X3 DAC and Win8.1 USB connection failure (not drivers)
Aug 19, 2014 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

jelinj8

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I have a atrouble with win8.1 and X3 (fw3.0) as a DAC. I have installed the drivers with driver signature disabled (I'm a sysadmin and a programmer, so no trouble here), but the X3 won't connect in DAC mode.
Trouble is that Win8(.1 ) resets newly connected device several times just after connection (if you connect e.g. Arduino board, it is reset about five times in two seconds and then boots). It seems that X3 can't cope with this - the DAC screen just flashes once, then it shuts down or returns to player mode. Windows are seeing the device for about a second, but before recognizing it, it disappears.
USB MassStorage mode works OK. It used to work with win7 very nicely for about a year, but the computer motherboard died and I had to get new WIN license (thanks HP :frowning2: ). I think that it has worked on my laptop with win8(.0), but I use the E10 with that for some time, so I'm not sure if it stopped to work with the 8.1 update.
My E10 amp doesn't like it either (several pops in sound after connection/boot), but it connects and work in the end.
Does somebody know how to disable this USB probing in W8? My X3 isn't the only device having trouble with this, but it is the only one I own that isn't working at all, not just annoying.
More systematic solution would be probably Fiio adding a delay before the X3 goes from DAC to OFF or player mode after USB reset, so windows would "see" the device long enough to be detected correctly, but that requires a FW change.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back