xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Nov 20, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #376 of 3,834
What headphone do you have that requires lots of power I have the HD650 which although is high impedance it really doesn't need much power to sound good, I intend to try Gryphon + HD650 tomorrow, both 3.5mm and 4.4mm.
I find the HD650 benefits greatly from a powerful amp, you might be surprised.

Nov 21, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #377 of 3,834
Does anyone know how it fits in the ifis iTraveller? If anyone here has the Gryphon and the iTraveller at home, please be so kind and test this and post a picture :D Thank you in advance.

I assume the case that comes with Diablo is the same as the iTraveller… which is way larger than Gryphon:

Attachments

• B8D237EF-EFB7-498B-B4BC-52A42799B412.jpeg
    B8D237EF-EFB7-498B-B4BC-52A42799B412.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 21, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #378 of 3,834
I got my Gryphon yesterday and found out a strange thing. I used my FD7, plucked it into the front 4,4 jack and gave it a listen and thought "Hmm, this thing sound doesn't sound better than my Qudelix". Tested some digital filters and used the bit-perfect filter. Tested the IEMatch. Yea, better but not as good as the Qudelix. Then i got the idea to plug it into the rear 4,4 out. BOOM, sounds exactly like the Qudelix. But the question is, why does the front out sounds not as good as the rear out? Does it need a burn-in because it has more transistors, when i look to the PCB? Its very stange!

Nov 21, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #379 of 3,834
I got my Gryphon yesterday and found out a strange thing. I used my FD7, plucked it into the front 4,4 jack and gave it a listen and thought "Hmm, this thing sound doesn't sound better than my Qudelix". Tested some digital filters and used the bit-perfect filter. Tested the IEMatch. Yea, better but not as good as the Qudelix. Then i got the idea to plug it into the rear 4,4 out. BOOM, sounds exactly like the Qudelix. But the question is, why does the front out sounds not as good as the rear out? Does it need a burn-in because it has more transistors, when i look to the PCB? Its very stange!
I didn't even try that, the rear 4.4mm "output" is really an input though, so you may cause damage, better to check with Ifi if that is OK perhaps.

1637482572749.png

Nov 21, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #381 of 3,834
The manual says it can also use as an output. I think i have to burn-in the front amp section.
Oh OK, perhaps I should RTFM then...

Edit: I tested the rear output in Bluetooth mode with the Sennheiser HD650, the front 4.4mm output appears to be louder for the same volume level compared to the rear 4.4mm output so that makes it difficult to compare the outputs as its tricky to volume match the outputs, but it does prove they are in some way different.

I would suggest if the rear output sounds better to you for some reason, it may be it has a better SINAD or whatever, we will have to wait for independent test results, then simply use that output.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #382 of 3,834
I wanted to replace the Qudelix with the Gryphon and now you say the front output sounds even worse than the 120€ Qudelix. To be honest, the Qudelix is soooo awesome for the money, but I was hoping for at least a small improvement.
Do you have demanding full size headphones as well?

Nov 21, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #383 of 3,834
I wanted to replace the Qudelix with the Gryphon and now you say the front output sounds even worse than the 120€ Qudelix. To be honest, the Qudelix is soooo awesome for the money, but I was hoping for at least a small improvement.
With one IEM, the FD7 I'm not sure I'd put too much stock into it. Using the rear line output to increase SQ? I'm going to hold my marbles for the moment. Not shook yet :) I hear the Qudelix compared to the BTR5 as equals in SQ. I've got the BTR5 on hand I'll have to throw it into the testing mix when the Gryphon arrives.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #385 of 3,834
I can't believe we are talking no improvement in a £500 difference, even if small...

Nov 21, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #386 of 3,834
I'd like to hear from someone's who's compared the Gryphon to a higher-end ($1500+) DAP. In terms of specs it should be a match, but only a direct AB (with Gryphon using USB in) will tell for sure. Using high-end IEMs via 4.4, if I can be picky.

Nov 21, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #387 of 3,834
I'd like to hear from someone's who's compared the Gryphon to a higher-end ($1500+) DAP. In terms of specs it should be a match, but only a direct AB (with Gryphon using USB in) will tell for sure. Using high-end IEMs via 4.4, if I can be picky.
I will leave that comparison to another member as I don't really have a suitable high end DAP to compare with, I do have the N6ii and several audio modules but which audio module to use...

Edit:

Can I also add that to my wannabe Audiophile ears I really don't notice much of a difference over all these various high-end sources, differences are very subtle IMHO, I'd rather have a versatile unit like the Gryphon over a less versatile DAC or headphone amp that squeezes the last 2% out of my music.

I'm listening to some 192Khz sampled music now over USB from my PC streamed from Qobuz via Audirvana -> Sennheiser HD650 and it just sounds right, no drop-outs no clicks just my music.

Just my 2p worth. :)

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #388 of 3,834
I will leave that comparison to another member as I don't really have a suitable high end DAP to compare with, I do have the N6ii and several audio modules but which audio module to use...

Edit:

Can I also add that to my wannabe Audiophile ears I really don't notice much of a difference over all these various high-end sources, differences are very subtle IMHO, I'd rather have a versatile unit like the Gryphon over a less versatile DAC or headphone amp that squeezes the last 2% out of my music.

I'm listening to some 192Khz sampled music now over USB from my PC streamed from Qobuz via Audirvana -> Sennheiser HD650 and it just sounds right, no drop-outs no clicks just my music.

Just my 2p worth. :)
Thanks Mark. R01 vs Gryphon + phone (USB) would be a good place to start. Also Hugo2 vs Gryphon could be interesting. With the IE900 of course. Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back