Xbox 360, Logitech x 230's and the Ms1i.
Sep 4, 2010 at 9:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Tanjent

100+ Head-Fier
OK, Im a noob and its my first post, please be nice lol

Issue...

I have the Xbox 360, running thru Logitech X-230's.

I listen to a lot of music, and have chosen the Ms1i's to purchase..
which I will be doing in about 1 week.

Issue: What is the best way to connect the headphones to get best sound.

If i go thru Xbox's Line out, will that provide power for optimal performance, or plug straight into Logitech speakers, that have a 3.5mm audio jack?

Will i need a small headphone amp?
Which is the best way to handle this situation?

Thanks
TANJ.

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #2 of 6
Welcome to Head-Fi.

The best first way to handle this is to plug your headphones into each and see which you prefer. I don't own these and assume the XBOX headphone out is already amped. And then posting your findings here would help. 

Buying an amp and amping an already amped headphone out is often not recommended, but that doesn't mean you would not prefer the sound from doing so. I've done this in the past and am currently doing it because I prefer the sound to just plugging the headphones directly into the amped headphone out that I'm using as my source. I suggest not considering use of an amp unless you determine you're not satisfied with the sound from either source. But note: you "may" find that you prefer the sound of your system without use of additional amplification. 

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for that advice..

I will try that first out..
And i may try that 1/4 mod also, with the comfies..
TANJ

Xbox has no dedicated headphone out.. I use RGB for the video, and Stereo to Logitech x 230's.

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #4 of 6
In all honesty, neither of those options are optimal.

That said, the line out from your X-Box isn't designed for headphones at all.  The speaker plug is at least MEANT for headphones, though I make no guarantees for sound quality.  At least that way, you'll have an effective volume control.

Sep 4, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #5 of 6

After reading more about PC speakers, it seems they are generally not known for having good quality headphone outs. So that's likely the case with your X230.  

And FWIR, the MS1i is more revealing in the higher frequencies than the MS1. That combined with a low quality source/amp suggests a quarter mod is the last thing I'd likely want to try. Rather, I'd want a higher quality DAC/amp like a uDAC, which is probably a good match for the MS1i. How convenient - I just happen to have one for sale... lol.   
Quote:
Thanks for that advice..

I will try that first out..
And i may try that 1/4 mod also, with the comfies..
TANJ

Xbox has no dedicated headphone out.. I use RGB for the video, and Stereo to Logitech x 230's.

Sep 4, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #6 of 6
Yeah..  How much you want for it?

What is it?

Where do you live?

TANJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back