xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Dec 1, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #661 of 3,834
Haha - ok great. I did a search but didn't see any posts relating to this. Thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:
I was going to return mine for this reason, it's unusable in some scenarios due to random 1W events direct into my ears, despite secretly wanting to keep it.

Word of warning, don't buy a Gryphon from Amazon in the UK supplied direct from iFi in my experience you will have difficulty returning it. Currently iFi are saying Amazon will sort out the return and Amazon will say iFi will sort it out. Not good iFi, distance selling rules iFi, its my belief you are breaking the law here.

I've owned a few iFi products, but customer service like that will make me think twice before buying anther.

Rant over, back to enjoying the sound and waiting for the F/W update, hopefully before the weekend, iFi if you want me to beta test it send me a PM, I will be delighted to beta test it for you.

Dec 1, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #662 of 3,834
My gryphon arrives Sunday! I'm bag in town Monday so will post impressions Tuesday vs idsd signature. Excited to hear this thing! My expectations are high! The signature beats the dx300 and I prefer it over the Diablo (not better per se, just prefer it. Feels more musical to me). I'm a basshesd so I use the xbass, which I really enjoy.

Dec 1, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #663 of 3,834
My gryphon arrives Sunday! I'm bag in town Monday so will post impressions Tuesday vs idsd signature. Excited to hear this thing! My expectations are high! The signature beats the dx300 and I prefer it over the Diablo (not better per se, just prefer it. Feels more musical to me). I'm a basshesd so I use the xbass, which I really enjoy.
I ordered mine just now. Should be here by end of week. Excited to compare versus xdsd and Diablo.

Dec 1, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #664 of 3,834
I ordered mine just now. Should be here by end of week. Excited to compare versus xdsd and Diablo.
I can attest that it blows the original xDSD away in every aspect—they are entirely different beasts. And in terms of features compared to the Diablo, it’s no contest. Holding this thing in your hand feels like a military grenade—there are no signs of any seams in the damn thing—it’s precision in every way. IFi must have fussed over this latest weapon in their arsenal more than any other to date. Excited to hear your own impressions!

Dec 1, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #665 of 3,834
Looking forward to hearing your assessment!

Dec 1, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #666 of 3,834
We are on the same page here: Empyreans and 4.4mm balanced port, both main reasons to the decision.
I'm not regretting it so far but I would love to know if you feel the 4.4mm port just a bit too tight with the Meze Pentaconn connectors.
Both my Meze connectors (Empyrean and Rai Penta) are working great with other Dac's but on my iFi products (Hip-Dac and now Gryphon) they need some additional pressure to "engage".
The port is tight for my Utopias too, but not so much that I have to yank it out. As far as the ieMatch setting for 4.4mm inputs, I’ve decided it sounds better off—I was getting some blaps in the bass on some tracks at higher volumes with the ieMatch enabled. Have you played with this setting at all?

Dec 1, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #667 of 3,834
I can also play the same track multiple times and on one playthrough the gryphon will show MQA 44k and if I jump to another track then back to the same track it will show MQA 96k...

These are unfortunately pretty deal-breaking issues, if not resolved quickly.
Both of my Zen dacs V2 and my Hip-dac V2 are only showing 44100 and 48000 when using tidal masters.

My fiio m15 shows 24bit 96000 for the same songs. Also tne volume jumps really loud on my zen dacs between sons. My fiio M15 and Hip-dac v2. stays at the same volume between sons.

Something is not working right with the MQA decoding.

I'm sending both of my Zen dacs V2 for a refund . until this issue is fix.

Dec 1, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #668 of 3,834
The exact same thing has just happened with me !!

This is a serious problem !!
My go blue has this problem. Could not used it with my pc. Volume will raise way high and it will hurt my ears. So I got a Hip-dac V2 and this issue went away.

I was going to get the griphon but after all of this MQA issues which it will be the main reason I got them. I'm passing.

Dec 1, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #669 of 3,834
I still can’t decide between the Gryphon or the Micro iDSD Signature. I have already read some impressions by srkbear that it sounds identical to the Signature. Is this really the case? It’s hard for me to imagine, that a 750€ DAC/AMP is identical SQ wise to a 600€ one. I know that the most significant difference is the power of the AMP. Do you think Gryphon will be enough for a Monarch MK2 and a HD800 with EQ?

It all depends on where your priorities are. For more power and wired connection I'd aim at micro iDSD Signature. For wireless, smaller footprint and less power I'd go after xDSD Gryphon. That's the rough guideline :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 1, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #670 of 3,834
Both of my Zen dacs V2 and my Hip-dac V2 are only showing 44100 and 48000 when using tidal masters.

My fiio m15 shows 24bit 96000 for the same songs. Also tne volume jumps really loud on my zen dacs between sons. My fiio M15 and Hip-dac v2. stays at the same volume between sons.

Something is not working right with the MQA decoding.

I'm sending both of my Zen dacs V2 for a refund . until this issue is fix.
I never had that problem—I get 192 consistently without issues. Before you return would you like to run your setup by me? Are you using the desktop version or a phone app? How do you have the zen DAC v2 connected? You can PM me if you like.

Dec 1, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #671 of 3,834
The port is tight for my Utopias too, but not so much that I have to yank it out. As far as the ieMatch setting for 4.4mm inputs, I’ve decided it sounds better off—I was getting some blaps in the bass on some tracks at higher volumes with the ieMatch enabled. Have you played with this setting at all?

After a brief experience with the ieMatch setting for 4.4mm inputs I decided not to use it

Dec 1, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #672 of 3,834
I never had that problem—I get 192 consistently without issues. Before you return would you like to run your setup by me? Are you using the desktop version or a phone app? How do you have the zen DAC v2 connected? You can PM me if you like.

I agree. I suspect we can get this working if we had more info on the player and hardware upstream of the DAC. Also, links to specific tracks that are causing issues.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #673 of 3,834
Thank you for the offer. I return both of the Zen dacs V2 I only have the Hip-dac V2 and the Go Blue

set up was PC tidal app all options set to pass the deciding to Zen dac using USB

I tried with pass decode and let the tidal app decode. Never got pass 48000 most testing with Taylor swift lattes album for testing. But it also did it with any type of music.

Hip-dac V2 does the same thing from the pc.

I tried both drivers from ifi the 5.1.2 and the 3.2 same result.

Also when I change to my Focal arche and let the tidal app do the decoding. I got 96000 same pc set up

That told me sometning is not decoding right out of the zendacs v2 and Hip-dac v2

Maybe ifi didnt pay the lic for MQA. not sure. but that was the only reason I got the Zen dacs v2 and the Hip-dac v2 for when I travel.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #674 of 3,834
Can you guys verified that the griphon works as intended with tidal?

Or only does 44100 and 48000?

Dec 1, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #675 of 3,834
I am waiting for mine to arrive, and the issues with the volume mentioned on the posts is a cause of concern to me, if an expensive set of earbuds or headphones are damaged by this volume issue who is responsible for this??? IFi??/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back