X5L in my hot little hands
Jul 2, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #47 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by rbf1138
crawdaddy- i just ordered a case from http://www.misticaudio.com/ but they seem to be sold out of both right now. The case is much better than Cowon's, though $10 dollars more. Check out pics here: http://iaudiophile.net/gallery/displ...cat=1&pos=-431

Ooo - I kinda like it! I agree that it looks much nicer than Cowon's. It mentions a removable belt clip. Wonder if it'll attach to an arm band or a running belt? Give us your impressions when you get it and try it out. Thanks for the link!

Jul 2, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #48 of 69
I'm still learning how to operate the x5...so I'll get there, but I'm thinking that "stop" and "menu" buttons would make the operation a little easier. I get confused because the joystick / button operated differently between Music and Voice for example.

Also, the Jet Shell and Jet Audio software have some quirks. Maybe this is normal for DAP's, but I can't listen to the player when it's hooked up to the computer, I haven't figured out how to preview a song prior to ripping or downloading to the x5, and it seems to take a while to download (10-15 min for a CD of flac - could be a slow computer).

Any one have similar experience?

Jul 2, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #49 of 69
Does anyone know where I can get the dock for the X5 regular, other than direct from Cowon?

Jul 2, 2005 at 9:59 PM Post #50 of 69
I'll post pics of the case as soon as I get it...it shipped Friday. I'm also still getting used to the joystick...when I press it in, sometimes I feel like I accidentally pushed it down instead, do you ever feel that? I'm also so paranoid about breaking the joystick after having the player awhile.

Jul 3, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #51 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by rbf1138
I'll post pics of the case as soon as I get it...it shipped Friday. I'm also still getting used to the joystick...when I press it in, sometimes I feel like I accidentally pushed it down instead, do you ever feel that? I'm also so paranoid about breaking the joystick after having the player awhile.

Yes, same fears about the joystick. I guess I'm not worried about breaking it, but rather wearing it out since thats the only thing I'm touching. Given the build quality, I'm sure we'll be fine. I guess it just takes getting use to. In general a good design, but not as intuitive as I'd like. Excellent build quality and sound trumps all of my little "nit picks" though. Very happy with the purchase so far.

Jul 3, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #52 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawdaddy
Yes, same fears about the joystick. I guess I'm not worried about breaking it, but rather wearing it out since thats the only thing I'm touching. Given the build quality, I'm sure we'll be fine. I guess it just takes getting use to. In general a good design, but not as intuitive as I'd like. Excellent build quality and sound trumps all of my little "nit picks" though. Very happy with the purchase so far.

I feel pretty confident with the joystick, it looks like the identical joystick that the iaudio U2 has , and my son had a u2 since they came out and has beat the crap out of the player, and all is well with the joystick
eggosmile.gif

Jul 3, 2005 at 12:46 PM Post #53 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawdaddy
I get confused because the joystick / button operated differently between Music and Voice for example.

How do these operate differently? I mistakenly loaded a couple of cd's into my VOICE file and, while Windows acknowledges the discs are on there, I can access them on the player, I just get a blank screen and "No File" displyed when I press the joystick down on VOICE.

Jul 4, 2005 at 7:06 AM Post #54 of 69
From what I've read in this thread so far, it seems like I wont be needing that Portaphile V2. Just to confirm, do you guys think that I will need an amplifier with the X5L and Westone UM2's?

Jul 4, 2005 at 11:24 AM Post #56 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by SimpJee
From what I've read in this thread so far, it seems like I wont be needing that Portaphile V2. Just to confirm, do you guys think that I will need an amplifier with the X5L and Westone UM2's?

Now, I am sure eventually I'll be using one of my amps with the X5L here, sooner than later, but I haven't even felt the need to hook one up yet...the sound quality of the X5L (with the UM2's, of course) is so GOOD. I haven't even started screwing around with the EQ much either, and the sound is deep and rich so far.

Jul 8, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #58 of 69
OK, so I had to play with it immediately. First time I needed to pull out a manual to figure out some things. Not too bad just not as user friendly as I expected. Im not going to give a review as there have been enough so just some basics. Sound quality is like what people have been saying, its amazing and LOUD. Casing is solid but feels like super fine grit sandpaper, fingernails running across it can leave lines. It came with screen protectors which I used, but are they necessary? Upgraded the firmware already which was very easy. Noticed in the original firmware ALARM was spelled ALRAM. I had to laugh out loud on that.

I didnt install Jet SW, I just did drag and drop into the music folder as I had been used to with my h-120. Do I need Jet SW for anything?

Im clueless about the FLAC. How do I store/convert my music to it? I just have everything saved as WMA's. If thats a redundant question then I apologize, Im at work and dont have tons of time to search. If anyone has any direct questions about the player Ill be happy to be completely honest with opinions.

Jul 8, 2005 at 5:09 PM Post #59 of 69
stop talking about your new X5's! the jealousy is killing me
biggrin.gif

what of this talk about ID3 databse support in next firmware update? due to customer naggling? - so come on - everyone send a request at spam quantities*

[size=xx-small]*joke - I'm not having Cowon sue me
biggrin.gif
[/size]

Jul 8, 2005 at 6:00 PM Post #60 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperM3
OK, so I had to play with it immediately. First time I needed to pull out a manual to figure out some things. Not too bad just not as user friendly as I expected. Im not going to give a review as there have been enough so just some basics. Sound quality is like what people have been saying, its amazing and LOUD. Casing is solid but feels like super fine grit sandpaper, fingernails running across it can leave lines. It came with screen protectors which I used, but are they necessary? Upgraded the firmware already which was very easy. Noticed in the original firmware ALARM was spelled ALRAM. I had to laugh out loud on that.

I didnt install Jet SW, I just did drag and drop into the music folder as I had been used to with my h-120. Do I need Jet SW for anything?

Im clueless about the FLAC. How do I store/convert my music to it? I just have everything saved as WMA's. If thats a redundant question then I apologize, Im at work and dont have tons of time to search. If anyone has any direct questions about the player Ill be happy to be completely honest with opinions.

For flac you can use jet audio to convert. It's not going to be worth converting your wma files (lossey)- rip your cd's to flac for some awesome sound quality (lossless)
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back