X-Fi: Why does volume control work in ASIO?
Mar 5, 2007 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

db597

100+ Head-Fier
I have my X-Fi setup in Audio Creation Mode - bit matched playback. It's playing MP3s in Foobar. The settings are Creative ASIO Front L/R. No DSP etc done.

Strangely, the windows volume control mixer still has an effect on the sound volume. I remember on my Audigy2 ZS, the volume control stopped working when I went into ASIO mode.

Is this normal for the X-Fi? How to check that I'm really using ASIO?

Mar 5, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 15
I always thought windows volume still worked, but the player's volume doesn't.

Mar 5, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 15
Are you sure your main volume control didn't work with your Audigy2? Both the main volume control and the player's volume control should work fine with ASIO output. The "wave" output volume control, however, does not apply to ASIO streams.

Mar 5, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 15
In my case, moving the volume slider in the windows volume application changes the volume slider level in the PatchMix software as well. Basically what I mean is that the volume control in windows appears to be directly manipulating the soundcard drivers, and no using kmixer to modify the bitstream.

Mar 5, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #5 of 15
Are you using the digital output? With digital out, nothing I've done effects the output volume. However, when using the analog outs, the volume controls still work (but I assume it works on the final output stage only)

Mar 5, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #6 of 15
Thanks guys. My previous setup was Winamp + Otachan's ASIO plugin. The volume control in Winamp didn't work in ASIO mode. I don't recall checking the Windows volume control - assumed that it wouldn't work either. So I guess I'm in ASIO mode since Foobar is set to use that.

Comparing the X-Fi to my Audigy ZS, I found the bass to be stronger. But the treble less sharp - so I thought perhaps it was due to ASIO not being setup properly. Come to think of it now, maybe the Audigy's treble was simply rather shrill.

Mar 5, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you using the digital output? With digital out, nothing I've done effects the output volume. However, when using the analog outs, the volume controls still work (but I assume it works on the final output stage only)

Nope, I'm using the onboard DAC of the X-Fi. Didn't realise it would still work for the analogue outputs in ASIO mode. If the volume control works, then it's not bit-perfect anymore is it?

Mar 6, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by db597 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, I'm using the onboard DAC of the X-Fi. Didn't realise it would still work for the analogue outputs in ASIO mode. If the volume control works, then it's not bit-perfect anymore is it?

If you change the volume when using ASIO the signal should still be bit-perfect. I assume that you can't control the "wave" slider and you can control the normal volume.

I think this slider controls the opamp on your soundcard. I am not entirely sure about this though. It will however not affect bit-perfectness if you change the volume AFAIK.

The only way to check this would be to get digital out to a receiver and play a .dts file. If the receiver will show it as a DTS file playing then it still is bit-perfect. Otherwise the file is corrupt and it won't play at all or will be distorted.

Edit: btw I made a thread about this. I am not sure whether you already read it or not, but it contains info about these things. I am going to have to check on the volume issue. My only problem with checking is that I do not own a receiver which can play DTS files and show it as such. Maybe you want to sponsor me?
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #9 of 15
@EnOYiN. Thanks for the tip on the DTS check. I think I vaguely remember reading your thread before. I don't use the digital out, so I didn't think it would be applicable.

When I strike the Euro millions lottery, remind me about the DTS receiver. At the moment, I'm only just about getting by myself (Head-Fi purchases are NOT helping!). Bought since Head-Fi (last 8 months):

1. Senn HD595
2. HeadFive
3. LDM+
4. AKG K701
5. X-Fi Xtreme Music
6. Zu Pivot cable
7. QED J2P cable
8. Antec Sonata II computer case (for quiet 120mm fan)
9. iPod 30GB and Belkin screen protector
10. iPod Shuffle 2nd gen
11. Senn CX300
12. IXOS XHA406 cable

Mar 7, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #11 of 15
So with ASIO and an X-Fi, are we supposed to hook our headphones up to the mic/digital plug? Im kinda new to ASIO, and people are suggesting that it sounds better I guess, but I dont notice a huge different between it and normal winamp without ASIO. Like I configured foobar and ASIO and audio creation mode just like someone told me, doesnt sound alot better.

To tell you the truth, I ripped my music to FLAC from 128Kbps, and (puts on flame retardant suit) I dont hear a huge difference either. Maybe I am dying?

Mar 7, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My only problem with checking is that I do not own a receiver which can play DTS files and show it as such. Maybe you want to sponsor me?
biggrin.gif

I got my Toshiba SD-6109C for free :p. I have my old Yamaha TSS-1B mini 5.1 Amp you can have. but its headphone jack sucks, it really cuts out the bass alot.

Mar 7, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by db597 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have my X-Fi setup in Audio Creation Mode - bit matched playback. It's playing MP3s in Foobar. The settings are Creative ASIO Front L/R. No DSP etc done.

Strangely, the windows volume control mixer still has an effect on the sound volume. I remember on my Audigy2 ZS, the volume control stopped working when I went into ASIO mode.

Is this normal for the X-Fi? How to check that I'm really using ASIO?

I know that Foobar's volume control works in ASIO, Windows Volume Mixer "Wave" does not work, I can't remember if "Master" volume works.

Mar 7, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #14 of 15
The "Volume" slider in Windows works for both ASIO and KS driver, but the "Wave" slider does not work for either. This is a sign that your driver is loaded properly. Switch it back to DS and both the "Volume" and "Wave" sliders will work too. Volume output should also have increased with these two driver over DS.

Now if only I can get the crackle and pop out of ASIO I might use it !

Mar 7, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #15 of 15
As EdT said, the windows volume should still work but the volume adjust in winamp should not. I haven't tested if I have true bit-perfect output because I don't know how to without using a receiver....I just hope mine is setup correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back