xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Nov 19, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #361 of 3,834
@iFi audio will there be a case for the gryphon? Like the hip dacs. From the reviews the Gryphon doesn’t seem to come with one correct?

Nov 19, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #362 of 3,834
When I first got the X10T II, I did do the comparisons with the DAP’s and smartphones that I had at that time and the improvement could be told on site. Very clean and absolutely no coloration (yes, even we are talking about digital).

Also love that the battery lasts like forever.

For Gryphon, I do not hear hiss but then none of my IEM’s are sensitive after all. I would leave it to other owners to comment.

I've got my fingers crossed it plays nice with Solaris OG. My unit arrives Tuesday.

Nov 20, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #363 of 3,834
Is there any hiss with the Gryphon?
There are several members here on Headfi who have been asking for a 4.4mm iEMatch for a long time, Ifi currently does not sell such a device, don't forget you have that feature built in to the Gryphon already, IMHO its one of the best features the unit has.

I've been using my Westone W80 for a while and and switched on the iEMatch before I plugged it in as as it is a very sensitive low impedance IEM and I hear no hiss whatsoever @ -38dB volume/output.

@iFi audio will there be a case for the gryphon? Like the hip dacs. From the reviews the Gryphon doesn’t seem to come with one correct?
It comes with a cloth bag that I will use to protect it whilst carrying it around in my pocket.

Nov 20, 2021 at 3:57 AM Post #365 of 3,834
I am thinking of Gryphon vs Fiio M11 plus
(need only usb-dac)

very interested if owners could compare :)
I’m in the same exact boat. Just wondering which one has better plug and play capability to windows and Mac. And less setup.

Nov 20, 2021 at 4:10 AM Post #366 of 3,834
I've been testing Bluetooth and it sounds really good to me. I currently have the XSpace and XBass+ enhancements on too. My W80 never sounded so good.

I only have the Fiio BTR5 to compare with but I think it sounds a fair bit better than that device.

Only have one complaint so far, the Hi-Res audio sticker has been stuck on wonky which does make Hi-Res audio sound a bit "off" I will have to re-apply the sticker. :)

rsz_1img_4138.jpg

Nov 20, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #369 of 3,834
Just trying USB mode now after making a new USB C to USB C adaptor, thanks @ClieOS.

As its already been pointed out this covers the display and the whole Gryphon actually so its my least favourite mode, I can't see my new expensive toy. :)

rsz_1img_4144.jpg
So how does it sound? I have both Xcan and Signature, so curious where this fits. I would imagine right in the middle, but would love it if it sounded as good as the signature

Nov 20, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #371 of 3,834
The headphone amp stage maintains an engaging balance between sonic power and poise, no matter what it is tasked to drive – from high-sensitivity in-ear monitors to current-hungry planar headphones – with a continuous power output of more than 1000mW into a 32-ohm load available through the balanced headphone socket.

1000mW per channel, or total? At 1% THD, or 10%?

Nov 20, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #372 of 3,834
So how does it sound? I have both Xcan and Signature, so curious where this fits. I would imagine right in the middle, but would love it if it sounded as good as the signature
I don't own and have never heard the Sig or the xCan so I can't say I afraid. I really haven't had much time either to form a fair opinion either, plus its still shiny and new so it beats everything at the moment. :wink:

The thing about the Gryphon is its so versatile, driven from my N6ii+A02 from its Line in it sounds the best, Bluetooth is great too, I suspect that is where I will use it most when out and about, USB is good too but I don't think I will use USB that much.

When I've had more time to listen I will try and compare to other devices I own such as Hugo 2 and the original xDSD.

1000mW per channel, or total? At 1% THD, or 10%?
What headphone do you have that requires lots of power I have the HD650 which although is high impedance it really doesn't need much power to sound good, I intend to try Gryphon + HD650 tomorrow, both 3.5mm and 4.4mm.

Nov 20, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #373 of 3,834
I don't own and have never heard the Sig or the xCan so I can't say I afraid. I really haven't had much time either to form a fair opinion either, plus its still shiny and new so it beats everything at the moment. :wink:

The thing about the Gryphon is its so versatile, driven from my N6ii+A02 from its Line in it sounds the best, Bluetooth is great too, I suspect that is where I will use it most when out and about, USB is good too but I don't think I will use USB that much.

When I've had more time to listen I will try and compare to other devices I own such as Hugo 2 and the original xDSD.
That would be awesome.

Nov 20, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #375 of 3,834
DCA Stealth but I add 105Hz low shelf +6dB
I don't know about that one, sadly I don't have a spare three and a half grand either.

I do have the first Aeon Flow Closed its a lot more sensitive then the Stealth though (105 vs 86 dB/mW) and there is plenty of power to drive the Flow. I tested with Massive Attack's Angel for the bass and with XBass on and Balanced and could detect no distortion at way above the levels I would usually listen at.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back