X5L in my hot little hands
Jun 29, 2005 at 10:59 PM Post #31 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by rbf1138
make sure youre in the d-playlist folder when you hit forward...for me it just starts over the trac kits on.

Okay, are you in the actual list of songs in your D-Playlist (white background, yellow track icons)? If so, push the joystick button and push it again on "Play Now" to start the track. This should get you to the blue background screen showing the actual track that's playing and its' info. If you're in that screen and hit forward or backward, it should change tracks (not in your playlist order, by the way, if you have your player set up for "Random" play).
If this doesn't work, I'll keep trying, but I think it might do the trick.

Jun 30, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #32 of 69
I am curious now, what is the average playback time for the 20GB X5 and
30GB X5 Models you guys getting on a single charge?

On the cowonamerica website it states: "A continuous playback of up to 14 hours is possible after a full charge." I figure with the color display, and the
FLAC playback drains the battery. 14 Hours *eghhhh*
frown.gif
Might as well go for the X5L versions.

Is there an option for the display to dim, or turn itself off while in playback
mode to conserve battery power? Whatabout the USBOTG feature, is there
a menu option to disable this feature or is it only activated if something is
connected into the X5's data port?

Thanks.

Jun 30, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #33 of 69
another question...why do some songs display "vbr kb" instead of a bitrate?

edit: is it because with vbr its constantly changing so it doesnt display anything?

Jun 30, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #34 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by rab10
I am curious now, what is the average playback time for the 20GB X5 and
30GB X5 Models you guys getting on a single charge?

On the cowonamerica website it states: "A continuous playback of up to 14 hours is possible after a full charge." I figure with the color display, and the
FLAC playback drains the battery. 14 Hours *eghhhh*
frown.gif
Might as well go for the X5L versions.

Is there an option for the display to dim, or turn itself off while in playback
mode to conserve battery power? Whatabout the USBOTG feature, is there
a menu option to disable this feature or is it only activated if something is
connected into the X5's data port?

Thanks.

Personally, I haven't had my X5L 30 GB long enough to know the average yet, but I had it on for about 2 hours yesterday and a total of about 7-8 hours today. That's 9-10 hours and the battery icon is still 80% full. This is with me messing with it a lot, so the display was on quite a bit. There is an option to tell the player how long to leave the screen on bright as well as another power saver that turns it off when not playing any files. This is adjustable as well. I'm not sure about the USBOTG, but my assumption is that, if you're not using it, it's not sucking power.
To me, it made sense to spend the extra ~$30.00 and get the extended battery.

Jun 30, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #35 of 69
Just got my new toy today and WOW! is all I can say. This has the be one of the best built pieces of "kit" I have ever owned. The case is solid and smudge resistant , the buttons and joystick are stiff and firm and feel of metal, and the unit has a nice heft, but not heavy.

The sound is just incredible, with a nice neutal base and warmth and all the eq effects you could hope for, and the amp seems very powerful- very detailed and clean. I love the joystick navigation, and the unit is pretty easy to figure out. When they get id3 database , this unit will rule- even though I am used to file browsing from my flash players.

I know I sound like a fanboy lol, and there is always the "honeymoon" peroid with something new. Cowon has never let me down and it seems like they hit the ball out of the park with the x-5.

Radio reception is stellar , and of course the screen is very nice (love the little promo movies it shipped with).

So much to mess with , this is definatly a GEEK player
etysmile.gif

If I get motivated I will put some pics up later..... and more thoughts as my feeble mind can process them.

I LOVE YOU MR. UPS GUY
icon10.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 4:20 AM Post #36 of 69
The 30GB X5 is in my grubby little mitts.

So, what can I say about this Korean DAP wonder:

The build quality is what first strikes you the most, and it's really quite something. Matte black aluminum, not cheap plastic, with controls that move in precise increments and respond with a satisfying click. The design is pretty good, though I don't like how the screen bulges out. The headphone jack over in the corner is a little weird, but as long as you've got a right-angle cable, it's not a problem at all (score one for the UM2). The control layout is a bit bothersome though. I'll post more on what specifically is bothersome later. Let's just say that there are a lot of things I would have done differently. The accessories bundle is not bad, though I would have liked a carrying pouch like the one my Zen Micro came with. Oh well, I can still use the Micro's pouch - and do.

So, how does it sound?

With an earphone like the UM2, you don't need any bass-boosts or 3d sound enhancements, so all the gimmicks stay off, and EQ is at dead zero. The sound was pretty bad at first - no treble extension, no audible soundstage; but I figured the player was just warming up, and true to my belief, as soon as I put it through it's paces (let's say 30 minues of playing) the sound really opened up. The treble came out, the soundstage is now there, and everything is very, very smooth. Next to the micro, it has a more forward midrange, better detail, and just more smoothness overall. The soundstage is also better and more coherent, with less channel separation but a greater sense of depth. Files were in either 160-190k ogg or FLAC, and, well, with it playing FLAC, the sound quality is pretty darn good for a portable rig. It's still not a hi-fi component, but it's close enough that I don't care when I'm on the road.

An actual first impressions post to come later (maybe). Darn, I'm really liking this thing so far!

Jul 1, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #38 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
The 30GB X5 is in my grubby little mitts.

So, what can I say about this Korean DAP wonder:

The build quality is what first strikes you the most, and it's really quite something. Matte black aluminum, not cheap plastic, with controls that move in precise increments and respond with a satisfying click. The design is pretty good, though I don't like how the screen bulges out. The headphone jack over in the corner is a little weird, but as long as you've got a right-angle cable, it's not a problem at all (score one for the UM2). The control layout is a bit bothersome though. I'll post more on what specifically is bothersome later. Let's just say that there are a lot of things I would have done differently. The accessories bundle is not bad, though I would have liked a carrying pouch like the one my Zen Micro came with. Oh well, I can still use the Micro's pouch - and do.

So, how does it sound?

With an earphone like the UM2, you don't need any bass-boosts or 3d sound enhancements, so all the gimmicks stay off, and EQ is at dead zero. The sound was pretty bad at first - no treble extension, no audible soundstage; but I figured the player was just warming up, and true to my belief, as soon as I put it through it's paces (let's say 30 minues of playing) the sound really opened up. The treble came out, the soundstage is now there, and everything is very, very smooth. Next to the micro, it has a more forward midrange, better detail, and just more smoothness overall. The soundstage is also better and more coherent, with less channel separation but a greater sense of depth. Files were in either 160-190k ogg or FLAC, and, well, with it playing FLAC, the sound quality is pretty darn good for a portable rig. It's still not a hi-fi component, but it's close enough that I don't care when I'm on the road.

An actual first impressions post to come later (maybe). Darn, I'm really liking this thing so far!

great first impressions review. scared me a bit there at first with the sound quality impressions. really surprised you needed burn-in time. so how do you compare the SQ to the Micro w/ UM2s? or any other unit?

Jul 1, 2005 at 5:18 AM Post #39 of 69
I'll say again, compared to my micro, the X5 is just as good, if not better sounding.

Can soemone point me to where I can register my X5 with Cowon?

Jul 1, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #40 of 69
Quote:

I'll say again, compared to my micro, the X5 is just as good, if not better sounding.

Can soemone point me to where I can register my X5 with Cowon?

Iaudio.com

Jul 1, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #41 of 69
but where on that site? maybe im an idiot, but i cant find it...i tried signing up or whatever, but never got a confirmation email with password

Jul 1, 2005 at 8:56 PM Post #42 of 69
Quote:

but where on that site? maybe im an idiot, but i cant find it...i tried signing up or whatever, but never got a confirmation email with password

No your not an idiot, I never registed a product with cowon before, now I can see why.... the instructions are clear as mudd!
icon10.gif

I guess they are slow sending the numeric password lol. You don't need to register for warranty service , I have used it a couple of times and they are pretty good with service (if a little slow sometimes). Im signing up in case they have a coupon or a deal on accessories (gotta have the cradle)!

Jul 1, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #43 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanity8me
great first impressions review. scared me a bit there at first with the sound quality impressions. really surprised you needed burn-in time. so how do you compare the SQ to the Micro w/ UM2s? or any other unit?

You know, I'm really surprised, too. I thought it's just plug and play but I guess even digital players need a bit of time to get their act together. Or maybe my ears were off yesterday
rolleyes.gif

SQ is improved over the Micro with the UM2, but it's still not at the level of a hi-fi component. I'm using Flacs now exlusively, and I would say that detail retreival is definitely improved over the Micro, and the midrange is more forward. Everything is just smoother and more coherent.

However, I haven't had time for critical listening. I will do some over the weekend, but I'll leave impressions sketchy until then; I don't want to tell you wrong. I also need to test the line-out quality with the Stax 001.

The player is also a lot more compact than I thought it would be. It barely takes up more room than the Micro, even though it looks a lot bigger in photographs. I have no problems stuffing it into the Micro's traveling pouch.

Jul 1, 2005 at 11:21 PM Post #44 of 69
First DAP, so I'm learning. But I gotta say that the iAudio / flac combo is impressive. Still can't touch a real hi-fi system, but enough to keep me happy on-the-go
280smile.gif

2 questions:
1st - Where can I get a better case? Didn't like the Cowon offering.

2nd - What is your impression of the stock ear-buds? Sound pretty good to me - but would hate to miss out of better fidelity from another set.

Thanks!

Jul 1, 2005 at 11:41 PM Post #45 of 69

Users who are viewing this thread

Back