Xbox 360 unveiled.
May 13, 2005 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

AuroraProject

Headphoneus Supremus
http://features.teamxbox.com/xbox/11...he-Xbox-360/p1

Specs, pics, and features. First party wireless!! It will come with a 20gig removeable/upgradeable hard drive. Release still scheduled for Holiday 05. Backwards compatibility not yet confirmed.

Personally I can't wait, how about you headfi gamers?

May 13, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #2 of 45
hottness
eek.gif

May 13, 2005 at 2:21 AM Post #5 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Does anyone know what;s the price gonna be?

This is completely off the top of my head, but I would guess it'll be around $399 at launch, and will then drop over time of course.

May 13, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #6 of 45
Cant wait till someone hacks it. That would make one hell of a linux box...

May 13, 2005 at 2:36 AM Post #7 of 45
i am not getting it. may be in a year or something. i am too cheap to pay $50 for a game and still play more on PC.

May 13, 2005 at 5:55 AM Post #10 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
Cant wait till someone hacks it. That would make one hell of a linux box...

I want to run MacOS X on it (It is PPC, after all) - hopefully PearPC Project will be in an advanced enough stage by that point.
smily_headphones1.gif

~KS

May 13, 2005 at 6:56 AM Post #11 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject
This is completely off the top of my head, but I would guess it'll be around $399 at launch, and will then drop over time of course.

Most business analysts anticipate the launch price to be $300.

May 13, 2005 at 8:41 AM Post #12 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
Most business analysts anticipate the launch price to be $300.

Just a quick thought that popped into my head after seeing the specs and watching the "Our Colony" video and then considering the price possibly being only $300. What does this say about the future prices of mp3 players? The 20gb iPod is $300 and the Xbox 360 has a detachable 20gb hard drive as well as a complete entertainment console with a wireless controller. If that type of technology is priced at $300, will we see any drops in the price of portable devices of much less technology? Ehh, who knows, I'm just hopped up on caffeine working on finals and these thoughts just kinda flow out of my head at times like this. Do I pose a valid argument... maybe, maybe not
confused.gif

May 13, 2005 at 9:40 AM Post #14 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB06
Just a quick thought that popped into my head after seeing the specs and watching the "Our Colony" video and then considering the price possibly being only $300. What does this say about the future prices of mp3 players? <big fat snip> Do I pose a valid argument... maybe, maybe not
confused.gif

Well it is a valid question, but you have to factor in that the manufacturers sell the game consoles at a loss and make up for it in game sales.

May 13, 2005 at 10:11 AM Post #15 of 45
They'll never make money on this. Their current Xbox division is still losing $1.2 billion/yr, even after shipping 20 million units and collecting the licensing fees for games sold to those customers. And the current Xbox is a heck of a lot cheaper to produce per unit than this new one. 3 PPC cores, 512MB, liquid cooling! Even in quantity and with the higher price, they'll be losing money on every unit, and they're not going to sell as fast as the old Xbox given the substantially higher price.

That said, what an amazing gift! It's a dream machine, and even at $399 it would be an incredible bargain. Liquid cooling with the ability to shut off two cores when not in use could mean a very quiet living room media machine. (I am worried about the specs showing only 48kHz audio output, but hopefully it can also do 44.1kHz without resampling.) This could kick serious butt for audio use, and it's a natural for HTPC applications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back