X-PSU DIY project?
Jul 26, 2001 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

blr

500+ Head-Fier
Hi.
I was just wondering does anyone know how to build something like Musical Fidelity X-PSU power supply unit. I mean, this thing retails for 200 USD and is thought to be a toroidal trsansformer. Good toroidal transformers can be bought for 30-60 USD plus how much the capacitors etc could be, so I tought it can be a considerable saving plus a DIY fun ofcourse.
The X-can runs on 9V AC.

Jul 28, 2001 at 6:06 AM Post #2 of 9
In fact, you don't even need a toroidal tranny. A simple filament tranny housed in a steel case would work just as well - since the PSU can be placed several feet away from the amp. The cable is nothing more than a 2-wire with a DC power plug at the end. Of course, the X-PSU has that nice extruded aluminum case....

Jul 28, 2001 at 8:48 AM Post #4 of 9
Yes, that's exactly right. Audio Advisor used to have a drawing of the interior of the X-PSU and it was nothing more than a transformer. The AC adapter that comes with the X-Cans supplies AC at the output so there is no capacitor ripple filtering.

Perhaps there was RF filtering. I doubt there was any significant surge protection. Even if there were, most AC power strips today have the same built-in.

Jul 28, 2001 at 9:46 PM Post #5 of 9
Wow, more than 200 bucks for a toroidal traf in a can, well done Musical Fidelity.
Now, can someone who has the X-psu and havre opened it confirm that, ie that there is only a traf their, the primarys to the mains and from the secondary directly to the output.
If so, it's very easy to built it and cheaper too.

Jul 30, 2001 at 7:52 AM Post #6 of 9
it is allthe look of the can I tell ya ~!

nice solid MATCHING looking cans to rest of X -series equipments
smily_headphones1.gif

blr~ plz report back if you do start on this project ~!

Tides

Jul 30, 2001 at 10:02 AM Post #7 of 9
Yeee, matching looks but isn't it a bit too expensive at 250 bucks for a transformer in a can.
It is probably worth if you have more X-ponents but only for one... Gee, it doubles the price of the X-CanV2.

Before I start the project I should know for sure what's inside the X-PSU and hopefully get some schematics.
Cmoy, thanks for the info. I've seen the AudioAdvisor picture but it looks too schematic for me. I mean there may be other parts thet they omitted just to make the drawing simpler.
If anyone has opened their X-PSU please post comments. Pictures will be great too.
Thanks.

Jul 30, 2001 at 11:21 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by blr
Yeee, matching looks but isn't it a bit too expensive at 250 bucks for a transformer in a can.
It is probably worth if you have more X-ponents but only for one... Gee, it doubles the price of the X-CanV2.

That is the exact reason why I have not pick it up, I had 2 chances to pick it up at 150 and 185 , decided to pass.

I JUST have the xcanv2 and I cant justify spending close to 200 for a transformer. I actually love the sound as is, even with the bass
wink.gif
The improvement with xpsu is something I can live without. I rather use that 200 bucks on a next level AMP or one of the PORTA corda that Jan M is doing WITH MONEY left to buy more CD !

Tides

Jul 30, 2001 at 11:32 PM Post #9 of 9
Agree 101%.
But if I can get an transformer plus a box for say 70-80 bucks total and spend half an hour putting it together it will be nice.

In fact, I don't even have the X-Can. I've borrowed one just to evaluate it and am still debating with myself whether to go with it or jump into something pricier. Unlike you guys in the US I don't have to worry about availability. It is still in every shop in Stockholm town.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back