOOB - I've ordered a stand-alone DAC that has RCA and balanced XLR analogue outputs. Is it possible to connect my DAC to the Gryphon, and use it as an amp only (bypassing the Gryphon's internal DAC)?

If so, how do I connect? As the DAC has dual output cables - but the Gryphon has a single input?

Dec 5, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #748 of 3,828
Sorry for being a NOOB - I've ordered a stand-alone DAC that has RCA and balanced XLR analogue outputs. Is it possible to connect my DAC to the Gryphon, and use it as an amp only (bypassing the Gryphon's internal DAC)?

If so, how do I connect? As the DAC has dual output cables - but the Gryphon has a single input?
No problems we were all NOOB's once. :wink:

Yes it is possible to do what you want, but only connect one DAC output to one Gryphon input input at any one time.

If you want to go balanced you will need a balanced XLR to 4.4mm cable. SE connection will require a dual RCA to 3.5mm cable, this one is easier to find but I think amazon (other sellers are available) will have the required cables in stock.

Dec 5, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #749 of 3,828
No problems we were all NOOB's once. :wink:

Yes it is possible to do what you want, but only connect one DAC output to one Gryphon input input at any one time.

If you want to go balanced you will need a balanced XLR to 4.4mm cable. SE connection will require a dual RCA to 3.5mm cable, this one is easier to find but I think amazon (other sellers are available) will have the required cables in stock.

Thank you! Something like this then, from the DAC into the Gryphon...?

Attachments

• img_6335.jpg
    img_6335.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back