X3II next firmware bug / improvements wish list
May 2, 2015 at 3:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 89

chompy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

After having my X3II some days with me, that's what I've found should be corrected / improved in next firmware:

1. Single mp3 + cue or single flac + cue gapless playback. At present gapless playback only works when changing files, if the change in done inside the actual file via the cue file there's a nasty pause between "virtual" tracks.
  2. In addition to file name and title, add the option to show "Artist - Title" in the scrolling bar. This is important primarily when playing compilations in single file + cue as in current firmware is impossible to know the artist of each track.
  3. Improve the speed of scrolling bar or even better let this speed be user selectable.
  4. Show bitrate in track info screen.
  5. Add the option to remember pause button state when pressing previous or next button or when powering up unit (the same behaviour as when going back from hibernation mode).
  6. Remove 5800 song limit (that's not important for me but other's may think different).

Please, when you have any beta firmware correcting any of these issues, please share it with us.

Thank you

May 2, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #2 of 89
First I want to say that I'm very happy with the X3 II. But there's room for firmware improvements:

1. Increase the scrolling speed or make it user selectable
  2. Provide easy access to the equalizer
  3. While in the menu clockwise rotation of the wheel leads to a downwards movement, in the equalizer it's the opposite; harmonizing this would facilitate intuitive operation (valid for the X5 as well)

I also hope that the 5800 song limit will be removed, and it would be nice to get the bitrate displayed.

May 2, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #3 of 89
An improvement suggestion: when under the following menus there should not be a leading track number on the song name. It should read "All Things Change", not "01 All Things Change". So, just the title, not the track number and title. I have my files named track number track name. So it must just be displaying the file name. Please just display the song title name.

Category > All Songs
Category > Artist > All Songs
Category > Genre > Then any Genre selected
Category > Favorites

At the levels shown above the track number is not needed, in fact it makes finding tracks more confusing. This was an issue with the X3 gen 1 too.

May 2, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #4 of 89
As suggested by @baudm : Open source the UI.  I know this is a long shot, but I see a lot of good that could come out of this not only for the community but FiiO. 

May 2, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 89
My wishlist ever since I got the 1st gen X3:

• Scrolling acceleration - high-priority - please, please, please...
  • Add "Ask" option to USB mode - nice to have - upon connection of USB cable, ask whether to use the X3 as storage or DAC. Really useful if you frequently switch between modes.
  • Quick access menu for EQ in Now Playing screen/DAC mode - nice to have - similar to the tone controls (bass and treble) in X3 1st gen FW2.x

May 2, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #6 of 89
make creating playlists easier, it would be awesome if it would be possible to just add songs to 'now playing' without having to play them first and save this playlist internally.
e.g.: longpressing play in category mode should open up a menu where you can chose between: 'insert song to now playing' 'insert song next' 'insert song last' 'insert song random' 'add to playlist' 'replace now playing'

let me explain the menu items:
'insert song to now playing': add the song to the currently playing ones
'insert song next': add the song to now playing, playing after the current one.
'insert song last': add the song to the last position of the playlist.
'insert song random': add the song at a random position
'add to playlist': add the song to a specific playlist (not now playing)
'replace now playing': delete complete playlist (now playing) and start a new one with this song

it would also be great if we could edit the playlist while in now playing.
for example when you listen to a song, you don't want to keep in the playlist, it would be a great feature to just remove it. Or the ability to save the playlist you just have created with the features from above.

e.g.: longpressing play in now playing should open a menu where you can chose to remove the song from the current playlist, or to save the current playlist internally. 

I know longpressing play in now playing is currently taken for the volume control, but honestly, I think the buttons on the side just do their job perfectly!

shortcut entry for EQ in now playing, alongside add to playlist, delete, etc.
faster hibernation. It would be great if we'd be able to set the idle timeout below 60s
faster screen-timeout. Please make it like the first gen. X3 with a minimum of 10 seconds. 30 is just too much.
ID3 tag based file sorting instead of filename in category mode (this has been requested several times, I know)
- Sort by Album Artist/ Composer (also requested a few times now)
scan playlist files on the SD Card and show it under 'Playlists' in category mode

already posted that on the fiio.me forum... hopefully it gets some recognition.

May 2, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #7 of 89

1. Single mp3 + cue or single flac + cue gapless playback. At present gapless playback only works when changing files, if the change in done inside the actual file via the cue file there's a nasty pause between "virtual" tracks.

This.

May 3, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #9 of 89
I agree with the recommendations already posted. One thing I would like to see would be the ability use the back/forward while the screen is off. If I want to advance to the next song while the screen is off, I have to turn it back on first then hit the forward button. I can see this maybe being ideal if you have the player in your pocket and don't want to accidentally hit one of the front buttons but it's kind of unnecessary if you aren't worried about this.

May 3, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #10 of 89
One more wish:

I would prefer if, when being paused, the player would stay paused after skipping to the beginning of the current song (or the next song). Now it begins to play in this case (other than the X5).

May 3, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #11 of 89
  I agree with the recommendations already posted. One thing I would like to see would be the ability use the back/forward while the screen is off. If I want to advance to the next song while the screen is off, I have to turn it back on first then hit the forward button. I can see this maybe being ideal if you have the player in your pocket and don't want to accidentally hit one of the front buttons but it's kind of unnecessary if you aren't worried about this.

It looks like you need to use Lockscreen mode 3:

In Lockscreen mode 3: in addition to the above, the previous / next buttons at the bottom respond.  Press briefly to skip to the previous / next tracks; no response on holding down these buttons in lockscreen mode.  

Refer to: http://www.fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40267&extra=

May 3, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #12 of 89
  It looks like you need to use Lockscreen mode 3:

In Lockscreen mode 3: in addition to the above, the previous / next buttons at the bottom respond.  Press briefly to skip to the previous / next tracks; no response on holding down these buttons in lockscreen mode.  

Refer to: http://www.fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40267&extra=

Hey thanks for that info! I'll give that a try.

May 4, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #13 of 89
Would it be possible to get an equalized signal through line and digital out, as in the X5? Or is it a hardware based limitation?

May 6, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #15 of 89
I'd really like to be able to change the function buttons on the front to volume controls. When using in a pocket, the side volumes are awkward. Volume is the second most often used function for me and not having to pull it out would really be nice. The wheel option is ok but again you have to take it out. How about another lock mode that would incorporate that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back