X Pic
Oct 17, 2002 at 6:40 AM Post #5 of 26
this amp from my research is a high end integrated amp. I don't know if it has a headphone out...
Pigmode does not mess around with his sound system...I think this puppy goes for like $3000 msrp.
perhaps pigmode could elaborate....you devil!
md

Oct 17, 2002 at 6:56 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by millerdog
this amp from my research is a high end integrated amp. I don't know if it has a headphone out...
Pigmode does not mess around with his sound system...I think this puppy goes for like $3000 msrp.
md

Thats a real 'LOW' budget amp
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2002 at 3:55 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by millerdog
...I think this puppy goes for like $3000 msrp.
md

It's worth a little less that half that, but only because of the upgraded transformer, the intergrated option, and a few other minor details. The base price for this stereo 2A3 SET amp built by Don Garber of Brooklyn, is $895. No headphones, just speakers.

Oct 18, 2002 at 7:11 AM Post #8 of 26
Hmmmm....must have gotten some bad info on the price, what little there is out there.
md

Oct 19, 2002 at 3:21 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
It's worth a little less that half that, but only because of the upgraded transformer, the intergrated option, and a few other minor details. The base price for this stereo 2A3 SET amp built by Don Garber of Brooklyn, is $895. No headphones, just speakers.

I remember reading about this amp on MSNBC a while ago. They also have another piece of equipment, a preamp perhaps?, shaped as a "Y". Anyway, how does it sounds?

Oct 19, 2002 at 5:04 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Onix
I remember reading about this amp on MSNBC a while ago. They also have another piece of equipment, a preamp perhaps?, shaped as a "Y". Anyway, how does it sounds?

Onix,
The Y is a 6922 based preamp. He also builds a higher end pre and 2A3 monobloc amps mounted on horizontal chassis, which is what MD was refering to.

I initially ordered the Y preamp as the first step in switching over to SETs, but just said "phooey" and bought the amp instead. The Galante Rhapsody speakers were then ordered to match. I got tired living in the limboland of incremental upgrades that never quite seemed to come fully together.

I have only 28 hours on it right now, but enough of the initial harshness associated with new tubes and electronics has gone away for me to say that I will be firmly commited to SETs from here to my next SET system. This amp is incredibly smooth and detailed with great attack/decay and a unique (for me) sound presentation that I cannot describe at the moment. The midband is glorious and the bass is fast and tight.

In 28 hours of listening it has done little to no wrong, and that is really saying something. I'm very picky. If something doesn't work for me, it gets dumped.

Oct 19, 2002 at 9:23 PM Post #11 of 26
Pigmode, your profile indicates that you listen to classical music. How do this amp and your Galantes sound on big orchestral climaxes? With such low power, and tubes to boot, can you get detail and definition from all the instruments, plus good volume also?

Oct 20, 2002 at 3:38 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Calanctus
How do this amp and your Galantes sound on big orchestral climaxes? With such low power, and tubes to boot, can you get detail and definition from all the instruments, plus good volume also?

A few details. The system is placed in a room measuring 10'x11'x8 that is acoustically untweaked at the moment. Rated at 96dB/1w/1m, the Rhapsodys impedance load never dips below 6.2 ohm.

From speaker face to ear, the distance is under 7'. Since I listen at an avg. of 74 to 78 dB, I seem to have a decent but not ample amount of overhead. On average I rarely have to turn the vol. past halfway (except for Telarc discs). The system handles your run of the mill crescendo with ease--with clarity and authority.

Mahlerian climaxes may be another story. I'm not familiar enough with the system to take a guess at this time, but there may be a bit of clipping or compression going on, and/or there may be the case that the acoustic limitations of my room become more pronounced during those power filled passages. I believe that my system could perform better in a slightly larger room where it might breath easier.

Another limitation is the listener himself. The most dynamic speaker I have experience with is the admired (by me) Avante Garde, but only for a brief listen. I do not know the full sonic potentialities of my Telarc Mahler's 5th, so I cannot tell when and where the system or the recording is at fault.

Big Orchestral sound is a recognized Achilles' heel with SET, and especially with moderately efficient speakers such as my Galantes. All of this considered as a whole, I think it performs very well, to brilliant in that respect.

Oct 20, 2002 at 9:35 PM Post #13 of 26
Thanks pigmode. Sounds like you are really happy with your system! I've also heard the Avantgardes and liked them a lot. They are the kind of speaker that could be driven by flea powered tube amps...are you thinking of upgrading to those at some point?

Oct 20, 2002 at 10:19 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Calanctus
Thanks pigmode. Sounds like you are really happy with your system! I've also heard the Avantgardes and liked them a lot. They are the kind of speaker that could be driven by flea powered tube amps...are you thinking of upgrading to those at some point?

Calanctus, I checked your system and its pretty impressive.

I'll be moving into a bigger place in a year or two so I want to make a hugh upgrade right around that time. I think a second-hand pair of AvantGardes would be in my price range but there are a lot of options I need to check out. Here is the short list:

Galante Buckingham
DC Faircurve
Kiipsch or Altec Horns

I hope to do some auditioning in the Bay Area as soon as I have some time.

Oct 21, 2002 at 12:22 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
Calanctus, I checked your system

I'm still a relative newcomer to serious audio; only a few of my friends are into audio and none have SET amps, so I'm interested to hear about your positive experiences with it.

The speakers on your shortlist are not really well-known brands, which means that you must have done a lot of research/auditioning to pick them over more widely reviewed ones. I've gone with stuff that has been widely reviewed, but I'm not yet fully satisfied. Eventually I will give SET/horns a serious audition if at all possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back