x-Cans V2 PSU completed!
Nov 21, 2002 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

PinkFloyd

Headphoneus Supremus
I've completed the power supply for the X-can and am overwhelmed by the difference in sound quality! I didn't think it would make "that" amount of difference but.... it has, and more!

The Power supply itself runs as cool as a cucumber but the X-can appears to heat up a lot faster with the new supply.. anybody here know how long it takes the casing to become warm with the standard wall adaptor?

The casing becomes warm after about 30 minutes with the new supply.. I suppose it's because it has more power on tap, comments appreciated.

You can see the design here http://freespace.virgin.net/rock.grotto and look for the "power supply" link

Pinkie

Nov 21, 2002 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman
How much voltage did you measure at the output?

It was between 12.3 - 12.6 Volts AC. The wall wart measured between 12.4 - 12.7 using the same multimeter.

The x-can is not running "hot" it just seems to take less time to warm up.

I used a 12v AC 50 VA transformer (50 watt)

Pinkie

Nov 21, 2002 at 5:00 PM Post #4 of 20
PinkFloyd,

Wow! You did a great job with this PSU.Looks great!

Right now, I'm using a Tamura 12VAC 750ma wall wart for my X-Can v2 and it seems to work very well. The transformer gets hot,but the amp only gets slightly warm. But, I did rig up a RadioShack 2 Amp 12VAC transformer a few weeks ago and Yes, the X-Can v2 did sound a lot better, but the Amp was getting very warm to hot after 1 hour.

So, I was concerned about the high heat of the amp and picked up the Tamura wall wart. Tamura also makes a 12VAC 1-Amp wall wart with screw terminals, so you have to make your own DC connector cable.

I got the Tamuras at DigiKey.com Tamura website: www.tamuracorp.com

Nov 21, 2002 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Magic77
PinkFloyd,

Wow! You did a great job with this PSU.Looks great!

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

So, I was concerned about the high heat of the amp and picked up the Tamura wall wart. Tamura also makes a 12VAC 1-Amp wall wart with screw terminals, so you have to make your own DC connector cable.

I think the amp running a bit warm is better than the transformer running warm? If the transformer gets hot it means it's under rated and is struggling to deliver the necessary current. If the amp runs warm and the transformer cool then I can only assume the amp is being fed a better diet of current... then again I may be speaking a load of rubbish!

The amp is not running "hot" it's just heating up a lot faster than it did with the standard wall wart. It also sounds like a totally different amp, so much more air around the instruments and the bass is almost electrostatic sounding like a good pair of ribbon speakers.

Just checked it again and it's "warm" to the touch which it should be?? If it wasn't warm with a couple of valves inside the case it would be a bit odd?

Pinkie
tongue.gif

Nov 21, 2002 at 5:37 PM Post #6 of 20
I agree; the extra heat is OK as long as you are getting the great sound. I just wasn't sure if it was "safe" to run the amp with higher current ratings, being that Musical Fidelity supplies the 500ma wall wart.

Your PSU design is what the X-Can v2 definitely needs for peak performance, and of course the On/Off switch!!

Nov 21, 2002 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 20
Nice job Pinkie! I also like your website, too.
(This reminds me of an article I read some time ago suggesting why a bigger transformer will sound better. I will see if I can locate it. )
(later that day-) I can't locate the article, which was on the PS Audio web site originally, but the idea was that a early preamp from PS Audio suddenly sounded better when the tranny was replaced with a same voltage, higher current tranny, and further exploration determined that it wasn't a avaliable current issue as much as it was the lower source impedance that the larger transformer provided for the power supply. They offered the larger tranny as an optional upgrade to the design.

Nov 21, 2002 at 6:33 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Magic77
I agree; the extra heat is OK as long as you are getting the great sound. I just wasn't sure if it was "safe" to run the amp with higher current ratings, being that Musical Fidelity supplies the 500ma wall wart.

Your PSU design is what the X-Can v2 definitely needs for peak performance, and of course the On/Off switch!!

The guy at Musical fidelity said a 50VA transformer would be ok.. the amp will only draw the current it needs.. you can't "feed" it with current it doesn't require.

Theoretically it would be ok to use a 12V 1000VA transformer but the case would have to be pretty big!

Pinkie

Nov 21, 2002 at 6:41 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Budgie
Nice job Pinkie! I also like your website, too.

Why thank you!

(This reminds me of an article I read some time ago suggesting why a bigger transformer will sound better. I will see if I can locate it. )
(later that day-) I can't locate the article, which was on the PS Audio web site originally, but the idea was that a early preamp from PS Audio suddenly sounded better when the tranny was replaced with a same voltage, higher current tranny, and further exploration determined that it wasn't a avaliable current issue as much as it was the lower source impedance that the larger transformer provided for the power supply. They offered the larger tranny as an optional upgrade to the design.

Also... the higher the VA lower % of regulation is acheived.. note that a 1000VA toroidal achieves 4% typical regulation compared to a 30VA with 18% typ. regulation.

VA regulation temp dimensions fixing hole wt.
Rating % typ. C. Dia. x H. # kg
30 18 40 82 x 39 M5 0.58
50 14 42 87 x 42 M5 0.8
80 14 53 104 x 44 M6 1.1
120 10 52 104 x 52 M6 1.45
160 9 55 115 x 53 M6 1.75
225 9 60 126 x 52 M6 2.25
300 8 60 126 x 65 M6 2.8
500 6 68 148 x 65 M8 4
625 5 68 140 x 70 M8
1000 4 68 160 x 70 M8

Nov 21, 2002 at 7:01 PM Post #10 of 20
If the discussion seems a bit disjointed, it's because I just merged three different threads from three different forums, where the same original post was made.

Nov 21, 2002 at 7:10 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
If the discussion seems a bit disjointed, it's because I just merged three different threads from three different forums, where the same original post was made.

Whoops! apologies, I am new to "forums" and not really sure of the etiquette as yet.

Is there any chance of moving this into the cables and tweaks section?

Cheers

Pinkie

Nov 22, 2002 at 6:44 AM Post #12 of 20
Pinkie,

Went thru the photos to see how the work's been coming along. Most impressive, most impressive indeed!!!! Very clean, fit, an well done I must say. Two thumbs up from this side of the pond. I hope many X-Can users take note and either order one from you or start following in your newly laid tracks!!! Great pioneering effort.

Nov 22, 2002 at 6:49 PM Post #13 of 20
Have uploaded more pics of the power supply I made to power the X-can V2. I've added a couple of tweaks such as ferrite rings to the incoming and outgoing power leads but, at this stage, don't hear any difference to the sound as yet.

I will be building a new case over the next few weeks out of tubular steel and am pretty confident I can get it to look similar to the X-PSU (apart from the grooves in the case )

Power supply MK1 was just to see if there was any sonic improvements to be gained over the 500ma pregnant plug (wall wart) and it has improved sound pretty dramatically.

Not too sure if the inlet filter is of any real benefit and will try the PSU with just a Standard IEC inlet and see if it adds or detracts to the sound.

Will also be employing shielded cables and high quality switch to MK11 and will report on the latest developments at:

http://freespace.virgin.net/rock.grotto/index2.htm click on "power supply upgrade" link.

All the best

Pinkie

Nov 23, 2002 at 8:29 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Budgie
I can't locate the article, which was on the PS Audio web site originally, but the idea was that a early preamp from PS Audio suddenly sounded better when the tranny was replaced with a same voltage, higher current tranny, and further exploration determined that it wasn't a avaliable current issue as much as it was the lower source impedance that the larger transformer provided for the power supply. They offered the larger tranny as an optional upgrade to the design.

Budgie,

That sounds like an article in the recent issue of Stereophile which features the new digital switching amp by PS Audio. This is the issue with the giant amp on the from that looks like a piece of architecture more than an amp.

Nov 24, 2002 at 9:43 PM Post #15 of 20
Hi

The 50VA toroidal is going to be replaced with a 20VA laminated transformer and the IEC filter is going to be binned.

Full explanation to follow.

The PSU shown at http://freespace.virgin.net/rock.grotto will "not" damage your x-ponent in any way but it is not the "optimal" power supply for the X-can V2. It's a huge improvement over the wall wart but I have designed the Ultimate PSU which Makes the X-can V2 really sing.

It turns out that the laminated standard tranny performs better than the toroid and , indeed, has far better tolerances...

Watch this space

Pinkie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back