X3 Optical Output won't work
Aug 20, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #31 of 36
I have to agree with you that there are issues with most types of complex technology and that it is unreasonable not to expect the odd issue.

I would argue though that there are varying levels of what a consumer should expect based on the functions the gadget is expected to perform. For example my Galaxy S3 acts as a phone, camera, video, games consol, music player, calendar, weather station, sat nav etc etc etc and I would be more forgiving of issues with it than something with a singular function, i.e to play music files. 

As I have already stated, I think the guys at FIIO have produced something that, when working, produces a quality of music that is quite frankly, amazing.

There have been several comments by reviewers on other sites who all seem to draw a common conclusion, and that is that the X3 is not quite ready. I suppose a manufacturer walks a fine line between too early to release and just missed the boat. So I can understand why FIIO went ahead and released it, effectively playing catch up with Firmware updates. 

From a personal point of view I believe the X3 IS worth investing time in, just like I did when I build my Sinclair ZX80 in 1980 from a kit. That was very much lots of pain for very little gain. At least with the X3 a little pain gives you a lot of gain :)

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #32 of 36
Quote:
There have been several comments by reviewers on other sites who all seem to draw a common conclusion, and that is that the X3 is not quite ready. I suppose a manufacturer walks a fine line between too early to release and just missed the boat. So I can understand why FIIO went ahead and released it, effectively playing catch up with Firmware updates. 

Never quite read any review that say X3 is not "ready", but yes, there are some bugs. The X3 has been 3 years in R&D before release (long story there) - If anything, it already missed that boat 3 years ago. The problem with DAP from Chinese, and I do speak for all the Chinese DAP as I own quite a few of them, is that none of them has firmware that can compete with the Korean or the American. Software IS their weakness. Why? Because good software engineer is extremely rare and in high demand in China and most of them are hired by the big shots of the tech business. Small companies like FiiO can never afford to pay the same kind of salary as Foxconn, Acer or ASUS. That's why you will never find a (near) bug-free player by any of the local Chinese company as most of them don't even have a good enough software team (if they have one at all !!!). FiiO on the other hand is doing probably one of the best job among them on how fast they are doing bug fix and adding new features. If you are thinking that FiiO should have fixed all the bugs before release, then I would think you have no idea how this kind of business really work in the Chinese market. Takes the Chinese local music player manufacturer Cube as an example - I bought a player from them a few years ago, only see 3 update over the course of less than a year before it was abandoned and left with many bugs unfixed. Even worst is my 4 years old Gemei eBook reader that never receives any update at all, and still as laggy as the first day I received it. It is sadly a story that keeps repeating itself too often in China.  But how many bug fix since X3 was released 3 months ago? Already more than 5 times. Just ask anyone in the forum that is familiar with Chinese DAP market and I bet no one know of another company that is so actively in bug fixing. You have to look at it from the POV of a small company that is doing all they can on a brand new type of product they have no previous experience with, and in a harsh business environment that is not easy to overcome. Even big names like Cowon, Samsung or Apple have their bug fixing days during the early part of their business. They didn't pop up from no where and just suddenly be great. I think we can agree that FiiO still has some distance to travel before competing with the best in the business, and to be measured at the same standard will be too much to ask at this point.

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #33 of 36
Quote:
I have to agree with you that there are issues with most types of complex technology and that it is unreasonable not to expect the odd issue.

I would argue though that there are varying levels of what a consumer should expect based on the functions the gadget is expected to perform. For example my Galaxy S3 acts as a phone, camera, video, games consol, music player, calendar, weather station, sat nav etc etc etc and I would be more forgiving of issues with it than something with a singular function, i.e to play music files. 

As I have already stated, I think the guys at FIIO have produced something that, when working, produces a quality of music that is quite frankly, amazing.

From a personal point of view I believe the X3 IS worth investing time in, just like I did when I build my Sinclair ZX80 in 1980 from a kit. That was very much lots of pain for very little gain. At least with the X3 a little pain gives you a lot of gain :)

the only reason why there are some bugs is not because X3 is not ready to the market, it is because we try to satisfy our user and keep adding some new features. 

and I'd said, if I response you so many time and you still not happy, that is what out of our ability and service. you'd better hope other CEO can provide the same service to you and them help you check whether it is your DAC can't play the 192/24 or  X3 can't output 192k/24b music through coaxial out.

also , please tell me what brand and what model has so many features and is bugs free, and will you agree that iPC is also not ready to the market because it can't play flac, ape, cue, wma or others , not to talk extra cover, the lyrc, folder play... 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 12, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #34 of 36
The download user manual on the X-3 doesn't say anything about the unit not being able to play192kHz files through the coax output.

I messed with this for over an hour or more trying to play you guessed it 192kHz files before I got on line and found the cause.
The lower kHz files will play fine through the coax output to your sound system.
atsmile.gif

Nov 28, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #35 of 36
  The download user manual on the X-3 doesn't say anything about the unit not being able to play192kHz files through the coax output.

I messed with this for over an hour or more trying to play you guessed it 192kHz files before I got on line and found the cause.
The lower kHz files will play fine through the coax output to your sound system.
atsmile.gif

I believe that the inability to play 192khz files was in reference of TrevorR's Peachtree device, not the FiiO X3, which has multiple confirmations coax working fine..

btw; JamesFiiO, as someone who was not familiar with your company until recently, your constant commitment to customer service by personally addressing so many concerns along with the solid value in the company's products themselves has been recognized by many.. it was a big factor in my purchasing a X3 and recommending it to others.. I am very glad to see that the firmware is being upgraded (EQ, USB DAC were huge one for me).. it is very rare to see a company add such major features like this to a product so quickly, it makes us customers feel appreciated - most companies are happy they took your money and don't want to spend any more time on current products and move on to the next development project.. I think people forget that FiiO is paying a software engineer to do these things (directly or even if outsourced, indirectly), so thank you for your commitment to your customers and I am sure that if FiiO continues to release products with such good value and keep up on the customer service front, people will continue to buy and recommend FiiO products..

Nov 28, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #36 of 36
There is more to this than just plugging it in as I have found out.

I have learned a few things about my X-3 after my first post. It will play the 192k FLAC files if you have the equipment on your end to do so.

I do not. My surround system will only allow me to play up 96k files through the coax cable and it works fine with great sound. There is no problem with the player the problem lies in my system. I found this out through trail and error and reading.

Now through the line out it works great with my older HI-Fi system (this is my main system for music only) and has a wonderful sound, it also works great from the headphones output as well.

So I was totally wrong and sorry for leaping before I looked. The FIIO X3 is a great player that I have come to really enjoy listening to everyday and would recommend to anyone who want to get into listening to hi-res music at a smart price.
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back