xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Dec 2, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #691 of 3,834
No worries, I'm sure they'll get it sorted.

We're on this and as soon as there's any info about volume changes, we'll gladly inform everyone!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 2, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #692 of 3,834
I think this is finally the portable bluetooth device I always wanted. It would be perfect in my pocket when I lift weights. I use my phone as I have a workout app on it that I record my weights in, so it would not be in my pocket. I could use a dap, but they are much more expensive (not that I expect anything to happen to it). In my mind, this is a win for iFi audio!

Dec 2, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #693 of 3,834
I think this is finally the portable bluetooth device I always wanted. It would be perfect in my pocket when I lift weights. I use my phone as I have a workout app on it that I record my weights in, so it would not be in my pocket. I could use a dap, but they are much more expensive (not that I expect anything to happen to it). In my mind, this is a win for iFi audio!
As a fellow lifter I'd recommend the Blu. The Gryphon is still sizable and I'd hate to bang a stack on it when lifting from the waist. I use the BTR5 personally as I've had it since before the Blu came out. The clip allows me to position it and holds it in place as I shift positions.

Dec 2, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #694 of 3,834
Silly question but have all you guys using Tidal checked that volume normalisation is set to OFF in settings?
lol this solved the issue for me. Passthrough and exclusive mode are both on, but I had normalization on as well.

Dec 2, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #695 of 3,834
As a fellow lifter I'd recommend the Blu. The Gryphon is still sizable and I'd hate to bang a stack on it when lifting from the waist. I use the BTR5 personally as I've had it since before the Blu came out. The clip allows me to position it and holds it in place as I shift positions.
You are correct! I just looked up the dimensions and it is as wide as my iPhone 11 pro max, about 80% as high and thicker.

Dec 2, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #696 of 3,834
You are correct! I just looked up the dimensions and it is as wide as my iPhone 11 pro max, about 80% as high and thicker.
Yeah, the Gryphon has it's use case though which is a nice middle ground do it all device.

Dec 2, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #697 of 3,834
Gryphon screen brightness should have a auto low brightness setting. The auto uses max brightness and is ok, but a auto with low brightness is a welcome addition if possible for late at night listening and checking the screen.

Dec 2, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #700 of 3,834
Dec 2, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #701 of 3,834
i Have been using the gryphon today with a pair of focal utopia for 3 hours, and I found the unit to be very solid and stable, I could continue to listen to it for a lot more, but It is late and have to stop.

it’s musical, has good texture and has a good amount of detail, it probably needs to burn in for a few days. Not for a moment at least with the focal the gryphon sounded harsh, the sound is more to the go blu presentation than to the hip Dac side, I found the hip Dac did not match very well with my utopia, but the hip make the soundstage wider than the gryphon and that could be that the gryphon needs to play a lot more before settle.

And ifi mentioned that the xdsd gryphon uses the same dac as the pro iDSD the performance diference between them is big in all aspects, the pro idsd is on another level.

I like very much the gryphon as a portable dac, the Bluetooth sounds very good and better than the go blu, everyone should have a go blu is a beautiful baby dac.

I miss the GTO filter, and I hope the firmware comes soon.

Great product if…

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #702 of 3,834
Having my Gryphon for almost a week now, I can say this is a very clean detailed amp. I actually had the Hip-dac 2 and didn't like the sound of it at all on my Focal Clear Mg. As soon as I received and plugged in the Gryphon to my Headphones, I could here the quality jump right away. That and the amount of technology in this unit makes it a homerun, all in one dac amp unit. Love It.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back