xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Nov 24, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #526 of 3,834
[Amir]Something about changes less than 3dB being inaudible and the HD650 and HD600 being the same headphones [/Amir]
Whew boy, that's a can of worms. I just ate so I'll most definitely pass on that helping.

Nov 25, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #527 of 3,834
Another iEMatch post, apologies.

So as previously observed there is a low level hiss present on all input modes when using the 4.4mm balanced output with sensitive IEM's, this is fixed by using the iEMatch feature, but does this affect the output sound in any way? Maybe, but its difficult to determine because of the big drop in output level when iEMatch is switched into the 4.4 position.

Messing about I noticed that when using the 4.4mm balanced output with no music playing there is a significant drop in the hiss level (not audible anymore by me) when switching the iEMatch switch to the 3.5 position, this is good.

What happens to the output level though? Yes it is attenuated but nowhere near as much as when the switch is moved to 4.4 position. As the attenuation is much less, a practical comparison can be made regarding the output signature, between the three iEMatch positions 3.5, off and 4.4 .

I notice very little difference, other than the small drop in output volume when the switch is moved to the 3.5 position compared to the Off position.

@iFi audio can you give us some idea of what is happening here? What damage if any may occur if using the iEMatch switch in the wrong position and perhaps (one can only ask) a block diagram of where iEMatch is situated in the audio chain please?

Also perhaps other owners with sensitive IEM's and that hear the hiss can give this a try too.

If you got this far thanks for reading this long post. :)

20211125_100116.jpg

Nov 25, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #528 of 3,834
I received an 'enigmatic' email from iFi audio today titled "Don't Miss Our Black Friday Deals!", which contained no information on Black Friday deals whatsoever. Is anyone here any the wiser?

There is a 'Buy Now' button for the xDSD Gryphon, but it just links the Gryphon page of iFi's website, where there is no mention of any deal.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #529 of 3,834
I received an 'enigmatic' email from iFi audio today titled "Don't Miss Our Black Friday Deals!", which contained no information on Black Friday deals whatsoever. Is anyone here any the wiser?

There is a 'Buy Now' button for the xDSD Gryphon, but it just links the Gryphon page of iFi's website, where there is no mention of any deal.
Yes I got that one too, it mentions to keep an eye out on social media websites.

I think we can probably assume that as the Gryphon has only just been released it will be off the list, the old xDSD may well make an appearance though.

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #530 of 3,834
Another iEMatch post, apologies.

So as previously observed there is a low level hiss present on all input modes when using the 4.4mm balanced output with sensitive IEM's, this is fixed by using the iEMatch feature, but does this affect the output sound in any way? Maybe, but its difficult to determine because of the big drop in output level when iEMatch is switched into the 4.4 position.

Messing about I noticed that when using the 4.4mm balanced output with no music playing there is a significant drop in the hiss level (not audible anymore by me) when switching the iEMatch switch to the 3.5 position, this is good.

What happens to the output level though? Yes it is attenuated but nowhere near as much as when the switch is moved to 4.4 position. As the attenuation is much less, a practical comparison can be made regarding the output signature, between the three iEMatch positions 3.5, off and 4.4 .

I notice very little difference, other than the small drop in output volume when the switch is moved to the 3.5 position compared to the Off position.

@iFi audio can you give us some idea of what is happening here? What damage if any may occur if using the iEMatch switch in the wrong position and perhaps (one can only ask) a block diagram of where iEMatch is situated in the audio chain please?

Also perhaps other owners with sensitive IEM's and that hear the hiss can give this a try too.

If you got this far thanks for reading this long post. :)

I'm using Noble Audio Encore customs and can hear the little/ faint hiss in the Gryphon. Before Gryphon, I had the iFi Go blu and also heard hiss.

With the Gryphon, initially, I thought there was no hiss when ieMatch is set to 'Off'. But after toggling the Off and On (for 4.4mm balanced) several times, the hiss became audible. By enabling ieMatch to 4.4, the hiss is gone (at least to my ears ;p). However, the loudness dropped. Without ieMatch, I'm listening at -40db. After enabling ieMatch, I need to turn up the volume to -30db to reach the same loudness. Notwithstanding, even at the same loudness, I felt that dynamic range is affected / reduced. Without ieMatch, I felt that the sound is more open.

I really wanted Gryphon to be my go to portable blutetooth amp, especially with the price I'm paying and the impressive specs on paper. I'm always in the lookout for the "best" portable bluetooth amp to pair with my Galaxy Fold 3, and the Yinlumei and Gryphon is the "max" in terms of size/ portability. I almost jumped the gun to buy the Hifiman HM1000, but read there were bluetooth issues.

Gryphon is still a GOOD product, but not good enough to dethrone my Yinlumei M400plus.

Just giving my 2 cents. For avoidance of doubt, I'm in no way affiliated to Yinlumei. Peace......

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #532 of 3,834
@wwyjoe thank you for sharing your thoughts, but did you try it with the IEM plugged into the 4.4mm balanced output and the iEMatch switched to 3.5 on your unit.

I would be interested to read your thoughts on those settings.
If IEMatch is in 3.5 setting won't that essentially mean it's the same as IEMatch off for 4.4 Output? or am I missing something?

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #533 of 3,834
If IEMatch is in 3.5 setting won't that essentially mean it's the same as IEMatch off for 4.4 Output? or am I missing something?
That's what I thought too, but it cuts all the hiss on my Gryphon and attenuates the output by a few dB from the 4.4 balanced output, so it is doing something to the balanced output when switched to the 3.5 position.

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:14 AM Post #534 of 3,834
That's what I thought too, but it cuts all the hiss on my Gryphon and attenuates the output by a few dB from the 4.4 balanced output, so it is doing something to the balanced output when switched to the 3.5 position.
Strange, maybe it's like IEMatch on iDSD, High is 3.5 & Ultra is 4.4? Hopefully iFi or someone else can clarify.

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #535 of 3,834
@wwyjoe thank you for sharing your thoughts, but did you try it with the IEM plugged into the 4.4mm balanced output and the iEMatch switched to 3.5 on your unit.

I would be interested to read your thoughts on those settings.
Just tried this. My customs remain plugged to the 4.4mm balanced output, but toggled the ieMatch switch to 3.5. With the latter, hiss is gone AND volume is louder (volume at - 36db, instead of - 30db if ieMatch is set to 4.4).It seems dynamic range is NOT affected / reduced! But these are just some quick impressions afte listening for few minutes.

This is interesting but at the same time also baffling (since I'm using 4.4 balanced output, i should set iMatch to 4.4?). So yea, have to defer to iFi if there is any explanation for this.

Nov 25, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #537 of 3,834
I suspect what's happening is the 4.4 setting is designed to attenuate more noise than the 3.5 setting, but both work for both ports. ifi would have been better off labelling as standard and ultra to avoid this confusion.
Perhaps you may well be correct, which is why I asked @iFi audio for a block diagram of where iEMatch fits in the audio chain.

I "think" that the iEMatch when switched to 3.5 mode, may be converting the balanced amp into single ended amp, grounding the -L and -R signals, effectively making the 4.4mm output into an S-Balanced 4.4mm output. Hence the lower noise floor, but this is a total guess until when/if we get some clarification from IFi.

Nov 25, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #538 of 3,834
Received. My impressions.

The good:
- Da powa! This thing move the Aryas, better that I expected (4.4mm)
- Intimate, closed stage.
- Interface is easy to use.

The bad:
- Build quality is worst that the idsd. Buttons and connector feels cheap. Already having problems to get a nice connection on the 4.4

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #539 of 3,834
I suspect what's happening is the 4.4 setting is designed to attenuate more noise than the 3.5 setting, but both work for both ports. ifi would have been better off labelling as standard and ultra to avoid this confusion.
Lol, someone was drunk/tired when etching silk prints. Same with the X-Bass+/2 mislabeling :D

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #540 of 3,834
This is interesting but at the same time also baffling (since I'm using 4.4 balanced output, i should set iMatch to 4.4?). So yea, have to defer to iFi if there is any explanation for this.

In short, it's the same iEMatch circuit for both outputs. It locates after the amp and just before these sockets, but interacts with them differently due to their different topology (SE and balanced that's 6dB louder). Upon using a 4.4mm output and engaging iEMatch for 3.5mm output (...or vice versa) nothing bad will happen :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back