xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Nov 29, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #631 of 3,834
So mine comes on December 13th from Amazon. I have the idsd signature and will do an extensive a/B. Very little review here, which surprises me.

Nov 30, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #633 of 3,834
From what I understand the volume pot is an encoder which digitally controls the resistor array (like a digitally switched/controlled stepped antenuator).

Exactly. That resistor ladder has to be managed somehow and digital encoding does that. This hybrid volume attenuation is in fact often seen in many very costly stationary preamps.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 30, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #634 of 3,834
Very unscientific review but I spent several hours last night listening to the gryphon paired with my empyreans from the 4.4mm balance port, which is the real reason I bought this thing. It is very noticeably lacking in precision (especially on the low-end) compared to my adi-2 pro fs but that is to be expected and all things considered, it drives them beautifully and sounds as good as could be hoped for a portable solution of this size. I spent some time flipping between USB and LDAC 990 and honestly I was hard-pressed to find a huge difference, which really is what I was hoping for. It's not quite as clear but it's pretty damn close; worlds better than aptX.

Volume and MQA playback issues aside (which I assume will be addressed in firmware updates), this thing seems like a great little powerhouse. Does it sounds as good as a dedicated desktop DAC & AMP? Of course not, but even in LDAC mode it sounds 70% which seems like a very reasonable concession to be able to roam freely. :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #635 of 3,834
Very unscientific review but I spent several hours last night listening to the gryphon paired with my empyreans from the 4.4mm balance port, which is the real reason I bought this thing. It is very noticeably lacking in precision (especially on the low-end) compared to my adi-2 pro fs but that is to be expected and all things considered, it drives them beautifully and sounds as good as could be hoped for a portable solution of this size. I spent some time flipping between USB and LDAC 990 and honestly I was hard-pressed to find a huge difference, which really is what I was hoping for. It's not quite as clear but it's pretty damn close; worlds better than aptX.

Volume and MQA playback issues aside (which I assume will be addressed in firmware updates), this thing seems like a great little powerhouse. Does it sounds as good as a dedicated desktop DAC & AMP? Of course not, but even in LDAC mode it sounds 70% which seems like a very reasonable concession to be able to roam freely. :smile_phones:

Thanks! Much appreciated.

Nov 30, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #636 of 3,834
RE: Volume Control.

These issues are noted , fixed, and are in the final stages of being tested for the next firmware update.

Keep on the lookout for it and I will keep you all posted!

Nov 30, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #637 of 3,834
RE: Volume Control.

These issues are noted , fixed, and are in the final stages of being tested for the next firmware update.

Keep on the lookout for it and I will keep you all posted!
Well that is excellent news, thank you Sebastien, what about the MQA pop/click at the start of the track? I have this issue when playing MQA tracks from a variety of devices and not just the Android Tidal App.

Nov 30, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #638 of 3,834
One other note: enabling XBass+ sometimes produces an extremely loud *POP*. I haven't done enough testing to identify if it is specific to MQA playback and it doesn't happen every single time but it's "crap, I hope that didn't damage something" loud and I would suggest unplugging the headphones before enabling it until the issue is resolved.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #639 of 3,834
One other note: enabling XBass+ sometimes produces an extremely loud *POP*. I haven't done enough testing to identify if it is specific to MQA playback and it doesn't happen every single time but it's "crap, I hope that didn't damage something" loud and I would suggest unplugging the headphones before enabling it until the issue is resolved.
Yes I get that one too, I didn't want to swamp them with too many issues though. You are right though if its a software issue then they may as well fix it at the same time as the other software issues.

Nov 30, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #640 of 3,834
So mine comes on December 13th from Amazon. I have the idsd signature and will do an extensive a/B. Very little review here, which surprises me.
I left my extensive thoughts between the two recently on the thread—it’s excessively long enough to be reviewish 🤦‍♂️

Nov 30, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #641 of 3,834
Just received my iFi Gryphon. Very happy with it so far aside from one missing 'advertised' feature - The switchable GTO filter. This seems to have been replaced with a Minimum Phase filter. Does anyone have a the GTO filter available on their unit? I hope this will get sorted with a firmware update.

Nov 30, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #642 of 3,834
Just received my iFi Gryphon. Very happy with it so far aside from one missing 'advertised' feature - The switchable GTO filter. This seems to have been replaced with a Minimum Phase filter. Does anyone have a the GTO filter available on their unit? I hope this will get sorted with a firmware update.

This will be included in the next firmware update.

Nov 30, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #643 of 3,834
On the note of the pop, I will look into it and see why it occurs and if there is anything we can do about it. Updates to come!

Nov 30, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #644 of 3,834
This will be included in the next firmware update.
Fantastic! Is there any ETA on the firmware?

The Gryphon is absolutely amazing by the way. It's perfect!!!

A nice surprise is having an option to have one USB C port act as a dual port for both data and charging at the same time.

IMG_3214.jpg
IMG_3213.jpg

Nov 30, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #645 of 3,834
A nice surprise is having an option to have one USB C port act as a dual port for both data and charging at the same time.
Does that mean separate port for charging is optional and one can be used for both data and charging? I thought separation was advertised as a hardware feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back