x-fi elite vs external dac
Mar 28, 2006 at 8:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

coolshot

500+ Head-Fier
currently on my pc rig i have an x-fi plat. I hear the dac on the elite pro is the same as the one on the emu 1212. I am also a gamer so those effects and stuff in game mode is beneficial. On music i turn all those off and leave eq on rock.

would an x-fi elite pro or a dedicated external dac prove to be a better upgrade. Im looking for an improvement in music mostly. Something that can warm up the sound, add bass/impact and have more details is always a plus.

Mar 28, 2006 at 8:37 AM Post #2 of 6
If the DAC is the same on the 2 cards then it depends on the caps and opamps used on the cards. On top of that a DAC (depending on which) might and probably will be an even further upgrade.

-Alex-

Mar 28, 2006 at 8:48 AM Post #3 of 6
let me clarify, im looking for an elite pros internal dac vs $500 external dac, not elite vs 1212. If the difference is significant and the external dac is better, i can always just pass a bit-perfect signal through to the external.

Mar 28, 2006 at 9:02 AM Post #4 of 6
The difference will be there. Also depends on which DAC (Once again). In the end it depends on your gear and your hearing level. I would suggest you to buy a DAC and give it a try. If you don't think its worth it then just sell the DAC or return it.

-Alex-

Mar 29, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #5 of 6
small correction: elite pro dac is same as 0404 dac

I've been wondering the same thing, and after quite a bit of searching these forums I came away with this impression: elite pro is about equal with the 0404. They have different sounds, but the differences are tradeoffs instead of one being just outright completely better than the other. However something cheap like a Lite DAC-AH (~$175) is tons better than the emu0404. I'd expect a more expensive standalone dac to be even better.

elite pro ~ emu0404 <<<<<<<<<<<<<< dac-ah

correct me if i'm wrong
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back