xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Dec 3, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #706 of 3,834
I dont used a phone I used a PC
Then you need to make sure you turn on “exclusive mode” in your desktop Tidal app.

Dec 3, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #707 of 3,834
I tried with pass decode and let the tidal app decode. Never got pass 48000 most testing with Taylor swift lattes album for testing. But it also did it with any type of music.
Also when I change to my Focal arche and let the tidal app do the decoding. I got 96000 same pc set up
Out of curiosity, how are you determining the sample rate you are getting? Neither the Zen or the Hip-Dac have a screen, only the color coded LED.

Dec 3, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #709 of 3,834
I could be out of the topic. But in roon you could see the sample rate that is sent to the DAC.
I don’t think ozz007 said anything about roon which is why I was asking. I know the fact that MQA is either only ever green or blue (or magenta if the app is decoding) regardless of rate tripped me up the first time.

Dec 3, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #710 of 3,834
Is there any way of using the Gryphon as a DAC only into a desktop amp?
There are 4.4 to 2x3pin bal cables out there on Amazon for $20. The Gryphon sounds great as a DAC despite it's diminutive size.

Dec 3, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #712 of 3,834
I don’t think ozz007 said anything about roon which is why I was asking. I know the fact that MQA is either only ever green or blue (or magenta if the app is decoding) regardless of rate tripped me up the first time.

Yeah, that and the fact that many MQA files are not high-resolution in the first place. There are tons of 44.1 kHz (and 48 kHz) MQA tracks on Tidal. MQA confusion.

Dec 3, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #713 of 3,834
I would love Tidal ditching MQA and give us the real thing, MQA should be routed to high res radio streams exclusively, that I would accept the MQA totally.

Dec 3, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #715 of 3,834
Dec 3, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #717 of 3,834
Yeah, that and the fact that many MQA files are not high-resolution in the first place. There are tons of 44.1 kHz (and 48 kHz) MQA tracks on Tidal. MQA confusion.

it certainly clouds the issue but when I load up The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again and the gryphon shows MQA 96k, I hit pause, then play again and it shows MQA 48k, something ain't right...

Dec 4, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #720 of 3,834
Some more of my thoughts on iEMatch, it seems to have drawn a few negative comments on this thread regarding its implementation within the xDSD Gryphon and generally I'm in agreement with this. But there is a but...

In my opinion I should say it depends on a few things, which output is being used, SE or BAL and what is plugged in to that output.

I've been "forced" to use the 3.5mm output as my UE 18+ pro IEM only supports 3.5mm and listening without the iEMatch it sounds good but then I switched it on and wow, after cranking up the volume, this sounds good, better, smoother, a more engaging listen certainly.

UE18+ pro has a quoted impedance of 37.5 ohms @ 1kHz.

We know iEMatch affects the sound balance, fact, but it can affect the sound in a good way. With the UE 18+ pro and I don't have a way to measure this, but it seems just the right part of the audio spectrum is attenuated, the upper mids are enhanced the soundstage pops out, its like a fixed EQ enhancement for that particular IEM.

Matching source to output is vital, call it synergy or whatever but I like what I'm hearing with this particular IEM and iEMatch switched on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back