X5L in my hot little hands
post-1468247
Post #61 of 69

HyperM3

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 25, 2005
Messages
185
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jun 25, 2005
Posts
185
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads
For flac you can use jet audio to convert. It's not going to be worth converting your wma files (lossey)- rip your cd's to flac for some awesome sound quality (lossless)



Thanks for your quick reply. So now I have to 'reburn' all my cds to my harddrive? This is more time consuming than I had hoped. Is the sound quality really worth another 9837459847hours of downloading time?
 
     Share This Post       
post-1468350
Post #62 of 69

abitdeef

Formerly known as ihatepopupads
Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 30, 2003
Messages
6,259
Reaction score
3,061
Joined
Oct 30, 2003
Posts
6,259
Likes
3,061
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperM3
Thanks for your quick reply. So now I have to 'reburn' all my cds to my harddrive? This is more time consuming than I had hoped. Is the sound quality really worth another 9837459847hours of downloading time?


Lol, you know how many times i ripped cd's into aac, atrac,ogg, flac


Just try one and see what you think, if you have good cans you can definatly notice the difference. FLAC eats up more battery though
I myself have most of my stuff in lame vbr , only the "special stuff" is in flac ie. pink floyd, radiohead, the orb, some jazz, and classical- stuff that has alot going on in it. Hard rock - ac/dc , aerosmith, van halen all sound great with lame vbr. I myself never used wma , but i'm sure it's close to vrb?
 
     Share This Post       
post-1468423
Post #63 of 69

Caboose

Head-Fier
Joined
May 13, 2005
Messages
77
Reaction score
0
Joined
May 13, 2005
Posts
77
Likes
0
I've gone in and ripped a CD using FLAC and played it back using Jet Audio. Then I ripped the same CD using Windows Media and at 128kbps, and played it back through WMP. I could tell the difference, but not enough to justify the 7-8X file size for the FLAC vs. the 128kbps WMA file.
That being said, if I decide to rip all of my CD's to store on DVD's as a back-up to the original, then I will definitely rip them using FLAC, or the most lossless format I can find. For everyday listening however, I'm contenet with the 128k WMA file.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1468443
Post #64 of 69

HyperM3

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 25, 2005
Messages
185
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jun 25, 2005
Posts
185
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caboose
I've gone in and ripped a CD using FLAC and played it back using Jet Audio. Then I ripped the same CD using Windows Media and at 128kbps, and played it back through WMP. I could tell the difference, but not enough to justify the 7-8X file size for the FLAC vs. the 128kbps WMA file.
That being said, if I decide to rip all of my CD's to store on DVD's as a back-up to the original, then I will definitely rip them using FLAC, or the most lossless format I can find. For everyday listening however, I'm contenet with the 128k WMA file.



Thats what I was looking for. Thank you
 
     Share This Post       
post-1468448
Post #65 of 69

LFC_SL

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
3,529
Reaction score
246
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Posts
3,529
Likes
246
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caboose
I could tell the difference, but not enough to justify the 7-8X file size for the FLAC vs. the 128kbps WMA file


exactly
however in 3 years when 80gb drives are the norms, I think everyone will have gone lossless
 
     Share This Post       
post-1468454
Post #66 of 69

HyperM3

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 25, 2005
Messages
185
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jun 25, 2005
Posts
185
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL
exactly
however in 3 years when 80gb drives are the norms, I think everyone will have gone lossless



In 3 yrs youll be able to burn dvd's right to your brain.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1468492
Post #68 of 69

O2K

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Posts
9
Likes
0
i ordered my x5 on the 6th at night from amazon, i ordered one day shipping and was supposed to get it on the 8th, it still says its getting "prepared to being shipped" i called and got a refund on my shipping( which saved 20 dollars), but im still upset because i know i wont have time to get it ebcause im never at home (todays the last day of vacation), enough of my blabber, i hope i get it today (even though the chances are slim)
 
     Share This Post       
post-1476338
Post #69 of 69

SamL88

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 20, 2005
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jan 20, 2005
Posts
4
Likes
0
Hey X5 owners, I have a couple of quick questions.

How is the voice recorder? Good?
Is it good enough to record class lectures?

*If you have an iPod and voice recorder accessory for it, how does the X5's voice recorder compare to it?

Thanks, it should help me in my decision. Don't really want suggestions on any other player, I'm mainly focusing on the iPod Photo 30gb and the X5 right now.
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top