XB500/700 ALTERNATIVE ?
Feb 13, 2013 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

deeo

New Head-Fier
I decided to get Sony XB500 headphones after doing some research , but i found that they are sold out EVERYWHERE in my country (Czech Republic)..Same with the xb700...Can anyone please recommend me some other good headphones with a good amount of bass for rap / hip hop in this price range ? 
smile.gif

Feb 13, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 34
Look at Audio Technica's M50's and Pro700Mk2's. Maybe even the Beyer DT770's would work for you. These were the few that I came to when I came to the conclusion that the XB's really don't have much pass the mid-bass range. They definitely have bass but nothing more, vocals and midrange are a mess. I found that most people reviewed the M50's to be the perfect mix of a heavier bass can but one that still has enough power to hang around in the high treble areas with a good response. I had my eyes singled in on the pro700Mk2's though, but to each his own.

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 34
Quote:
Thanks for ur reply..Im most likely going to go with m50s..So excited
smily_headphones1.gif

Most likely you're going to be disappointed with the bass coming from XB series, there are plenty of other options which comes close to XB levels quantity while overall sounding much more refined;

- M-Audio Q40, Nuforce HP-800, Audio Technica Solid Bass series (The new WS99 seems really great but slightly above your budget and WS70 and WS55 are also pretty decent), Utrasone HFI-580, Spider PowerForce, Audio Technica PRO 700MK2, Denon D1100 (personally not liking the Denon's sound at all but it still does technically quite great).

EDIT: I actually forgot to mention the JVC HA-S500, these lowcost, around XB500 price segment is actually way better sounding headphone while still packing a quite large amount of bass, obviously not XB levels but I'd still put it like "basshead" standards and definitely noticeably more than M50.

Yes all these costs slightly more but my recommendation, either up the budget or save your money until you can afford the step-up as you won't find any noteworthy upgrades unless stepping up to that price segment.

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #6 of 34
Quote:
the M50's are twice as much as the sony XB500's in my area (Canada) is this not the same for you?  The Xb's are like 80 bucks and the M50's are like 170.. *** canada

Well the 500's are about 60-65 but the 700's are much more than the M50's, about 150-200 depending on condition etc. RPGWiZaRD's recommendations above are pretty swell as well, I think finding something in the Audio-Technica line would be your best bet depending on what you are really looking for.

Feb 14, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Well the 500's are about 60-65 but the 700's are much more than the M50's, about 150-200 depending on condition etc. RPGWiZaRD's recommendations above are pretty swell as well, I think finding something in the Audio-Technica line would be your best bet depending on what you are really looking for.

150-200 for XB700 these days? seriously? These used to run for $80 USD / ~$100 CAD ^^ At such price the XBs should be overlooked for sure, much better alternatives, pretty much any of the above stomps the XB700.

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #9 of 34
Quote:
does this mean the XB500's are still a good buy considering the price tag is like 70 bucks or so (canadian).  Everything thing else seems to be around 120 bucks that i have been recomended.

I wouldn't bother with them. They look like they would have bass, and let me tell you they will!, but it's muddy, unrefined and probably not as responsive as you would like. Looking into the Beyer 770's (originals or 32ohm set) or my weapon of choice (M50's and Pro700Mk2's) would be your best bet. But anything RPGWiZaRD has listed above as well would all be better than even the XB500's. If you had the extra cash to splurge on in the future, then maybe yeah I would buy a pair, but for a first pair I wouldn't bother.

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #10 of 34
Im loving everything about those beyer 770's but the price tage. they are running for 170.00 plus shipping its looking like.  Maybe ill just accept that i will love the hell out of them and own them for some time... suck it up and get them.  They have everything from the soft comfy pads, solid bass and well rounded sound, and they even looks bad ass!  decisions suck...

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #11 of 34
All the headphones you guys suggested look great ,although im not sure which one i should get..Which headphones that you guys listed would be the best for hip hop ? 

Feb 14, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #12 of 34
At this point it just seems to be a personal preference.  Everyone has different tastes in music at the end of the day and all that.  So unless you can try them all out before hand id say pick what you like from the listed ones, thats what im going to do, i dont have any stores near me that will let me sample them! 

Feb 14, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #13 of 34
If you are worried about price then I think the M50's will be your best cost/quality option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back