xBox 360 Elite Question
Aug 22, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #16 of 28
^ Yes, new Elites no longer include the cable, you're gonna have to get one from monoprice or somewhere. The price drop is so that the Elite can compete with the PS3 slim.

Why Hello, $299 Xbox 360 Elite - xbox 360 elite - Gizmodo
http://gizmodo.com/5341207/10-things...yline=true&s=i
http://gizmodo.com/5342470/so-the-ps...udio-after-all

Personally, I'd rather they just add an HDD to the $200 Arcade unit. And as for failure rate:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/17/ga...-failure-rate/

Like with all stats, it should be taken with a grain of salt. Still, even the previously speculated ~33% was high.

Aug 22, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #17 of 28
^Yes, AFAIK that is the new $299 Elite. Wait out for that and but some $10 HDMI cables from amazon or monoprice.

Aug 22, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Yes, new Elites no longer include the cable, you're gonna have to get one from monoprice or somewhere. The price drop is so that the Elite can compete with the PS3 slim.

Why Hello, $299 Xbox 360 Elite - xbox 360 elite - Gizmodo
10 Things You Need to Know About the PS3 Slim - Ps3 slim faq - Gizmodo
So, The PS3 Slim Can Bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio After All? - PS3 Dolby TrueHD - Gizmodo

Personally, I'd rather they just add an HDD to the $200 Arcade unit.

The one problem with that is that the smaller-capacity hard drives are also being discontinued, leaving the Elite's 120GB unit as the only one available. And just adding a 120GB hard drive to the Arcade would have more than completely wiped out any price advantage over the new "stripped-down" Elite.

But I do agree that a mere 256MB of built-in flash memory in the Arcade is not enough. That unit, even if it does not include a hard drive, should come with 4GB or 8GB of built-in flash memory without significantly increasing the price of the console.

Aug 28, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a chance those consoles are pre-jasper, meaning higher chance of failure. Rumor has it that the Pro's will be phased out and the Elite dropped to $299 in the coming weeks. I'd wait and pay the extra $35 for the newest revision to be on the safe(r) side.

And it just happened:

Xbox.com | Xbox News - Xbox 360 Drops Elite Console Price by $100

I'm glad I waited as I agree that $35 is well spent on the newest revision of the console. I may just be buying one this weekend.

Aug 28, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #20 of 28
I bought my Elite last week for 350$ (CAD) on sale at Future Shop, bundled with GTA IV and free Prince of Persia (loved it). It was the pre-drop bundle, with hdmi cable, I think I had a good deal
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And it just happened:

Xbox.com | Xbox News - Xbox 360 Drops Elite Console Price by $100

I'm glad I waited as I agree that $35 is well spent on the newest revision of the console. I may just be buying one this weekend.

With this, Microsoft dropped the price of any remaining Pros to $249 (and also ceased manufacture of new Pros). Once the remaining stock of Pros is depleted, it's gone. Only the Arcade and the Elite will remain.

By the way, the 60GB kit for the Arcade will remain in production for the foreseeable future (at its current price of $99). The 60GB kit not only includes the hard drive, but also includes pre-loaded demos, a (cheap) wired headset, a network cable and a 3-month Xbox Live Gold membership card. An Arcade with this equipment would cost just $20 less (at $299) than an Elite plus the 3-month Gold membership (but you'd get an extra 60GB for that extra $20, or $319, if you buy the Elite plus the 3-month Gold membership). This makes the Elite - even with the elimination of any HD cables as standard equipment (they remain optional; prices vary by brand and grade) - by far the better value of the two remaining Xbox 360 configurations. (And no, I'm not saying to get the 3-month membership; the 12-month membership at $49 is a better bet than shorter memberships.)

Aug 31, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #22 of 28
So I picked up the Elite today:

DSC01623.jpg

I think I have enough video game systems for now.

Yes, that is an NES R.O.B. in the corner of the pic. Yes, it still works and, yes, I still have and use my original NES from 1985 or so.

Aug 31, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

DSC01623.jpg

Yes, that is an NES R.O.B. in the corner of the pic. Yes, it still works and, yes, I still have and use my original NES from 1985 or so.

I see something plugged into one of the two front USB ports on your Elite. What is it?

Sep 4, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #25 of 28
So I haven't had the console for a week yet but here is the first thing I notice.

Most of the noise comes from the DVD drive. Once you install the game to the HD, the thing is really quite quiet. Much quieter than my PS3 and I'm not one of the people who complains that the PS3 is loud. With the Jasper chipset, the fans seem to run on their lowest setting and I don't notice that the console is putting out a lot of heat. My PS3 gets hotter.

Sep 4, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

DSC01623.jpg

GEARS!!!

and yes, it does run almost silently when you burn a game to the drive, doesn't it?

Would be nice if you didn't have to swap discs, but that's understandable.

Sep 5, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by chud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would be nice if you didn't have to swap discs, but that's understandable.

GoW 2 so no disc switching but good call!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back