Xbox 360 game discussion/impressions thread
Nov 4, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #46 of 204
F.E.A.R

I picked it up last week as it is one of the few PC titles that I was truly interested in getting, but I refuse to game on my PC. I heard many great things about it, so I figured it would keep me occupied until Gears of War and CoD 3.

Graphics

The character models are excellent. The textures and lighting are great. However, the world outside of the corridor you happen to be wreaking carnage in is just not that pretty. It has helipcopter scenes like GRAW where you are being transported from one area to another, and the city below you looks just awful. However, to me that is a minor annoyance, as what is directly in your face and your immediate surroundings is very pretty. Frame rate is locked at 30 FPS in single player. I never saw a single dip in the frame rate, and no screen tearing at all.

Gameplay

First off, the AI is amazing. Your enemies are truly intelligent and employ different strategies to take you out. They are always out to flank you and find cover for themselves. It makes for very fun and often difficult battles. The combination of enemy AI and the arsenal you are given to lay waste to them is what makes this game good. I would have loved to see more variety in enemy types though, as you always seem to be fighting the same packs of grunts until the levels "major battle" where they throw some heavy armour at you along with the packs of grunts.

However, graphically, not everything is coming up roses. The environments get stale, the levels are not very well designed, and it ends up feeling like you are stuck in one never ending corridor. Sure, there a few ladders to climb and a couple of enclaves or rooftops to battle on, but 95% of the time you will be cleaning out corridors or very cramped rooms connected by said corridors.

The slo mo is a nice touch. Obviously not the first time it has been employed in a FPS, but it works well here.

The weapons are also excellent. Well balanced and FUN! You can explode baddies with a point blank shotgun blast, rip them to shreds with the automatics, or pulverise them with rockets or grenades. There is also a nice energy gun which acts as a sniper rifle of sorts to cook the meat off your opponents bones. Very visceral, and very satisfying across the board.

There is a supernatural theme that runs throughout the game and it makes for some creepy moments. It has some "dreamscape" vignettes a la Max Payne, featuring a creepy little girl that explodes people at will, and a psychotic, cannibal battalion leader with psychic abilities. Very neat.

Sound

Outstanding. Very well mixed for 5.1. Everything sounds just right. The sound effects for the weapons are awesome. Creepy "supernatural" ambient sounds and above average voice acting round out a very tasty and immersive aural experince

Overall I'd say this is a purchase or at the very least a rental unless you have played it on PC, or if you just rather play FPS on your PC. I can understand people in that camp, but I'd rather be on my couch with a controller.

I can't speak to the multiplayer, as I just finished the SP campaign and have not gone online yet, though it should lend itself very well to some multiplayer mayhem.

8.5/10

Nov 4, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #47 of 204
Well, I was looking forward to finishing Quake IV today. Not the best game I ever played, but good dual stick practice for GOW and RSV...unfortunately...

RedRingofDeath.jpg

Bad news: all my saved games are gone...every week, I thought to myself, I need to buy a memory card to back this up. Every week, I put it off. "My 360 wasn't a pre-December unit," I told myself. Well it started with the RSV demo freezing. No problem, the discs didn't freeze, and other demos were working fine. Then Quake froze - end of story.

Good news: I get to play Gears with a brand spankin' new 360! Thank you Best Buy and Mr. extended warranty.

Edit: With the "red ring of death", I feel like and official 360 owner. Unfortunately, the club is not very exclusive.

Nov 4, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #48 of 204
virometal - bummer man! when did you buy yours?

Squeek - I agree with your review for the most part but I find my self becoming pretty bored with the same layout. I just crashed into the beat up building and while it's nice to finally see some different colors on the walls I feel like it really is just more of the same. I'm hoping the instant action and multiplayer will make this worth keeping, otherwise I'll trade it in for GOW or Rainbow Six. I really do like the gore and weapons but it's just too damn repetitive IMO.

Nov 4, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #49 of 204
Well, I downloaded the Rainbow Six demo earlier today. It seems like a great game, but I got stuck at this part where the way to continue is blocked off and a rope is hanging from the roof. Wouldnt let me select the rope.
blink.gif

Nov 6, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #50 of 204
Finished FEAR yesterday... a little disappointing IMO... I guess after just finishing such an amazing game (Splinter Cell) it was a bit of a let down mostly because of it repetition in gameplay and environment... it's up on eBay now if anyone wants it
very_evil_smiley.gif

2 more days for Gears of War!! Also I saw on Gamestop.com they released a date of 11/1/07 for Halo 3.

Nov 6, 2006 at 11:48 PM Post #51 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
virometal - bummer man! when did you buy yours

Well, the one that blew was a manu. date - 02/06. My new one is a 05/06. Maybe, I'll have better luck with this one. First year consoles are always a big if. Well not Nintendo's for me - I've had a-lot of luck with those.

Replaying Quake IV; a game I've played on PC several times, now 360 a couple of times. For $30, it's a decent diversion. Not many are left playing it on Live though.

Can't wait for Wednesday. GOW is a given, and I'll pick up either THPSP8 or COD3. Probably the former. I've had enough of WWII games.

I've kept my hopes in check for Gears, because, well Epic hasn't made very many great single player games. Unreal is the last one I can think of, and like Gears, it was super purty showing off a nice new engine, but the gameplay was nothing exceptional.

I feel my anticipation growing though. Gears is so dog gon' purty! Plus there appears to be a positive buzz, and 'cover' shooters really are coming into their own lately.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dj Mauler
you wanna get some other head-fiers that are gonna get GoW and start some online play

I'm game skater. Jack n Tacos on Live. Look me up!

Nov 7, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #52 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
2 more days for Gears of War!! Also I saw on Gamestop.com they released a date of 11/1/07 for Halo 3.

2 days? I get mine tomorrow!

Nov 8, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #53 of 204
Gamespot gives GOW a 9.6!!! They usually grade pretty tough I cant wait to get mine! I'm going to pickit up in the mext hour...anyone already have it wanna take a break and tell ushow you like it?

Nov 8, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #54 of 204
Grrrr. My local EB has their GOW shipment delayed until 7pm tonight.

They better have it today, or I might have to drive to Universal City to pick up one of the 2000 copies they were alloted. What? Did they seriously think that many people would show up?

-Ed

Nov 8, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #55 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Grrrr. My local EB has their GOW shipment delayed until 7pm tonight.

They better have it today, or I might have to drive to Universal City to pick up one of the 2000 copies they were alloted. What? Did they seriously think that many people would show up?

-Ed

Yup, my local GameStop just told me 8:00
mad.gif

Nov 8, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #56 of 204
Just taking a quick break from GOW to say it is definitely all the hype so far. Graphics are out of this world, sound is awesome and gameplay so far is fantastic. My only complaint so far is the sound of the guns feels a little light. The chainsaw rocks! There is a slight learning curve working with the cover options and mechanics. I'm also playing on the harder of the two options but I want to make sure I don't breeze through the game. Anyways, more to report after I've had more than the last 45 minutes with the game.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back